Profile for Czechboy > Reviews

Content by Czechboy

Czechboy (Prague)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Inevitable: Understanding the 12 Technological Forces That Will Shape Our Future

3.0 out of 5 stars 1 for future results of tech, 5 for present analysis, 11 July 2017
While I see the future as Charlton Heston running through a starving, overpopulated city waving a big gun around shouting 'Soylent Green is people,' Kelly thinks of it as some coming together of everything and everyone.
His notion that we will all be online informing ourselves all of the time seems awful to me.
I think there will be a unabomber type rejection of tech as people desire a return to privacy and less intrusion into there lives.
AI for him means we will all be baking artisan bread for each other, for me it means unemployment and destruction.
Of course for him tech will mean he remains part of the elite, for me it means a free fall into modern slavery.
Just my ten bob's worth.
Good book really let down by his gushing enthusiasm for, well, for everything that he thinks tech will bring.

Canon PIXMA iP7250 Colour Inkjet Printer
Canon PIXMA iP7250 Colour Inkjet Printer

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter rubbish for CD/DVD printing, 18 Jun. 2017
I bought this mainly for the ability to print directly onto CD/DVDs. It is so tiresome to use you will want to strangle yourself after using it. It has just taken me 1 hour to print 10 CDs (just text). Constant error messages... close the front panel, press the resume button, resume printing.... I did the deadly and believed the hype. Nice result when it finally spits out your finished CD but by this time you`ll want to kick in its crappy front panel (those who use it for this will know why).
Do not buy if you want it for CD printing. I`m taking this future techoid back to the shop.

The Strange Death of Europe: Immigration, Identity, Islam
The Strange Death of Europe: Immigration, Identity, Islam

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changing book, 21 May 2017
I've been waiting for this book for what seems a lifetime. When I read Huffington and listened to Fortuyn, I realised that the real threat to Europe would be cultural/religious and not racial. My friends told me I was mad, or even accused me of being racist, but colour of someone's skin means little to me.
I believe Murray shares these views but he writes about them with a precision I could only dream of.
Along with Houllebecq's Submisson, which gave an idea of what could happen in France, this is a book that spells out why Islam is so dangerous. Now hopefully this great book will be translated into many languages and a real debate will begin about how we are committing cultural suicide.

The Second Philip K. Dick MEGAPACK®: 13 Fantastic Stories
The Second Philip K. Dick MEGAPACK®: 13 Fantastic Stories

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to PKD, 9 April 2017
Well worth the money, but after this you really should read the novels, Ubik being for me the finest Sci-Fi book ever written.
Many of PKD's ideas from the 50s are expanded upon in the 60s and 70s and become much more elegant.
So these stories will give you an idea of what his writing would become.

Mockingbird
Mockingbird

4.0 out of 5 stars Great writing, great idea, 14 Mar. 2017
This review is from: Mockingbird (Kindle Edition)
One of the cleverest takes on the robots as the helper of man idea. A junky population living a half life, lorded over by robots who no longer have human welfare as their prime objective, and what happens when one couple resist.
Excellent.

The Man Who Fell to Earth (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
The Man Who Fell to Earth (S.F. MASTERWORKS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written sci-fi, 12 Mar. 2017
Recently I've downloaded samples of several classic sci-fi novels but have been put off by the bad writing, or poor translation.
TMWFTE is a great novel and written in a literary style. Sci-fi at its best and much better than the film, although only David Bowie could be Newton.

The Gestapo: The Myth and Reality of Hitler's Secret Police
The Gestapo: The Myth and Reality of Hitler's Secret Police

5.0 out of 5 stars Very much an eye opener, 19 Feb. 2017
The latter part of the book is very illuminating as to how so few Gestapo officers were prosecuted and the general white washing of crimes against humanity was carried out. The author also shatters many myths one of which I believed, that the Stasi was full of ex Gestapo, it is just a myth.
Excellent book and another indicator as to why Germany is such a guilt ridden, messed up state.

The Penultimate Truth (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
The Penultimate Truth (S.F. MASTERWORKS)

4.0 out of 5 stars PKD in a simulacrum fest, 9 Feb. 2017
Some great ideas about elites and how using Goebbels style propaganda they can a whole world believe it has to suffer, when it doesn't.
Also, quick and clean writing with an even conclusion. Sometimes PKD's conclusions seem to meander, prob as his speed wore off, but not here.
Not his best, that is UBIK for me, but very good.

The German War: A Nation Under Arms, 1939-45
The German War: A Nation Under Arms, 1939-45

5.0 out of 5 stars I have never read this side of the story before..., 7 Feb. 2017
...but now I understand why present day Germans are so guilt ridden, as it seems they have taken on the guilt that their grandparents never did.
Really interesting and engaging book that made me think about how people cannot be trusted to admit their failings.

925 Sterling Silver Letter K Initial Pendant Necklace Jewellery Personalised Birthday Gifts for Women Ladies Girls
Offered by VIKI LYNN

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely packaged too, 4 Feb. 2017
Bought for my daughter`s 15th birthday, very elegant and quite small. She loves it. Nicely packaged too.
Delivered in 2 days to the Czech Republic, a record.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6