Profile for Colin Weeks > Reviews

Content by Colin Weeks

Colin Weeks

DSTE 2pcs NB-10L Li-ion Battery for Canon PowerShot G1 X, G15, G16, SX40 HS, SX50 HS
Offered by QiaoJL

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Value, 11 Jan. 2016
Someone is getting quite rich selling the 'pukker brand' of battery for the Canon SX50HS. I don't suppose it's the factory staff. I haven't noticed any significantly lower charge-holding performance, but I haven't kept detailed records. Having lost 2 of the more expensive brand of batteries when they slid out of my camera bag somewhere in the countryside, these are very welcome, and I would happily buy them again.

Lenovo G500 15.6-inch Laptop - Black (Intel Core i3-3110 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Intel Integrated Graphics, Bluetooth, Camera, DVDRW, Windows 8.1 Home Premium)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop- shame about the installed bundle, 27 Mar. 2014
I'm starting with a (no doubt doomed) attempt to highlight our irritation with the plethora of unwanted pre-installed file back-up, anti-virus and other programs. It's hard enough to find your way around a new laptop, especially with Windows 8.1, without being exposed to intensely irritating attempts to get you to pay out yet more money.
You are pestered to buy another file backup program despite Windows 8.1 package already including free file backup. When negotiating from the Windows 8.1 start page to the control panel is confusing enough, you don't want to be tricked into buying more junkware. In our frustration, we ended up paying someone to de-junk the Lenovo.
I can now say that the laptop is a really nice, good-value machine with a pleasant-to-use keyboard, excellent screen, silent operation, and a good level of sound from the onboard speakers- not hi-fi of course, but very usable.

Epson Perfection V370 Photo 4800 dpi Scanner with ReadyScan LED Technology - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple and effective slide scanner, 31 Jan. 2014
I am really pleased with this purchase.
So far, I have scanned in over 500 transparencies dating from 1972. There are plenty more to do! I haven't scanned any photos yet. I am a bit worried that the V370 not cope with some old over-sized slides, I haven't fully explored it's capabilities, so there may be a way.
The scanner scans 4 slides at a go. You need to be patient and nimble-fingered to press the slides into the flat plastic 'cradle' which holds the slides in the correct position. and make sure they are oriented in landscape, front down and upside down. This is hard enough, but when you remove the 'cradle', It is easy for plastic framed slides to drop out, so you risk finger contact with the glass scanner platform.
My results have been good. Dust and fibres are the most common problem, and I use a Jessop's rocket blower to blow the slides as clean as I can. This can get pretty tiring for your puffing arm, but at least it does no more damage to the slides.
A small number of the slides which were frequently viewed 30 or so years ago, have scratches and/or slight fungal damage from contact with someone's fingers, and I will attempt to use Photostudio or similar to clean those up.
The software is supposed to identify and neutralize specks, but either it isn't very effective, I need better glasses, I have exceptionally big specks, or my puffing is just of a very high standard.
It really pays to devise a system to deal with massed slides. I set up my slide projector, scanner and PC within reach and arranged flat surfaces to make 4-stacks of clean slides, and re-box the scanned slides. I had a bag at hand for the many rejected slides.
Although more expensive scanners may offer greater automation and more powerful software, this scanner is very fairly priced, not too complicated and enables you to re-capture a large chunk of your past. Were we really that good-looking?

TP-LINK TL-PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit - Twin Pack
Offered by BESTBUYIT

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 9 Mar. 2013
It worked first time and gives an excellent transfer of the signal across a large stone built house from a so-called superhub to a back room. I was also able connect up the old pre-superhub Netgear router to resurrect the previous network for use with a tablet.

MOFRED® Purple Luxury Multi Function Standby Case with Built-in Magnet for Sleep / Wake feature for the Google Nexus 7 Tablet Android 4.1 Jellybean 8GB /16GB/32GB / 3G HSPA+ - Second Updated Version w/Sleep Sensor + Screen Protector + Stylus Pen (Available in Mutiple Colors)
Offered by MOFRED PRODUCTS

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value and good at it job!, 9 Mar. 2013
A very secure case. It grips the Nexus 7 on all 4 sides (unlike a similar looking case which had 2 inadequate elastic bands on 2 corners, and caused our Nexus to escape from waist height onto a hard floor).
The Mofred comes with a stylus and screen protecting films, though these films are difficult to put on without making a mess of the job. Maybe a simple instruction sheet would help?
The only real criticism of the case itself is that the elastic holster on the side which holds the stylus when it is not in use, needs one end to have a wider aperture to allow the stylus clip to be inserted more easily.

Ashbury AMC 30A ABS mandolin case
Ashbury AMC 30A ABS mandolin case

2.0 out of 5 stars It's far too long for my guitar!, 31 Jan. 2013
It arrived quickly. The reviews were almost exclusively 5 stars, so I had high expectations.
Unfortunately, the extension nut can only be used with a very wide necked guitar, unlike any I own.
The guitar I wanted to try this on is an acoustic, with a fairly standard 43mm wide nut and curved fingerboard.
The extension nut is considerably longer than 43 mm, so where the 1st and 6th string pass over the nut extension, they are not inline with the fingerboard. This is the case until you get to frets much nearer to the guitar body. Disconcertingly, the strings appear to be fanning out as they head towards the headstock.
I was aware:
(a)that it would raise the nut
(b)it was straight and
(c)therefore would not follow the curve of the finger board
(d)it could potentially dent the fingerboard
but I didn't notice any reviews by others who had my problems.
After returning the device, I used plastic shims to raise the nut. It's not a difficult job, and the strings remain over the fingerboard.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2014 3:51 PM GMT