Profile for Louise > Reviews

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children [DVD] [2016]
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children [DVD] [2016]
Dvd ~ Eva Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for adults and children alike., 13 Jan. 2017
This is a wonderful fantasy film that will be enjoyed by adults and children alike.

I'm always a bit sceptical of these fantasy type films, but I do like Eva Green and think that she's usually good in most roles, she doesn't disappoint in this one. This is a lovely magical tale, but it does have some darkly gothic aspects to it which may make it unsuitable for younger children. It's beautifully shot, and well acted and whilst there is a lot of CGI, it's really something that you come to expect from a film of this genre now so I don't think you can complain about it. It's the perfect Sunday afternoon watch with the family.

The Miniaturist
The Miniaturist
by Jessie Burton

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping page turner, highly recommended., 13 Jan. 2017
This review is from: The Miniaturist (Paperback)
It's rare these days that I find the time to read a novel, but this one was so gripping that I finished it in a considerably short space of time, not because it wasn't a wonderfully written, complex or weighty tome but simply because I could not put it down.

The blurb has you thinking that this book could go either one way or the other, that is, fantastic or a bit flat. I admit, for the first few chapters I was struggling to get into it, and thinking it may have been one of those examples of successful marketing over decent content, how wrong I was. As soon as the characters are developed and the many complex storylines start to reveal themselves, it becomes really enthralling. With twists and turns in almost every chapter, you find yourself trying to second guess what will happen next, what the outcome will be.

All in, this is a wonderfully written book, and a very gripping tale. I would absolutely recommend that you put it to the top of your reading list right now.

Le Guide Officiel To Being British: How I Became British...Despite Being French
Le Guide Officiel To Being British: How I Became British...Despite Being French
by Mrs Muriel Demarcus

5.0 out of 5 stars An accurate, amusing and witty account of British quirks, 11 Aug. 2016
I really enjoyed this book for so many reasons. Muriel's writing is really personable and easy to engage with and it's really amusing to read that so many of the British quirks and dilemma's that she writes about are the very things that I as a born and raised Brit can totally relate to. I actually found myself laughing out loud at some of her commentary of life in Britain, afterall, who is that actress that keeps speaking to the Bishop? Her writing is witty, and her accounts accurate (the section about the British GPs and our healthcare system is shamefully accurate), whilst managing to incorporate a good bit of humour too. I can see why this book would be loved by any expats living in Britain, but actually as a Brit, I found it really insightful to understand that the things that irritate me are exactly the same things that irritate people who move to this country too. The chapters are short and sharp so I found this to be the perfect book to read on my daily commute, and would heartily recommend it to all.

Put on Your Pearls, Girls
Put on Your Pearls, Girls
by Lulu Guinness

4.0 out of 5 stars Frivolous fun., 20 July 2016
This is completely frivolous, but the artwork is beautiful and I am really happy I bought it.

What Would Grace Do?: How to Live Life in Style Like the Princess of Hollywood
What Would Grace Do?: How to Live Life in Style Like the Princess of Hollywood
by Gina McKinnon

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok just to dip into, 20 July 2016
This is a nice enough book for dipping into in order to glean little snippets on how to live a more elegant and Grace like existence, but it's not something I could really get my teeth into. Great for those 10 minute slots when you're waiting for dinner to cook or something, but not a really engrossing book.

Casino Royale: James Bond 007
Casino Royale: James Bond 007

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more gritty than the film, 29 May 2013
This is the first Bond book that I've ever read. It was very gritty, quite graphic and a really good read.

The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and realistic, 29 May 2013
I really enjoyed this book, I blazed through it in no time because it wasn't full of psycho jargon, and was genuinely good to read. I won't be starting my own happiness project but I did adopt some of the authors strategies and they really worked.

The Fog
The Fog
by James Herbert

4.0 out of 5 stars Not at all like the film, 13 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Fog (Paperback)
Since the film of the Fog is one of my favourites, I thought that I would give the book a whirl, and I'm glad that I did. The book is nothing at all like the film, but that wasn't a bad thing.

The book is set along the south of England, and following a major earthquake, a horrific fog is set loose upon the country. In its wake it leaves murderous insanity and anarchy.

It is a really well written book that kept me on the edge of my seat, a real page turner. The characters were well constructed, and the story well thought out. It was great and I'd really recommend reading it... although probably not if your easily offended by sex or violence as there are scenes of both within the story.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2012 5:47 PM BST

Hedge Fund Wives
Hedge Fund Wives
by Tatiana Boncompagni

2.0 out of 5 stars Covers ever female stereotype there is, 10 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Hedge Fund Wives (Paperback)
I certainly do not count myself as an extreme feminist, and there is nothing that I love more than a good frivolous book about shopping and ladies who lunch... that said, this book angered me. The problem with this book is that it's lazy, it bows down to female stereotypes to portray women as subservient, needy or homewreckers and all in the name of holding onto (or obtaining) men who have money. The men in the story treat them like dirt, but they let them because they want to be able to shop and buy whatever they want, which really just suggests that all women want is money and that love and companionship doesn't really matter. The women are in general poisonous to eachother, and I just think the book really does not do any favours for women. In the last couple of chapters the books heroine (if you can call her that) finally grows some balls and becomes an independent and successful business woman, but frankly it's too little too late. I really wouldn't read this book again, or recommend anyone who had the slightest sensitivity to feminist issues to read it either.

Celebrity Shopper: (Annie Valentine Book 4)
Celebrity Shopper: (Annie Valentine Book 4)
by Carmen Reid

3.0 out of 5 stars Lighthearted and warm, 25 Oct. 2010
This book was bought for me as a birthday gift, and I have to say I quite enjoyed it. Carmen Reid has a lovely style of writing which is very warm and light hearted, and the lead character Annie, despite having what seems like a wonderful (if hectic) life is a very likeable and non-spoilt character. The book is totally frivolous, but still manages to touch on issues such as serious illness and mourning as well as taking a look at family life too. This is the ideal sort of book to take on holiday as it's no too deep and it is fun. I particularly liked the way the outfit of the lead character in each chapter was disected at the beginning, very daily fashion blog I thought. Definitely a pleasing, warm and fuzzy read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4