Profile for Sean Bullock > Reviews

Content by Sean Bullock

Sean Bullock "Sean Bullock" (London, England, United Kingdom)

Chinese in 10 Minutes a Day
Chinese in 10 Minutes a Day
by Kristine K. Kershul

1.0 out of 5 stars STAY AWAY- YOU WILL BE DISSAPOINTED, 22 July 2009
I bought this book to get ahead before I started studying at tsinghua university in china on a foreign exchange course and I must say I was very dissapointed. Chinese pronounciation is very hard and without a CD/tape YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO DO IT FROM THIS BOOK ALONE. I remember when I turned up and started talking and people couldn't even understand me!! You also learn absoloutely NO WRITTEN CHARACTERS, so you won't be able to read anything, which, when you turn up in china, potentially, will make things even more difficult.

The way in which the course is set out also is very awkward- e.g. you end up leaning the key question words (zenme, shei, nar, shenme etc.etc.) all at the same time which I found very difficult to grasp.

The best way to learn chinese is to go to chinese school on a saturday!! If you don't have time for this then get a book which at least has a CD and teaches you to write the language well!

Palabra por Palabra: New Advanced Spanish Vocabulary
Palabra por Palabra: New Advanced Spanish Vocabulary
by Phil Turk

5.0 out of 5 stars THE FIRST CHAPTER IS PURE GOLD!!, 22 July 2009
I have just completed my A/S spanish and our language department forced us to buy this book and it isn't hard to see why. Not only does it give you TONS of really brilliant vocab to cram into your exam and get extra marks, but the first chapter contains millions of ways to introduce new ideas in an intelligent way (and also ways to introduce the subjunctive which just screams marks!! e.g. tiene que ser inconcebible que -it has to be unthinkable that SUBJ. :) rather than just saying 'pienso que' or 'creo que' all the time.

I also got the german version for my GCSE and it helped me to nail the oral and written exams THANKYOU PALABRA POR PALABRA!! :D
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2010 10:52 AM GMT

Japanese from Zero! 1: Proven Methods to Learn Japanese with Integrated Workbook and Online Support
by Mr. George Trombley

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 1 Oct. 2008
The best way to learn a language is to obviously have a professional teacher,

Im in year 11 at school, so I am too far behind to join the GCSE class, so I bought this and I thought I'd have a go at self study. Obviously, being in yr11 at secondary school, I have seen many different language text books, this is truely the best one I have come across!

This book is fantastic! It lays everything out really clearly, you make fast progress! The cultural notes are also helpful. You can go at your own pace too (which for me is probably faster than most people since I have also learned spanish, german and chinese ^^). So I can learn things at my pace, without people holding me back. Or pushing me too fast.

Of course, whether you succeed or not will depend on whether you're passionate enough about the lanugage to sit down every night and study! And no book can change that. I certainly am, and hope to get all the way to book five. In fact on the front of the book it has a japanese proverb that says: Piled up specks of dust become a mountain.

So if you're sitting at your computer wondering whether or not to go for this or a different book, this one is 100% recommended for anyone who wants to (or has no choice) but to self study!