Profile for Natalie Dunn > Reviews

Content by Natalie Dunn

Natalie Dunn

Wicked Medley
Wicked Medley

5.0 out of 5 stars I follow Peter Hollens on YouTube and loved this medley right away when he posted the video, 8 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Wicked Medley (MP3 Download)
I follow Peter Hollens on YouTube and loved this medley right away when he posted the video. So finally I decided to buy the track to keep and I'm so glad that I did. It is such a fun, but amazing track and now I have it to play wherever, whenever I want!

House of Many Ways
House of Many Ways

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the second, although still not as good as the first., 13 May 2015
Although I still feel that the original, first, book is by far the best, this comes second (with the middle book coming in third.) We get to see more of Sophie and Howl's familiar relationship set up in the first book, albeit in a different format and Calcifer gets more air time, all of which was lacking in the second book. Also the main character in this one that starts as a fairly unpleasant person who changes not drastically but realistically to become a nicer person who still has some way to go. This character also begins to show a relationship that mirrors that of Sophie and Howl. As a result the story is more character driven rather than plot driven, but this is no bad thing with the characters and settings being so rich. All in all, a good read with a decent nod to the original book.

Castle in the Air
Castle in the Air

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as good as the first!, 2 May 2015
This review is from: Castle in the Air (Kindle Edition)
Thoroughly enjoyable, kept me guessing just where the characters from the first will show up. I did manage to guess correctly for some of them but others surprised me. I missed the original characters not being the ones we follow as I loved them so much, but it was also interesting to see the relationship between the original characters from someone else's point of view. However it doesn't have the same humour as the first or the same inventiveness. But enjoyable just the same. Overall it was good but as is often the case it is not as good as the original.

Howl's Moving Castle
Howl's Moving Castle

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved every minute!, 16 April 2015
I just couldn't put it down. It's pacy, funny and extremely enjoyable. There are some times when I had to really pay attention and take my time to work out what is happening, but this does not take away from my sheer enjoyment of this well thought out story. Highly recommend!

Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen Book 3)
Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 10 April 2015
I loved it, what more can I say?
There are one or two moments when metaphors or actions are repeated which annoyed me slightly, but other than that I enjoyed the book immensely! I recognized a major Greek legend within the story, and I thought that the author had just ripped off the legend, but he does refer to his affection for the story at the end of the book, so he is aware of the similarity and is unashamed of it, which helps me accept it within the text. There are one or two questions unanswered or not clearly explained at the end, but they are minor points and only occurred to me hours later. Other than that I have no complaints of this book as either an individual book or as the end of the series. Thoroughly enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone.

Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen Book 2)
Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally spellbinding!, 16 Feb. 2015
I loved every moment of this book! I could hardly put it down and was finished before I knew it. I thought I knew what was going to happen, but was continually surprised. I felt for every character and cared what happened to them, I even had to try not to cry while reading on the bus! Highly recommend it.

Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen Book 1)
Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Had a few sleepless nights!, 28 Jan. 2015
I just adored this book. Due to various events in my everyday life I had almost completely lost my book-worm, and have not been reading as much as I used to. But this book helped me to find it again. I could not put it down!! It has been a long time since I have stayed up until the wee hours of the morning just reading, but this book left me bleary-eyed at work the next morning...and the morning after that... and that. I finished the book within 4 days, fitting it around work and other necessary commitments and just spent every free minute trying to make it to the next chapter! Loved the story, and adored the characters. Although some parts of the plot were a little predictable, in general I was kept guessing as to what would happen next and felt extremely anxious whenever a character was in danger. I would highly recommend it to anyone!!!!

The Secret Garden (Illustrated)
The Secret Garden (Illustrated)

4.0 out of 5 stars sweet and uplifting, 22 Jan. 2015
It is a beautiful story, well crafted and beautifully described. Even when you have had the worst of days, you only need to pick up this book, read a couple of pages and you will feel so much better. It is such a positive story with wonderful philosophical ideas. But don't let the word "philosophical" put you off, in the end it is a sweet story about children learning how to be children. There are so many wonderful characters, and although most are fairly one-dimensional you cannot help but love them. Dickon has to be the most wonderful invention ever, and I wish I could meet him just as much as the other children want to when they hear about him.
I am a little ashamed to say that it was the film that brought my attention to this book. I enjoyed the film, but although some characters, such as Mrs Medlock, are more well rounded, the film and its depiction of the character Dickon lack the charm of the original text.
Overall, a lovely story that deserves to be a classic and one that I would encourage others (especially children) to read.

Spotify Music
Spotify Music

3.0 out of 5 stars Good choice, butt those ads!, 16 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Spotify Music (App)
Good sun quality an a good variety of music, but on my tablet I am unable to pick and choose what tracks to play from my playlists as I am forced to play them in shuffle. Also without paying for premium the amount of adverts in a row can become a real pain. Overall a good app to have but be careful not to become too addicted or you'll have to pay for better service.

Dragons: Riders Of Berk - Part 1 [DVD]
Dragons: Riders Of Berk - Part 1 [DVD]
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the fact that many of the voices are those ..., 12 July 2014
Love the fact that many of the voices are those from the (now 2) films. The animation is good enough for television and the storylines are usually a bit different and very absorbing