Profile for Ms L. Chapman > Reviews

Bosch TWK76033GB Village Collection Kettle, 1.7 L - Black
Bosch TWK76033GB Village Collection Kettle, 1.7 L - Black
Offered by seddscotrading

3.0 out of 5 stars Lid broke within 2 days, 21 April 2014
I love the clear display, which makes it really easy to see how much you are boiling and not overfill. It's not the most stylish kettle, as it's plastic, but good for the money.

BUT...we boiled several times, including with bicarb, but couldn't get rid of the plastic taste. And then the button to open the lid jammed after only a couple of days use and we could no longer open it. Will be returned and wouldn't buy again, as not convinced of the quality.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2014 4:22 PM BST

acctim 14117 Europa silence tick alarm clock
acctim 14117 Europa silence tick alarm clock
Offered by HARTS

2.0 out of 5 stars Silent, but not very robust, 3 Sept. 2013
Very quiet, other than when the minute hand passes the alarm hand, at which point it clicks. I had to move the alarm hand when I wanted to sleep in or the click would wake me. The switch for the light is silent, so you can check the time in the night without disturbing others in the room. Alarm not very accurate, obviously not as accurate as a digital clock - you can only get it within about 5-10 minutes of when you would like it to come on.

Not very robust - my clock broke fairly quickly. My young daughter knocked it off the bedside table and the minute hand came loose, so it will have to be chucked.

Summer Infant Secure Sleep Digital Video Monitor with Temperature
Summer Infant Secure Sleep Digital Video Monitor with Temperature

4.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't want to be without it!, 2 Aug. 2012
I'm so pleased I spent the extra money and got a video monitor. Gives great peace of mind and prevents you going in to check on your little one every 5 minutes in the early days. Also allows you to see whether your baby is crying because they've got their foot stuck in the bars of the cot, they've rolled onto their tummy and can't get back etc. or whether they're just grizzling and can be left alone!

Picture: The quality is very good (even when it's dark in the child's room)
Sound: Very good (although doesn't always pick up the noise of a child breathing)
Range: Can pick up a signal all over the house and even at the bottom of our garden (but not in the garage or parts of the front garden)
Battery life: As long as you turn the picture off and just check the picture now and again when you need to, the battery lasts us several hours (all evening) without having to plug it in for charging
Thermometer: As others report, it gives overly-high readings. We put a separate thermometer in our baby's room and just mentally adjusted the monitor's temperature down by a couple of degrees. It also marks 18C in blue (i.e. too cold), as it's a US product, which is the temperature you are recommended to keep your baby's room at in UK
Camera: Nice long lead, easily mounted on the wall, swivels so you can put it on a shelf and angle it to view your baby's cot
Durability: We've had our's nearly 2 years and it's still going strong

I would have liked a talk-back function, but other than this and some small niggles RE temperature, I think this is an excellent product.

Bedphones - Headphones Designed for Sleep - WITH FREE APP
Bedphones - Headphones Designed for Sleep - WITH FREE APP

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that comfortable and break easily, 1 Aug. 2012
I didn't find these that comfortable to wear, as the hard wire digs in the back of your ear when you sleep on your side (but would be fine if you always sleep on your back/front). That said, they are a lot more comfortable than other earphones I've tried and I like the fact that you don't have to insert them into your ear. The sound quality for music is not great, but I use it for audiobooks and for that it's fine.

The greatest problem is that the wire connection breaks easily. My first pair lasted a few weeks and had to be returned. The second pair lasted a bit longer but, still, within a couple of months neither side works and they're now destined for the tip.

Tommee Tippee Explora Active Straw Bottle Green Purple Blue (Assorted Colours)
Tommee Tippee Explora Active Straw Bottle Green Purple Blue (Assorted Colours)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great design, 31 July 2012
Pros:
- doesn't leak
- robust
- easy to take around, as it has a lid to close off the bottle
- fairly easy to suck from

Cons:
- the lid pokes out and my daughter has to tilt the cup to avoid having it pressed against her nose
- the lid is really hard to open (needs a firm push with a thumb), so impossible for my 19 month old. She enjoys shutting the lid, but then can't get it open again, so can't drink - not good when she's in the back of the car!
- quite fiddly to take apart and put back together again for cleaning
- the straw upper part is soft and damages with lots of chewing (although I think all straw cups for toddlers have these soft straws)
- the soft straw bit can't go in the dishwasher
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2012 2:45 PM GMT

Animal Wooden Magnets
Animal Wooden Magnets

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive, fun magnets, 31 July 2012
This review is from: Animal Wooden Magnets (Toy)
My 19 month old loves these magnets, which are so beautiful I'm happy to have them on the fridge! We also have the Melissa and Doug ones, but these are much nicer looking and my daughter prefers them. The wood is lovely and, so far, despite almost a year of being thrown about on a tiled floor, they're still going strong. The pictures are painted on the wood, so can't peel off like similar magnets, which use sticker pictures. A great, fun way to learn about animals. There are no domesticated or farm animals and the range of animals is a bit different (seagull, toucan, starfish, beaver, walrus - although there are traditional ones, like zebra and lion). I struggled to identify one of the animals, which we've decided is probably a wolf! They come in a useful box with a closable lid so we also take them to use when we're away.

They are meant for 3 years +, because of concerns about children swallowing magnets. These magnets are quite large and the magnet covers the whole back of the animal, rather than a small detachable glued-on magnet, but children should still be supervised when playing with them.

La nature : Mes petits imagiers sonores
La nature : Mes petits imagiers sonores
by Marion Billet
Edition: Album

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, love, love these books!, 31 July 2012
Even though we're not French-speaking in our household, I bought my daughter this book, as I've not managed to find anything similar in the UK. There is only one word per page, so language isn't really an issue. They're a lovely way of sharing natural sounds with a child (particularly if you live in a middle of a city and don't hear them otherwise). The book contains the noise of a river, rain, an owl, the seaside (waves and seagulls), a frog and a bird.

Even though there's not that much to them, the sounds are beautifully clear and true to life. The pictures are very different and pleasing to children and my daughter soon learnt how to press the button to make the sounds. The batteries can be replaced when they run out.

Les instruments
Les instruments
by Marion Billet
Edition: Album

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, love, love these books!, 31 July 2012
This review is from: Les instruments (Album)
Even though we're not French-speaking in our household, I bought my daughter this book, as I've not managed to find anything similar in the UK. There is only one word per page labelling the instrument, so language isn't really an issue. They're an excellent introduction to musical instruments, as the music is beautifully clear and true to life. The animal pictures are different and pleasing to children and my daughter soon learnt how to press the button to get the music to play. The batteries can be replaced when they run out.

This Little Piggy (BBC Cover to Cover)
This Little Piggy (BBC Cover to Cover)
by BBC Children's
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Our favourite nursery rhyme CD, 31 July 2012
My 19 month old daughter loves this CD and has done since she was tiny. We've got quite a few, including BBC Wheels on the Bus, but this is her and my favourite. By far the least annoying children's CD I've heard. We have to listen to it on loop on long car journeys and I'm still not sick of it. Clear vocals and a nice folky style with loads of songs, some of which I'd never heard before. The songs are animal/agricultural themed, which makes it even more of a winner for my daughter!

Ice cube Tray Suare3.7x3.2cm each Tray 33x18cm 100%silicone Guaranteed quality
Ice cube Tray Suare3.7x3.2cm each Tray 33x18cm 100%silicone Guaranteed quality
Offered by cookware company

3.0 out of 5 stars Isn't dishwasher safe, 14 July 2012
I bought this for weaning, and it's great for that, as the ice cube size is larger than normal. However, not convinced the one I received is silicone, as it smells very rubbery when you sterilise with hot water. I put mine in the dishwasher at 65C and about 5 of the cubes are now deformed, so it's not dishwasher safe. That said, the tray is very useful, as it keeps the whole thing level and the cubes are very easy to pop out.

Page: 1 | 2