Profile for Ian Tandy > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Roland GAIA SH 01 Synthesizer
Roland GAIA SH 01 Synthesizer
Offered by Reidy's Home Of Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality synth which not only sounds great but looks cool!, 22 Jan. 2016
Present for my daughter who is delighted. She can't stop playing it and it looks cool as well!

Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve Re-Animations Vol.1
Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve Re-Animations Vol.1

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 22 Jan. 2016
Some great mixes, some ok mixes, some not so good mixes! Overall worth buying for a brilliant mix of Midlake's Roscoe.

Jesu / Sun Kil Moon
Jesu / Sun Kil Moon

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like Sun Kil Moon then you will like this, 22 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Jesu / Sun Kil Moon (Audio CD)
If you like Sun Kil Moon then you will like this; if you don't like Sun Kil Moon then you still might like this. I don't understand the reviewer who talked about Mark reciting instead of singing lol. I don't think he has listened to a Sun Kill Moon album otherwise he would know that this IS Mark singing! Oh and I couldn't detect any "fuzz" on the guitars! It is mainly synths anyway. So what is it like? Surprisingly similar to a Sun Kil Moon record but with added synth. In other words it is really good.

Tombstone
Tombstone

5.0 out of 5 stars For fans of guitar albums, 16 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Tombstone (Audio CD)
I just love this album and if you like Neil Young and Crazy Horse Zuma period, then you will love it too. An album packed with great tunes and some heroic guitar solos. I guess you could call it desert rock. A very under rated band who are massive in Germany! They should be massive here too, give it a listen.

Roger Waters: The Wall (Special Edition Digipack) [Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Roger Waters

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 16 Nov. 2015
While I understand the few critical comments regarding Roger's dialogue interupting the live concert footage, I do not agree. For me the 'road trip' scenes dovetail perfectly with the live concert footage. I found Roger's journey very moving and it added to the experience of The Wall, rather than detracted from it. The concert itself was magnificant and having seen the original 1980/81 Wall shows I was impressed how Roger has adapted and developed the themes of The Wall so that it remains as relevant today as it was 35 years ago. Overall this is an excellent release that is an essential purchase for any fan of The Wall.

Inventions For Electric Guitar
Inventions For Electric Guitar

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Over Hyped, 15 Jun. 2015
I have wanted this album for years but it was either unavailable or astronomically priced. So when I saw it had been reissued and re-mastered at a more down to earth price, I ordered it. Considering this album features on many electronic/ambient best titles lists, and I like Ashra and German electronica in general, it was I am afraid a disappointment. Far too repetitive and meandering without producing those moving moments that make the never ending build up worthwhile. It is of interest for those who collect early German electronica but I much prefer Tangerine Dream / Tarwater than this, although it is not without merit.

Strange Trails
Strange Trails

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely Album Spoiled by Appalling Production, 15 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Strange Trails (Audio CD)
The music is so enjoyable that I just couldn't give it less than 4 stars, but in all honesty the sound only gets the one star. Uncut magazine says it sounds like they stood back from the microphones and recorded in an empty barn. That is about right which is a real shame because it does spoil what should have been an Americana classic.

All Your Favorite Bands
All Your Favorite Bands

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 6 Jun. 2015
This review is from: All Your Favorite Bands (Audio CD)
Dawes don't try and be revolutionary, there is no musical experimentation here, no pushing of the boundaries. What you do have though with "All Your Favorite Bands" is a classic Americana album packed with great songs that you are sure you heard on the radio in the 1970's. Sometimes you hear Jackson Browne, The Eagles, and bizarrely The Blue Nile (Don't Send Me Away), but Dawes are no pub tribute band. Superbly written and recorded, this album is a gem from start to finish.

Hand.Cannot.Erase
Hand.Cannot.Erase

4.0 out of 5 stars Sure I have some Porcupine Tree albums and I do have one other solo album 'Grace for Drowning' which I really do not like. So on, 12 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Hand.Cannot.Erase (Audio CD)
Ok first things first, I am not a Steven Wilson devotee. Sure I have some Porcupine Tree albums and I do have one other solo album 'Grace for Drowning' which I really do not like. So onto the review, well I am a sucker for concept albums and this is such a beautifully melancholy one. The album has a more modern feel to it than his previous work (in my opinion). Of course there are still the 1970's synth excesses and general progressive rock sound, but this time there is also an abundance of grooves and some great melody and lyrics. Overall an impressive listen and I welcome the more modern sound.

I purchased the twin disc version with the 5.1 DVD. For three pounds more it is a no brainer. I have read how much Steven believes in high quality sound and I applaud that, although I would point out that this 96/48 (is that right?) sound will only sound 0.1% better on a high quality system. I have a decent surround sound, but an excellent hi fi for cds. The stereo CD is light years better sounding than the higher definition DVD. Not that the CD is superior, but the hardware playing it is superior. I don't think Steven takes this in to account enough in his interviews. I know this is nothing to do with the review of the music but I felt like saying it anyway!

Volume IV: The Classic Singles 88-93
Volume IV: The Classic Singles 88-93
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars I think it fair to say that 1988 to 1993 was not classic period for great music but this band are certainly an exception, 28 July 2014
This cd was an absolute bargain. I remembered Soul II Soul and a handful of their hits. I think it fair to say that 1988 to 1993 was not classic period for great music but this band are certainly an exception. There is not a dud track in this collection and the consistent quality is remarkable. Listening to this music you can hear the soundtrack for commercial dance music for the next decade. A very influential and talented band.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5