Profile for T. Ljubic-Brown > Reviews

Content by T. Ljubic-Brown

T. Ljubic-Brown (Cambridgeshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
West End Girls
West End Girls
by Jenny Colgan

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 1 Jun. 2014
This review is from: West End Girls (Paperback)
I really enjoyed The Little Beach Street Bakery and thought I would give this one a try next. Unfortuantely it turned out very disappointing and downright depressing - while certainly exaggerated, the mirror it holds up to society (celebrity adoration, girls doing literally anything to bag a rich or famous guy) is just a bit too stark for a light read. I also couldn't warm to Penny's character whatsoever.

Little Beach Street Bakery
Little Beach Street Bakery
by Jenny Colgan

4.0 out of 5 stars Really lovely summer read, 1 Jun. 2014
This is a great read for summer holidays, lovely story with just the right balance of funny and sad/serious elements and characters you just really like. And if you are a Cornwall fan - you'll certainly enjoy this one.

The Lost Boy (Patrik Hedstrom and Erica Falck, Book 7)
The Lost Boy (Patrik Hedstrom and Erica Falck, Book 7)
by Camilla Lackberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Another page-turner, 23 April 2013
I know some other reviewers felt that this one wasn't as good as Lackberg's previous novels, but I have to disagree. Again it had me gripped from page one and the juxtaposition of home-life with kids and the murder mystery is again superb. Can't wait for the next one!!!

The Stonecutter (Patrik Hedstrom and Erica Falck, Book 3)
The Stonecutter (Patrik Hedstrom and Erica Falck, Book 3)
by Camilla Lackberg

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite so far!, 19 Dec. 2012
Again, Camilla Lackberg does not disappoint. I am reading all her books in order from the first at the moment and absolutely love her style and ingenuity. Each of her books is a little gem, this is probably my favourite so far (I am half way through The Hidden Child), but it's a close call.

The Emerald Forest
The Emerald Forest
by Robert Holdstock

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best stories ever, 20 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Emerald Forest (Paperback)
It's beyond me why this is out of print, I had a hard time tracking down a good second-hand copy. I first came across this book in 1986 in a hotel library when I was only 12 years old and it captivated me instantly. The film is equally compelling. The story of Tommy Markham who goes missing at the edges of Amazon jungle in Brazil, taken by the "Invisible People", a tribe of uncontacted Amazon indians. Also the story of his Father, Bill Markham, who ten years on is still looking for his son and convinced he will find him one day. A wonderful book, totally captivating. It poses interesting questions - from the destruction of the rain forest, preservation of ancient cultures to our own cultural identity and how easily it can be stripped away.

The Book of Summers: The Richard and Judy Bestseller
The Book of Summers: The Richard and Judy Bestseller
by Emylia Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay summer read, but not great, 18 Aug. 2012
I bought this book based on the reviews I had seen in various magazines and book lovers' websites, but I have to admit I did not really enjoy it. The idea is good and Hungary is a country rarely explored in contemporary fiction, but to be honest we don't learn much about Hungary, it's more full of clichés (I am from Eastern Austria originally, so do know a bit about it). The characters were not particularly engaging (I couldn't muster much sympathy for either Marika or Erzsi's father) and Erzsi's own character remains a bit flat. The plot dragged on and became repetitive. I finished the book, an okay summer read, hence the 3 stars, but it will go into the nearest book swap basket.

To Be Sung Underwater
To Be Sung Underwater
by Tom McNeal

5.0 out of 5 stars A simply wonderful read, 5 Aug. 2012
This review is from: To Be Sung Underwater (Paperback)
Right at the beginning of the book I was not entirely sure whether I would like it, I had never heard of the author and to be totally honest picked it up in a 3 for 2 deal as the third book. So very glad I did! The story really captivated me, transporting me back in time to Nebraska and Judith's youth. A poignant story of "what if's" and the different paths we take in life when standing at crossroads that a lot of people can relate to. Highly recommended!

Sugar Island
Sugar Island
by Sanjida O'Connell

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, but not fantastic, 5 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Sugar Island (Paperback)
This book is an interesting, if harrowing, read and provides details of a brutal and terrible time in history. The juxtaposition of the mesmerising island with its beautiful plant and animal life and the hell on earth of the life of the slaves makes this a worthwhile, if sometimes difficult read. My issue is with the main character, Emily. For a well educated woman, a published writer no less, and a celebrated acress she is portrayed as excessively naive and annoyingly slow on the uptake of her situation. A slightly more feisty heroine, which the original Fanny Kemble on whom the book is based, undoubtedly was, would have been preferable.

The Stranger's Child
The Stranger's Child
by Alan Hollinghurst

2.0 out of 5 stars Just didn't captivate me, 17 July 2012
This review is from: The Stranger's Child (Paperback)
I had high hopes when starting this book, but the characters and storyline just didn't captivate me. I laboured on, but found the majority of characters uninteresting, cold and ultimately unlikeable. The more interesting or endearing characaters (I don't want to give names away here) disappear early on. The First World War is completely jumped over between the first and second part. I have to admit I did not make it to the end of the book, which is rare for me, but I just plainly lost interest.

Im Land des Roten Ahorns: Kanada-Roman
Im Land des Roten Ahorns: Kanada-Roman
by Claire Bouvier

1.0 out of 5 stars Eine große Enttäuschung, 11 Aug. 2011
Leider entpuppte sich dieses Buch für mich als Riesenenttäuschung. Wenn sich der Leser erhofft, auch nur einen kleinen Einblick in das Leben und die Gesellschaft in Hamburg bzw. Kanada Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts zu erlangen, wird er das hier sicher nicht finden. Die Handlung ist weit hergeholt, unlogisch und ähnelt einem billigen Groschenroman. Die Hauptfigur, Jacqueline, schafft es bis Seite 148 nicht, auch nur ein wenig gesunden Menschenverstand zu gebrauchen. Die Charaktere sind streng schwarz-weiß gezeichnet - entweder überaus gut und edel oder abgrundtief schlecht (vor allem die Connors Verlobte Marion ist hier zu nennen...). Das Buch war eine einzige Zeitverschwendung und landet jetzt beim Altpapier - um die bezahlten Euro 10,40 tut es mir leid.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3