Profile for S. Firth > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sunshine Over Wildflower Cottage
Sunshine Over Wildflower Cottage

4.0 out of 5 stars Pets are for life!, 5 July 2016
A book that revolves around animals is always a winner in my eyes and each animal in this book I adored and wanted to know them even more than the people! I love how at the beginning Milly writes a beautiful dedication to all the pets she's had, as a huge animal lover I already loved that before reading.

The people in the book are also mostly great and Iris is definitely one to make you love her and and laugh with! I want to be part of the Old Spice Girls even though I'm not old enough and they don't actually exist.

There are a few reasons I didn't give full stars, I didn't wholly connect to Viv and Heath to be honest. I also wanted to slap or shake Stel numerous times which makes me sound evil but I couldn't help feeling frustrated with that character. And there were a couple of twists in the book which I'd guessed at already but those are just personal reasons.

This book is a really good read and I look forward to more from Milly.

A Spring Affair (THE FOUR SEASONS)
A Spring Affair (THE FOUR SEASONS)

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 stars., 22 Jun. 2016
I just finished this book today and, even though it was quite cliché and similar to a lot of chick lit books, I still found myself staying up far too late to keep reading it. I enjoyed the characters but like I say they were quite typical for a book like this, Lou- gorgeous leading lady but seeing herself as fat and un fanciable, she has a gobby best friend in Deb who is more like a sister, Tom who is the perfect bloke and obviously fancies Lou, who is completely oblivious to it (naturally). Crappy job, crappy life, crappy marriage, horrid sister, judgemental mother who favours the sister and all that jazz.

I sound quite negative but I actually did enjoy it and I love Milly Johnson but I could just do without characters I feel I've met in other books. I could have also done with some serious confrontations that were long overdue with some of the people in Lou's life but they never really materialised and things ended with these people relatively too smoothly for my liking. But a nice ending and enough good stuff in the book to keep me reading way past bedtime so it deserves a read I'd say.

The Last of Us: Remastered (PS4)
The Last of Us: Remastered (PS4)
Offered by games-n-console-land

5.0 out of 5 stars The best game ever made and no zombies in sight., 28 May 2016
There are few games released that are worth buying a console just for that game but this is one of them. In my opinion it is the best game ever made and it will take something extra special to ever be better than it. One of my bug bears is when people call it a zombie game, it's not. The enemies in this game are infected humans (and non infected ones too make no mistake) they aren't dead but very much alive and suffering a fate worse than hell.

The environments in this game are special and sometimes you just stop to take in all the details. Some people complain it's not an open world game so they mark it down for that reason. They don't understand the game at all if they do that because making it open world would be the worst thing you could do to a game like this, it would completely distract you from the amazing story.

The game play is excellent and easy to learn. Shooting enemies is very satisfying and crafting molotovs, shivs, etc is easy if you have supplies. Seriously search everywhere! Not just for supplies but collectibles too. The notes and recorders you find really add to the story and it's a shame to miss them.

Of course the best thing about this game are the characters. Joel & Ellie are the main ones and others you meet on your journey. Both Joel & Ellie are amazing and it's hard to pick a favourite in my eyes I love them both. Ellie is the best female character in any game ever made. Period. Their story together is sad, funny, dramatic, scary, amazing and beautiful all in one go. And the music in the game is excellent! Its so good it's my phone ringtone. It's spine tingling it's that good.

I can't praise or thank Neil Druckmann, Bruce Straley and the whole Naughty Dog team enough for the wonderous game.

Kill Me Again
Kill Me Again

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet., 7 May 2016
This review is from: Kill Me Again (Kindle Edition)
I've read all of Rachel Abbot's books now and I've no doubt this is the best yet. My only problem is I now find myself having to wait for the next release whereas before I had the next one ready to dive into. I hope the wait isn't too long I need my Tom Douglas fix :D

Nowhere Child: A Short Novel (Kindle Single)
Nowhere Child: A Short Novel (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff., 27 April 2016
I'm so glad there was a follow up to what happened to Natasha. This takes place 8 months after the end of Stranger Child and even though it's just a short story it's done very well. It's amazing I never thought I could feel sympathy for a criminal but I did for Natasha and her new friend and I really wanted her to come back to Emma so much. I wasn't expecting things to play out the way they did which is new for for me reading Rachel Abbott books as I can usually guess some stuff. And if you don't already love Tom Douglas (why not?!) then surely him cooing over little Ollie will change your mind. I'm satisfied with this book and it's conclusion though and can read the next book pretty sure in the knowledge that I will enjoy it.

Stranger Child
Stranger Child

5.0 out of 5 stars Range of emotions covered., 26 April 2016
This review is from: Stranger Child (Kindle Edition)
I stayed up until 6am to finish this book it was such a page turner. I have read all her books up to now and particularly love reading about Tom Douglas and fail to understand why people don't like this aspect of her books (too soppy for some maybe). Anyway the story in this one has kept me reading just like the other books. I do tend to guess what the twists are but I still enjoy reading them unfold. I was definitely a fan of Emma and went through all of her emotions regarding Natasha and her family. I look forward to reading the short story Nowhere Child and then her next book.

And maybe slightly spoilerish regarding Tom so be careful if you read on but my only hope is he rids himself of Leo and something starts with Becky who probably deserves him more and would treat him far better.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Purple., 10 Mar. 2016
I got the purple one it's a beautiful colour and design, nothing fancy but simply how I like it. The rotation is great, it feels solid when placed in the stand and it's a perfect angle to use the tab from, particularly great for watching videos. And the sleep function works perfect too so nothing to complain about here.

Sleep Tight
Sleep Tight

4.0 out of 5 stars More Tom is only a good thing., 25 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Sleep Tight (Kindle Edition)
My third read from this author and once again I really enjoyed it. And once again I loved Tom Douglas a little bit more! I was really glad to see Becky return too from the first book. I think I preferred the stories and characters from the other two books more but this one still kept me gripped and I was eager to keep reading.

I feel like I can't give Rachel Abbot's books more than 4 stars though as there are some minor annoyances that are probably just my niggles like all the looks and glances the characters give each other or noticing minor things people do or whatever I find it a bit annoying I mean do people notice that about others so much I don't know. It's hard to explain.

It's not enough to put me off her books at all though and I've got my next one ready to read while also buying her latest one. Reading them in order is the best way since you can follow Tom's story too.

The Back Road
The Back Road

4.0 out of 5 stars Even more drama than Midsomer., 18 Feb. 2016
This review is from: The Back Road (Kindle Edition)
After reading the author's first book I couldn't wait to start reading this one and read more about Tom too. I just finished it today and enjoyed it a lot! I also didn't guess the main culprit in this like I had in her first book which is always a bonus.

There were lots of things going on in this book, stalkers and hit and runs and affairs and secrets and all that jazz I think if you don't really pay attention you could get a bit lost. I guess Ellie is the main character in the book but she wasn't my favourite by a long shot in fact I found her a bit annoying and wimpy and found myself just rolling my eyes and urging her to just talk! When you read hopefully you'll understand what I mean. And i guessed who the rose man was quite early on but I didn't mind that I knew by the time it was revealed.

I'm enjoying that Tom continues to crop up in her books I hear he's in the next one too. This character intrigues me and I wonder if another character in this book that he grows close to will pop up in the next one. He's a character you want to see happy but I don't want him to become annoying by just growing close to women involved in his cases then nothing happening that would be weak and very annoying.

The book ended good and everything was tied up well. I am enjoying this author a lot at the minute and I already have the next book ready to read when my kindle charges.

BioShock Infinite (PS3)
BioShock Infinite (PS3)
Offered by Shop4World

4.0 out of 5 stars I love Elizabelle., 10 Feb. 2016
I got the special edition game for Christmas and just finished it tonight. I haven't played the other Bioshock games but I was informed you didn't need to as the story isn't a continuation but I may play them one day. I enjoyed this game a lot, it definitely kept me intrigued to keep playing and find out more about Elizabeth (or Belle as I called her, very Disney like) and why things were the way they were with her. She is an amazing character and along with Ellie in The Last of Us she's probably one of my favourite sidekicks.

The game play took a bit of time to get used to but once I did I enjoyed it immensely. I thought the fact you could only carry two weapons at a time would be very annoying but actually it didn't bother me as much and you soon figure out which combo works best for you. For me it was the Sniper Rifle/Carbine combo for the most part and my favourite vigor was the crows one. Another thing the game allows is looting bodies and bins which became quite addictive. Look everywhere you can and find voxophones that really add to the story and characters. I found the Lutece characters very intriguing. Elizabeth also helps with finding lock picks and other important things, she's actually very handy finding coins to spend in vending machines where you can upgrade your vigors and weapons to be more powerful she will also find health and ammo in battles when you are low.

The story can get quite complex you do have to concentrate on it especially nearer the end and after the credits rolled I was still trying to clear it in my mind just what I had seen but it's very good. I'd recommend staying until the credits have finished by the way.

The graphics aren't mind blowing but I don't care it's still very pretty and I still wanted to look around everywhere and read everything. The game does a good job of portraying horrid things like racism and it made me feel quite uncomfortable seeing that. I think one of my major negatives and why it has 4 stars is the saving. It was frustrating to not be able to save anywhere once I needed a break from the game. And the auto saves aren't as frequent as some might like so I found myself having to play another 10 or 15 minutes to get to a save point and if there are big battles on the way it can be annoying. Also there is only one save file which is OK for me as I'm the only one using my PS3 but could be annoying for some.

But yes it's a really good game with a strong story and fun, satisfying game play so absolutely recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20