Profile for PiX > Reviews

Content by PiX

PiX

Page: 1 | 2
Make your own soap (2nd Edition): A full-colour, step-by-step, photographic guide to making soap.
by Joy James

5.0 out of 5 stars small, but perfectly formed, 11 Feb. 2015
Don't be put off by the small size of this book. It has everything you need if you are a beginner, without being overwhelming. If you are a visual person you will find it wonderfully accessible. Each recipe has a beautiful photo of the soap, which makes you want to have a go at making it. There is a really good series of photos showing the stages of the soapmaking process, which I found very helpful. There is an excellent UK suppliers list at the back, plus some for the rest of the world, and a list of forums. There is even a link to share your soaps on the how2crafts website, if you are feeling
proud!

I was glad to find a book that included recipes for palm free soap, and which focussed on natural ingredients.

I tried another highly regarded book before this, but found it difficult to engage with, I think mainly because it lacked the simplicity and visual element of this one. I may buy another book for when I want to try calculating ingredients for my own recipes, but for now this is all I need.

I did have to order the book three times before I got a copy that wasn't damaged, but it was worth persevering!

Photoelectric Smoke Alarm - White
Photoelectric Smoke Alarm - White
Offered by The M Store

1.0 out of 5 stars I received an ionization alarm, not a photoelectric one, 27 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Photoelectric Smoke Alarm - White
I received an ionization alarm, containing radioactive material. I chose this alarm because it was advertised as a photoelectric one. Photoelectric alarms do not contain radioactive material. I advise to check the back of the packaging of the item you receive, and the back of the item itself, to check you have the one you think you ordered.

Moon Boot Unisex-Adult Nylon  Pink 6/7.5 UK
Moon Boot Unisex-Adult Nylon Pink 6/7.5 UK

3.0 out of 5 stars strange fit, 20 Nov. 2014
The size 2.5 to 5 were too short for me, and I'm a size 4. They fitted in length like a size 3. In width they were rather too wide at the heel, so my heel slipped up out of them when I walked. Stylish snow boot though.

The size 6 fit perfectly. They're practical as well as stylish because they save your salopettes from dragging on the ground, once you have tucked them in the top.

Igenix IG3112 Steam Iron with Stainless Steel Soleplate 1,200 W - Blue/White
Igenix IG3112 Steam Iron with Stainless Steel Soleplate 1,200 W - Blue/White

4.0 out of 5 stars basic but functional, 14 Nov. 2014
I bought this for dressmaking as it was relatively small but had a sturdier steam function and build than a travel iron. It is a basic iron, but it is totally fit for purpose according to my experience. It gets hot quickly with or without water in the tank, and reaches the right temperature quickly too. The stainless steel plate is smooth and easy to clean. The steam is surprisingly powerful. There is no cover over the place where you pour the water in the tank, so if you tip it backwards too far water does fall out of it. Due to the lack of cover I just partially fill the tank to avoid bubbling over etc. The dial has a rather annoying clicking sound when you turn it, but you get used to it. Overall, I'm very pleased with it.

Dynasty Magnetic Drywipe Whiteboard 900 x 600mm Aluminium Framed. Superior Quality with Pen Shelf, Fixing Kit and Free Delivery
Offered by Packaging.Products.Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Really impressed, 21 Jun. 2013
Well made and sturdy. There is a good bit of weight to it. I decided on this board after being reassured by teacherboards that it would be unlikely to arrive damaged. They were right. It is secured by two screws on each of the four corners, and the aluminium tray takes 4 average size drywipe pens.

Handmade Baskets
Handmade Baskets
by Susie Vaughan

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Handmade Baskets (Paperback)
Beautifully written with inspiring photographs. I was totally absorbed the minute I opened the book. The author writes clearly and intelligently, with a refreshingly subtle sense of humour. She obviously knows her subject well. Everything is covered in logical stages from suitable species to weaving techniques. I am now keen to see what is growing in my local hedgerows!

Black + Decker GLC1825L 18V Lithium Ion Trim and Edge Reflex Auto Line Feed Strimmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful for allotments, 16 Jun. 2012
It was such a relief to have this strimmer. I'm no longer anxious about the length of the grass in my allotment! I was making do with a push mower, but it wasn't ideal as the blades kept jamming. I searched for ages for a battery powered strimmer that was light enough for me to use, so took a chance on this one, even though I was doubtful how appropriate the 20 minutes at a time charge would be.

It is so light I could actually walk the 10 minutes to the allotment carrying it in my hand, with the battery in my rucksack. It is very well balanced so it is easy use. I do have to take a break every 5 minutes to rest my hand, but people of average build would have no problem.

The telescopic handle is particularly useful if you are of a shorter stature. It has a guard around the wire at the front, so the line is protected from chicken wire fence etc. It doesn't seem to save plants though, as I've lost a few dianthus heads and an asparagus tip so far, but it's a small price to pay.

Out of the box the battery took 4 hours to charge. I actually got about 30 minutes strimming out of it the first time. It showed no signs of the battery getting weaker - it just stopped. Afterwards it took 7 hours to charge. I'm finding it takes about 5 or 6 hours to charge, even if I only go slightly over the twenty minutes. I don't know if it's because I damaged the battery the first time, or if it's how they all are.

I'm finding I can do the whole allotment very thoroughly in two twenty minute goes. I suppose I have about 80 square metres of grass. It can deal with most weeds except for cow parsley and mature wild borage. Nettles are no problem.

It's not really very noisy - it's about as loud as a hoover. There is a high pitched element to the sound which people sensitive to sonic animal deterrants may find challenging at first. You do get used to it though.

I already have other allotmenteers asking where I got it from!

Dec 2013 - update
I thought I should add to this review that the battery now lasts only around 10-15 minutes, depending on the condition of the grass. This may be because of my unintentional misuse of the battery - I learnt too late that it shouldn't be stored in cold conditions, and I have dropped it a couple of times.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2014 6:39 PM GMT

WHISTLING KETTLE 2.5 LITRE STAINLESS STEEL PINK
WHISTLING KETTLE 2.5 LITRE STAINLESS STEEL PINK
Offered by kitchen essentials

3.0 out of 5 stars heat intolerant paint, 23 July 2011
I love this kettle, so I was really sad to discover I had caused it to develop a white blotch by accidentally having the heat too high, and by not positioning the kettle centrally. By too high I mean not on minimum, which is actually all it needs to boil the kettle in about two minutes half full.

Update - in spite of only having the heat on minimum, the kettle has now developed two large white blotches, poor thing! What a shame, as I love the colour and design of this kettle. The poor quality paint finish, however, means that I won't be buying another one.

Warming the Stone Child: Myths and Stories About Abandonment and the Unmothered Child
by Clarissa Pinkola Estes
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars In paper book form too please!, 21 Sept. 2010
I found this audio cd very interesting, but I would have preferred to have been able to read it in paperback form. This is because I kept wanting to go back to something that Clarissa had just said, to consider it some more. In paperback this would have been easy, but in audio form it is less so. I see that this title is soon to be released as a traditional book, so I hope that all the other audio cds will eventually be published as books too.

Also the author mentioned strategies for transformation as solutions, but did not explain them - for example how to build a skin for the sensitive. If it was simply a case of not having enough time on the cd, it would have been very useful if she had directed the listener to another of her publications that did have the information in it. In traditional book form there would have been the space to explain these things.

Guitar All-in-One For Dummies
Guitar All-in-One For Dummies
by Consumer Dummies

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for complete beginners, 30 April 2010
This book has everything I was looking for. I was a complete beginner with no knowledge of music. I tried another book 'for beginners' but was left feeling totally bewildered and ready to give up. This book starts by addressing the things that confused me - how to hold the guitar, which was the first and sixth string, how to read tab, where to find every note on the guitar neck, how to read standard music notation, how to string the guitar, etc.

It has a handy chord chart and note chart in the front so you don't have to keep turning over pages to find everything. TAB is included with standard notation throughout.

The style is reassuring without being at all patronising. I personally enjoy the excruciating jokes and the lighthearted tone; it lightens the mood which is what a beginner needs. You can tell that the authors understand what you are going through and care enough to want to help you achieve your goals. It is written in a way that is accessable to all age groups. The language is intelligent and elegant. A book that describes a riff as having 'subterranean girth' displays
a certain type of eloquence and humour that I think anybody sensitive to music would appreciate.

It takes you through the learning process in a logical and methodical way. I am rarely left with unanswered questions - the authors have the experience to know what the beginner is thinking. The included cd shows you how the tunes are supposed to sound. I found the tuning track particularly useful.

If you are the sort of person who needs to know everything before you feel confident, this all in one book is for you. It's my constant guide and companion in the guitar world at the moment , and I can see from the chapters further on that it will be with me for a long time into the future too.

If it was made ring bound it would be absolutely perfect!

Further: J West in the review below is right - '8 books in one' is marketing hype. It's still got everything you need in it though.

Page: 1 | 2