Profile for DAVID HUDSON > Reviews

Content by DAVID HUDSON

DAVID HUDSON "Chelsea Boy" (Barnsley, South Yorks)

Page: 1 | 2
Traditional Yorkshire County Rose Flag Pin Badge ENAMEL LAPEL BADGE
Traditional Yorkshire County Rose Flag Pin Badge ENAMEL LAPEL BADGE
Offered by Emblems-Gifts Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Yorkshire and proud of it., 18 July 2013
I needed this Yorkshire Rose lapel badge to emphasise my Yorkshire roots whilst attending a wedding celebration at the Caledonian Club in London. Yorkshire and proud of it.
The badge worked.

The Last Train to London
The Last Train to London

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware - "live" not "studio" version, 21 Nov. 2012
Very disappointed. I downloaded this from "Electric Light Orchestra - Greatest Hits" thinking it was the studio version. Its a live version, but there is no indication of this on the album details. I eventually obtained the version I wanted from the "Discovery" album.

Can't Get It Out of My Head
Can't Get It Out of My Head

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware - "live" not "studio" version, 21 Nov. 2012
Very disappointed. I downloaded this from "Electric Light Orchestra - Greatest Hits" thinking it was the studio version. Its a live version, but there is no indication of this on the album details. I eventually downloaded the version I wanted from the "Eldorado" album.

Roll Over Beethoven
Roll Over Beethoven

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware - "live" not "studio" version, 21 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Roll Over Beethoven (MP3 Download)
Very disappointed. Downloaded this from "The very Best of Electric Light Orchestra" thinking it was the studio version. Its a "live" version - but there is no reference to this on the album details. I eventually downloaded the recording I wanted from "The Harvest Years".

The Rolling Stones No. 2
The Rolling Stones No. 2

5.0 out of 5 stars More stones before the hype, 14 Dec. 2011
The second UK Stone album. Really it was more of the same. And my comments on the first album apply to this. It never made it to CD format, but is now available in mp3 format. The songs on it were split between the 2nd & 3rd US albums "12x5" and "The Rolling Stones Now."

Mick & Keith were beginning to flex their song writing skills.
The Stones were about to burst on the world.

Listen and enjoy.

The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Stones - before the hype, 14 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Rolling Stones (MP3 Download)
This was my first Stones LP. When their albums got transferred onto CD format, this and its successor "Rolling Stones No 2" were overlooked in favour of their USA counterparts. Mow its available albeit on mp3 format.
This is the Stones when they were a r&b cover band. And its brilliant. No singles. No name or title on the cover, and its in magnificent mono. Unlike the Beatles, they were't pretty, and some even said they weren't musical. But they were raw. And there's definitely a hint that there was more to come.

It has the same songs as its USA counterpart with one exception. For the USA "Mona" was replaced with "Not Fade Away" which was the current single.

You know the rest.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2014 6:58 AM BST

The Tudors: Complete Series 1 And 2  [DVD]
The Tudors: Complete Series 1 And 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Offered by Clubit tv Retail

5.0 out of 5 stars Good. But entertainment rather than history., 15 Mar. 2011
This is not a ducumentary - its entertainment! But I know so many people who have seen it and have gone on to study this period of history in more depth.
Its a tremendous introduction to the period, but don't use it for serious revision for exams.

The Best Of Traffic
The Best Of Traffic

5.0 out of 5 stars A good intro to the music of Traffic, 13 Nov. 2009
This review is from: The Best Of Traffic (Audio CD)
I bought this CD to replace the LP that I bought in 1971 when I was a student living in Chelsea. I almost wore out the LP when I first got it, and listening to the CD I remembered why.
The tracks here are quite simply hypnotic. The singles "Paper Sun" and "Hole In My Shoe" are included - and though they are brilliant, they are not the strongest songs on the album. For me, the best is "Dear Mr Fantasy". I remember watching Traffic at the Finsbury Park Rainbow in the early '70s, and my mind being blown by Stevie Winwood's guitar playing on "Dear Mr Fantasy". Listening to this CD, I'm taken back to those days.
Happy days indeed!! What happened? Tell you what happened - life! Marriage, kids, mortgage. I wouldn't swap any of it, but it good to remember a time of freedom and wonder what happened to long lost friends.
This CD covers the early years of Traffic, and realisically has been replaced by "Smiling Phases" a double CD which covers all their career. But it is still a classic, and worth every penny.
Excuse me while I light the incense!!!

Beatles For Sale
Beatles For Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem in stereo, 9 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Beatles For Sale (Audio CD)
In the 1990s when I started replacing my collection of Beatle LPs with CDs, I was most disappointed to find that their first 4 albums (including "Beatles For Sale") were only available in mono. So when the remastered versions were released in stereo, I just had to buy "Beatles for Sale". Was I disappointed? Definitely not. The songs are still terrific, but sound even better. The only duff track is "Mr Moonlight" - and no amount of tinkering can make that into a good track. Perhaps "Leave My Kitten Alone" (now on Anthology2)should have been put on the original album instead. In fact, on this remastered version perhaps "Leave My Kitten Alone" could have been included as a bonus track together with "I Feel Fine" and "She's A Woman" the a and b side of the single that was released the same time as the original LP for Christmas 1964.
The stand out tracks for me are "No Reply", "I'm A Loser" and "Eight Days A Week",all of which were considered as singles before John came up with "I Feel Fine". In fact they are all outstanding tracks - including the covers (apart from "Mr Moonlight"). My favourites of the covers are "Words of Love", "Rock and Roll Music" and "Kansas City".
This album is rated by many as the worst Beatles LP. But it is still a Beatles album, and that means that if it had been released by any other group of the time it would have been regarded as their best.
Or am I just listening through rose tinted ears?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2014 12:32 AM BST

With The Beatles
With The Beatles

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute gem in stereo, 27 Oct. 2009
This review is from: With The Beatles (Audio CD)
"With the Beatles" was the first LP I bought way back in December 1963. And of course it was in magnificent mono! When I began to replace my Beatles LPs with CDs in the 1990s I was disappointed that the first four albums (including "With the Beatles" were only available in mono. With the release of the remastered versions in September of this year, I was overjoyed to find that ALL the albums were now available in stereo.
And what a gem this album is in stereo.
The songs are still great - it seemed that "It Won't Be Long" was on Two Way Family Favourites every Sunday, the Rolling Stones covered "I Wanna Be Your Man", but the song people seemed to rave about was "All My Loving". All these sound even better now they are in stereo. But my personal favourites in stereo when compared with the mono versions are:-
"Money" which is RAW, and has a different mix
"Please Mr Postman" which is my favourite from the album and
"Roll Over Beethoven" which definitely sounds totally different in the stereo mix.
A gound breaking album (for its time) which used the same formula as "Please Please Me" but included no singles so was excellent value for money.
My only criticism - perhaps the singles ("She Loves You/I'll Get You" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand/This Boy") could have been included as bonus tracks, together with "One after 909" from Anthology I.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2011 8:09 AM BST