Profile for Alison L > Reviews

Content by Alison L

Alison L (Brighton, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Nucleic-a Proteplex Moisturizing Shampoo (1 Litre)
Nucleic-a Proteplex Moisturizing Shampoo (1 Litre)
Offered by modern hairdressing professional

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely love this shampoo, 22 Jan. 2016
I absolutely love this shampoo! I can't recommend it highly enough! 25 years ago, my hairdresser told me to buy it, and I did, and have hardly used anything else since - on the rare occasion I've tried something else, my hair just doesn't look or feel the same. I have dry hair, and this product leaves it soft and silky and looking good. Despite the apparently high price, it's actually very economical, as it's so rich, you only need a little bit to get a good lather - a bottle can last me for nine months. So I really can't do anything but praise it.

(By the way, I ordered this from the seller on Thursday evening, they dispatched it on Friday morning, and it arrived today - Saturday - by registered mail, and really well packed. So excellent service, as well as an excellent shampoo.)

Wuthering Heights (Collins Classics)
Wuthering Heights (Collins Classics)
by Emily Brontë

5.0 out of 5 stars Great edition of a great book (for readers averse to eye-strain), 6 April 2014
This review isn't of the novel Wuthering Heights itself, as I'm sure everyone either knows it or knows of it, and already has strong feelings about it. I simply wanted to comment on this particular edition.

As Wuthering Heights is my all-time favourite piece of literature, I have many copies of it, from a variety of publishers. Some of these copies are more reader-friendly than others. Some books, for example, have tiny letters, which makes reading a strain, even if you're wearing your glasses, and therefore renders the whole reading experience less enjoyable than it should be. Some use user-unfriendly fonts, which it is also hard to comfortably read. And in some copies, the print is all crammed too closely together, and makes you instantly wish you were reading something with the words and sentences, and paragraphs, more spaciously set-out - it looks better with more space, not so daunting, it enables you to breathe while reading.

And therefore I wanted to recommend this particular edition, because it is the best version I have come across, in terms of all the things I've mentioned above. It has nice large letters - not too large, but large enough not to be headache-inducing; the letters are printed using an attractive font; there is enough space between the words, sentences and paragraphs to give the page a nice, spacious look.

This might sound like nit-picking, but if you want to ultimize your reading experience, I believe these things really do make a big difference. At last - a copy of Wuthering Heights I can read without hunching over it with a magnifying glass.

Not to keen on the strap-line on the cover: Bella and Edward's favourite book [Twilight saga] but that's a minor quibble, and in fact, having thought about it, it's interesting to see a connection between one of the greatest classics of literature, and a series of books and films that obviously resound very deeply with modern-day readers/movie-goers.

So, I am giving this particular edition five stars, and if you want a copy of Wuthering Heights that you can read with comfort, I strongly recommend you choose this one.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2017 11:04 AM GMT

Black Beauty [DVD] [1994]
Black Beauty [DVD] [1994]
Dvd ~ Sean Bean

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful film; beautiful music, 8 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Black Beauty [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
I agree with the majority of reviewers that this film is beautiful and simply enchanting (although a real weepie, so maybe not one to watch if you're feeling emotionally delicate!)

However, I am amazed that so few of the film's reviewers mention the soundtrack, which is simply ravishing; stunningly beautiful. The only film I can think of that has an equally amazing soundtrack is Edward Scissorhands - and surprise, surprise - that's because the soundtracks of both are composed by Danny Elfman - in my opinion the greatest living composer of the most gorgeous music you will ever hear, and incredibly under-rated - Danny Elfman should be much, much more famous than he is. (I attended a concert of his music at the Royal Albert Hall last year, in 2013, with an appearance by the man himself - and can simply not describe how wonderful an evening it was).

So, even if the film doesn't appeal to you (but it surely will), if you appreciate marvellous music, watch - and listen to - this fabulous film. Honestly, soundtracks don't come any better than this. (And the soundtrack CD, if you fall in love with it, as I have, is also available on Amazon).

Lovely story, lovely film, and music - out of this world.

The Frozen Thames
The Frozen Thames
by Helen Humphreys

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, amazing book, 24 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Frozen Thames (Hardcover)
This book is so amazing! Anyone who enjoys Winter, or the Thames, or history - or simply a beautifully written book, should most definitely read it. It's based on when the Thames used to freeze over during Winter and people could walk along it (or throw fairs on it)Starts off around 1066, goes up to 20th century, completely brilliant short stories (v short short stories), really make you feel you're back there in person, watching it all happen as you breathe in the icy Winter air. Hard to pick a favourite, but it's probably one about two lovers in the 17th century, one of whom has the Great Plague. Not many words - highly moving. Wish I had Helen Humphreys' amazing talent. Also, it contains beautiful illustrations. Have given several as presents and always well-received.

Please buy this book. 100% recommended.

Thankyou, Helen Humphreys.

Very First Words in Polish (Usborne First Words Board Books)
Very First Words in Polish (Usborne First Words Board Books)
by Felicity Brooks
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 22 Dec. 2013
I have just ordered a copy of this to be sent to my brother and his Polish wife, so I won't actually see it myself. However, most of the reviews are excellent, so I snapped up a copy. They are expecting twins: a boy and a girl, due in March; I'm thrilled! (I just wish there was a book called For Your Babies - plural - but you can't have everything! And they want to bring the children up to grow up completely bilingual, which I think is brilliant, and will be such an asset. So I am very pleased - even though I won't see it! - in advance with this book.

By the way, on a related subject I've just spent a week in hospital, and most of the nurses were Eastern European - from Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia, Poland - and they were absolutely wonderful. The male Polish nurse was great; he wrote me a few sentences in Polish to copy into my brother's Christmas card.

I wanted to say that anyone who resents Eastern European immigrants - and hopefully there won't be any on the entry for this book - should realise that they're an asset to this country and we are lucky to have them. I really believe the NHS would crumble without them all.

That's all - thanks for reading!

Credo
Credo
by Melvyn Bragg

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but typescript too small for comfortable reading., 17 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Credo (Paperback)
I first read Credo a few years ago, and absolutely loved it. Have long ago lost my original copy, to I decided to buy another one from Amazon, paperback. Unfortunately, the book, when it came, was unreadable due to the tiny writing. (What with my eyes not being what they were). So I ordered a hard-back copy, which is considerably bigger and oh so much better. It's not an ordeal at all to read it.

So, if you're thinking of buying this novel, if size matters to you, please do yourself a favour and buy the hardback. It's more expensive, but for all the time you're going to be investing in it (it's eight-hundred pages long!)well worth it.

Love Sick [2006] [DVD]
Love Sick [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maria Popistasu

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful piece of Romanian art-house, especially for lesbians, 14 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Love Sick [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
I don't write that many reviews, but I felt compelled to write a review of this, as my opinion of Love Sick is so different from that of many other readers. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and have watched it several times.

A lot of people have complained about the film being in Romanian with English subtitles. Well, what's wrong with that? The clue is in the description: it's a ROMANIAN film! Why shouldn't they use their language? And if you don't speak Romanian, which most English people don't, here's a chance to hear it, while reading the subtitles. How lazy do you have to be not to want to read subtitles?

As for the storyline, two girls, Kiki and Alex, fall in love. The girls are very different in character, and also in background. The sassy, feisty, and very beautiful Kiki, comes from a middle-class, academic background. Alex, on the other hands, is quieter, and her parents run a farm. I found it fascinating to see something I hadn't witnessed before, class differences in Romania.

Things are further complicated by Kiki's brother, with whom she is having incestuous sex. Naturally, this causes tension between the girls.

Although the characters are well-acted by both girls, my favourite has to be Kiki, played by Maria Popistasu. Some viewers might remember her as Vara in the excellent drama Sex Traffic, some years ago now. She also appeared in a drama aout Mary Queen of Scots, as one the the Queen's ladies in waiting. But I have never seen her in a poll of sexy gay women (or women who play gay characters), which I find surprising.

So if you only want to watch a really mainstream movie, in English, with no scary subtitles, give this a miss. On the other hand, if you don't mind watching something a bit different, and find the idea of another culture and language appealing, give this a go. And - did I say this before? - Maria Popistasu is well worth drooling over!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2013 11:23 AM GMT

The Christmas Tomten
The Christmas Tomten
by Viktor Rydberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 27 April 2013
This review is from: The Christmas Tomten (Hardcover)
This is one of several children's books about the Tomten (a Swedish folkloric creature rather like a troll) and in my opinion it is the loveliest. This would make a wonderful Christmas present for any young child - or indeed, for adults who enjoy beautifully illustrated fairy tales. In this story, the Tomten is similar to Father Christmas, dispensing gifts at Christmas. He takes a little boy with him on his snowy travels. Anyone who's read the other Tomten books will recognise the cute little face, with a ground-long white beard. He is a very cute character indeed. And the pictures are gorgeous. I can't recommend this lovely book highly enough.

Strictly Cat Dancing
Strictly Cat Dancing
by Felix Foxtrot

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 5 May 2012
This review is from: Strictly Cat Dancing (Hardcover)
I saw this book in a charity shop and bought it for a cat-loving friend. But I decided to read it first, and I loved it so much, I had to keep it for myself!

My friend didn't miss out, though; I bought another copy for her from Amazon, and also one for another cat-owning pal.

Basically, if you love cats you'll find it hilarious.
If you have watched Strictly Come Dancing, you'll find it hilarious.
And if neither of the above apply, you'll find it hilarious, too! I can't imagine anyone not finding it funny.

It is full of daft puns as we follow the journeys of Fifi and Felix,Alberta and Tommy, Mabel and George, and Poppy and Gaston (my favourites!) to win the championship, all done under the eagle eye of four judges (one of whom is a cat-loving dog) and the judges, the beautiful Bess and dapper Jasper. The pictures are brilliantly funny as the kitties do their work-outs and wow the judges with their fancy paw-work.

I think anyone would enjoy this fun book!

Music and Lyrics [DVD] [2007]
Music and Lyrics [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Hugh Grant
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Fluffy, frothy romcom and all the better for it, 5 Feb. 2012
I'm not normally into chicklit, and I'm not usually into romcoms, but this came on TV and I found myself watching it - and I'm really glad I did! It's in no way intellectual or challenging; it's the frothiest of frothy romcoms that's not going to stimulate anyone's brain - and it's also totally captivating, sweet, sentimental sheer girly escapism. Hugh Grant plays his usual role of a slightly bewildered Englishman, who used to be a popstar, fell out of favour, and is now attempting a comeback, aided by the adorable Drew Barrymore, the girl who waters his plants (no, I don't know why he can't water his own plants, either.) They have just a few days to write a song for a Britney/Christina look-alike superstar. You can guess what will happen at the end. Anyway, watch it with your girlfriends, or snuggle up in your snuggliest dressing gown like I did to watch it alone, and you're guaranteed to be smiling at the end.

Page: 1 | 2