Profile for Mr. J. Crook > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Persona 4: The Animation - Volume 1 [Blu-ray]
Persona 4: The Animation - Volume 1 [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Ami Koshimizu

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic, faithful and worthy for anime/non-anime fans alike., 4 Jan. 2016
Firstly I have not purchased this from Amazon but have a subscription to an anime streaming service. So this review is purely on the feature not any blu-ray extras etc.

That aside, this animation is incredibly faithful to the original game with only some details and minor characters missing(why no Yumi?!). You can watch this however and recall doing the exact same actions in game. Albeit with additional scenes(some extra backstory was very welcomed) etc.

You don't need to have played the game to enjoy this, though it helps in terms of knowing the characters and references. But I am sure if you watch this fresh you'll come to love all of the characters featured.

I'm not normally big on anime, but watched this as wanted more Persona 4 fill. It however had me laughing and on a few occasions tearing up on the edge of my seat.

The voice cast in the English dubbed version is mostly the same voice cast from Persona 4 / Persona 4 Golden which is great. I mean, we all love Yukiko's laughing fits and Teddie's playful erm, persona. Chie's voice actress changed between Persona 4 and the re-release, personally Erin Fitzgerald is far better so I am glad about this change.

The soundtrack to Persona is as fantastic as always and many of the songs from the games return along with a few extras. If you own a PS Vita I highly recommend picking up Persona 4: Dancing All Night.

In short, if you are a Persona fan/have played the games, this is a must watch(personally in the English dub rather than subtitles but that's personal opinion) even if you are not an anime fan normally. For those in the reverse, not played the games but enjoy anime, I'd highly recommend watching this then considering getting the games.

iReceiver Wi-Fi Music Receiver/Range Extender - Wirelessly Stream Stereo Music to Home or Car Speaker System Over Wi-Fi Network From Any Smartphone, Tablet or Notebook - DLNA Airplay Compatible - by AirMobi
Offered by Smart Shop UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Range was not bad. The software app was terrible and worth bearing ..., 4 Jun. 2015
Worked well for a few months. Audio quality was acceptable for the price. Range was not bad. The software app was terrible and worth bearing in mind if using an Android phone to stream audio rather than AirPlay. In fact streaming via the iReceiver app on Android was terrible. After a few months however the USB port snapped and fell inside the unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Work aboslutely superbly!, 21 Jun. 2014
I brought these as I do a lot of travelling for my hobby in meteorology, I was going to go down the CB route but that would cost the same amount as these 2-way radios for just 1 CB radio.

I wasn't too sure what to expect from radios costing as little as about £15-£20 each but they worked exactly as promised from the box.

However they do, from the box, work on the incorrect frequencies. So after testing them to ensure they work, I downloaded some free software from the sellers website, plugged in the programming cable ( sold seperately) and programmed in the UK 446 frequencies. This was surprisingly easy. Just a case of changing the TX/RX freqencies of the radios and writing to each of them individually which is done with a click of a button.

I got a remote mic for each radio which fitted and worked as expected. The audio quality is great in comparision to radios i've used in the past and it is easy to select the right channel even when not looking at the radio.

Not fully been able to test the range of them yet but will report back if any problems. Same goes for the battery life too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2014 8:01 AM BST

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic for the price, 21 Jun. 2014
I did not expect this to be as good as it is. But after receiving the item very quickly, unpackaging and then as soon as it was placed on my windshield and switched on, I knew it was a good purchase.

The quality of video is fantastic, very smooth and the audio capture was also very clear.

I used this with a Samsung 32GB Class 10 MicroSD card and it worked absolutely fine. I drove to my local petrol station and back to try it out, about maybe 15 minutes? The video during this time was about 1.24GB. So you can expect approximately 4-5 hours to fit onto a 32GB card at Full 1080p 30fps recording with audio.

The camera has got a Mini HDMI port on it, not full or Micro. Thankfully I had a cable spare and tried the videos back on my tv, looked absolutely great. People aren't lying when they say you can read reg plates up to about 30-35mph. You can also hear conversations in the car very clearly too which is good.

The power lead is very long so I will get round to trying to route it around my windscreen, that will be a task for another day! My 12v cigerette lighter has a USB socket in there which I use to charge my phone, but I may buy a long Mini-USB cable and dual USB socket so I can have both plugged in.

For £40 delivered, this is an absolute must buy! I did not get mine to make a claim if anybody hit my car, accidents happen after all. But more as a deterrent to the jerks on the road who are just outright careless rather than having human qualities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good things come in small packages, 25 Mar. 2014
I purchased this Router/Range Extender/Bridge as I wanted to add a G-only bridge via powerline to my existing network for legacy devices to connect.

This router is far smaller than I expected but is surprisingly powerful. Good coverage and good signal strength, the signal quality can drop off from a distance however but that may be more due to it being used in an area with a number of 2.4Ghz networks.

The setup was easy and once connected and set up you shouldn't need to re-configure the system again unless you change anything with your main network.

Being powered via Micro-USB is also a massive bonus as well.

Neotechs® VENT Car Holder Mount Cradle Dock Dash for Samsung Galaxy S3 SIII Mini i8190

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic... if it fits your cat, 4 Feb. 2014
I purchased one in 2013 as I don't want anything stuck to my windshield. This was nice and secure and it worked perfectly in landscape mode in my VW Golf. This + CoPilot and a car Dashboard app were a winning combination.

However, I recently sold my car and brought a Vauxhall Astra (98-04 shape) and this cradle does not sadly fit in the vent. I may try and see of a way of adjusting the cradle to fit securely but it certainly doesn't want to clip in place. I feel maybe different shaped clips would be better even if the cost of this goes up slightly, then it would be a 5 star review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great. Using it on Windows 8, 21 May 2013
I brought this device to live stream games from my Xbox/360/PS2/PS3 consoles. The device was very easy to install. Worked out of the box.

I take away one star as the software that came with it didn't work, however my Tricaster streaming software could see the composite input absolutely fine. Windows 8 has no issues neither. The quality isn't amazing, but that is to be expected for composite.

Masterplug SRGAUSBPB-MP Surge Protected Mains USB Charger
Masterplug SRGAUSBPB-MP Surge Protected Mains USB Charger

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good item, very convienient, 14 April 2013
I ordered this plug as I tend to have a lot of items on charge that use USB such as: Samsung S3, HTC 8X, PS3 controllers, Android tablet, Kindle etc to name a few.

The item arrived very quickly and well packaged, it looks superb.

I run it with a 4-way extension lead plugged in that isn't surge protected as this plug is which is a bonus.

It works as described, however sadly it will not charge my Asus Transformer Prime tablet, I assume the tablet wants to draw more power than the USB sockets can provide. It is a bit of a let down but for £10 I cannot really complain and so it only loses 1 star for this. I do still highly recommend it.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360)
Offered by eoutlet-uk

2.0 out of 5 stars Some innovation and changes please?, 13 Nov. 2011
I've been a fan of Call of Duty for some time. Ever since the original on PC.

Now true I wasn't a fan of Modern Warfare 2 but after seeing MW3 at E3 this year it looked amazing.

Sadly i'm really dissapointed. It is pretty much MW2 but skinned, some different maps and a campaign that is so so.

It certainly doesn't feel like a triple A title.

Of course the game premise will remain the same, if the formula works then why change it? But I can't help it has been released with a focus on multiplayer with not much new compared to previous Call of Duty titles.

No doubt we will once again be over-charged for extra DLC too. Though i'm tempted to get this on PC as may be better plus mods etc.

Other games manage to be similar but different to their previous titles. For example the GTA series. Since GTA III they've been almost identical in premise and the formula has remained the same yet feel different. Same goes for more recent titles such as Battlefield 3 and Skyrim. They follow the footsteps of their previous titles and don't change the core game much but add a lot of new features and innovation and feel fresh.

This isn't a bad game. It looks good and the gameplay isn't too bad. It just doesn't feel like your getting your moneys worth and feels more like an expansion pack.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC DVD)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC DVD)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely epic despite a few flaws, 12 Nov. 2011
After spending a few hundred hours on Oblivion + Expansions I have been waiting a while for Skyrim. Going into this game expecting a "bigger, fresher, better looking Oblivion" I have to say I'm not disappointed.

Skyrim is everything TES fans could want. A vast open world brimming with lots to do.

The game has many quests, items, places to explore plus the main story is, in my opinion at least better than Oblivion's. However, although it does bring everything you could want from TES series, it also has some of the same glitches.

The glitches and bugs in Skyrim are to be expected for a large game, let's be honest it is massive considering how much detail there is. It does show that Bethesda has spent a lot of time ironing out many issues, there are far less than Oblivion. However AI is still somewhat, odd, at times. AI is rarely a problem, especially compared to Oblivion, but there are some minor quirks, such as for when when I was sat in an inn and a hunter next to me kept saying "what do you want?" "I'm waiting" "how can i assist you" despite no chat dialog open.

There is a lot of talk of texture issues, but I think this is more on the console versions. The only problem with graphics I've found is some rocks look a bit pixellated when viewed up close and standing water in dungeons seems to reflect in a pink/purple colour almost as though its oil? But neither of these are deal-breakers, just minor annoyances.

The graphics themselves are really good. Okay its not running on Frostbite 2 or ID Tech 5 engines, but the engine looks good and is very well optomised. On full settings I run the game at a steady 60fps. I'm sure mods will be released to improve the graphics further such as the Make It Pretty mod for Oblivion. The only gripe I have is that when on horse back, the camera is 3rd person only(or at least I've not found a way to make it 1st person)

I run the game on highest settings at 1920x1080 resolution very smoothly on the following spec:
Core i5 2500K @ 4.3 Ghz
8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
Radeon 5870 1GB Graphics card
Xonar D2X Soundcard
60GB SSD / 1TB HDD

I won't say much about the story besides its better than previous titles, keeps you on edge and has good flow. But I'll let you find out for yourself, believe me its worth it.

The game sounds good in 5.1. Various sound effects and voices are great. There are more voice actors than Oblivion so you are unlikely to encounter 2 same sounding NPCs together.

I'm not going to go more in depth than this on this review, if you know what this game is about then you've most likely read almost every review going. It's not perfect but it is still a fantastic adventure to lose yourself in.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5