Profile for Wodehousefan > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras Nos. 1,2,5 & 9
Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras Nos. 1,2,5 & 9

3.0 out of 5 stars Villa-Lobos conducts ..., 12 Jun. 2016
I didn't realise when I ordered this that it was a very old recording, with the composer at the podium (I should have read the blurb more closely!). As such it is, of course, very interesting. On the other hand the sound is only in mono, so I bought another version of the same pieces.

Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - Red
Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - Red
Offered by Farbrengen

4.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive but excellent sound., 12 Jun. 2016
Bought for listening to classical music. The spread of sound is excellent, with the full range of frequencies. These are much lighter than my previous headphones (also Sony), and are more comfortable to wear, although I haven't yet got used to having my ears squashed. It just needs a little more adjustment, I think. It's much easier to stow these out of the way because of the way they fold up. All-in-all I'm very impressed: I just need to get the ear-squashing sorted.

5 Classic Albums - Sharon Isbin
5 Classic Albums - Sharon Isbin

4.0 out of 5 stars Partly excellent, 2 Aug. 2015
A bit of a mixed bag this. For a start, I knew that I would simply throw one of the CDs away, because the two newest guitar concertos (by Rouse and Dun) are simply awful - at least to my taste. Another CD pairs the "Aranjuez" concerto with the "Concierto del Sur" by Ponce. The "Aranjuez" is perhaps best described as idiomatic (the least said the better) but the Ponce is very good, as is the Villa-Lobos concerto also included. The baroque CD is fine, except that I did wonder why she plays the Bach Prelude in D minor at half the speed that other people do: it's certainly not for lack of playing ability, but it does drag a bit.

Which brings us to the final two CDs, "Journey to the Amazon" and "Dreams of a world", which are truly excellent, and well worth the price of the box-set on their own. (Note that the former includes saxophone and percussion). The former CD contains music - as the title would suggest - from South America, while the latter contains music and arrangements inspired largely by folk music. Who would have guessed that "Danny Boy" (OK, "The Londonderry Air" if you want to be pedantic) would sound so good when arranged by a Japanese fella? And the suite of English folksong arrangements by Duarte is simply lovely.

When you check out the price of some of the individual CDs in the box, then buying the set just for one or two of them makes perfect financial sense.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable sandals at a very low price., 11 Mar. 2015
Very comfortable sandals at a very low price. I have paid several times as much for sandals that were no more comfortable than these. The test will come with time: how long will the Velcro fastenings last? This is usually the Achilles heel of my sandals, as I wear them all the time.

To Kill a Mockingbird. Introduction by Albert French. Illustrations by Aafke Brouwer
by Harper Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Folio Society edition is lovely, 21 Feb. 2015
Anyone thinking of buying this title must already know what the story entails, so I won't bother with that. What I WILL review is the physical quality of this particular edition.

I have just bought the 13th printing (2013) of the 1996 Folio Society edition. As usual, the paper and the cover are beautiful, and the slip-case is good and sturdy. The illustrations are in pen and ink and remind me of illustrations in children's books back when I was little, 60 years ago.

If I were to be nit-picking, I should say that the shape of the page is just a tad too long and not quite wide enough to be optimally comfortable in the hand.

The typeface is, it goes without saying, extremely legible and a joy to read.

Memories Of The Alhambra
Memories Of The Alhambra

5.0 out of 5 stars "Lagoya Plays Carmen", 22 Oct. 2014
This is identical to the CD entitled "Lagoya plays Carmen" - see the review there.

Lagoya Plays Carmen
Lagoya Plays Carmen
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories of the Alhambra, 22 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Lagoya Plays Carmen (Audio CD)
When my copy of the CD arrived it had an entirely different cover, and was entitled "Memories of the Alhambra", which didn't bother me one iota as the contents were identical with the CD listed as "Lagoya plays Carmen". In any case the five Spanish dances from Bizet's "Carmen" (Entr'acte, Habanera, Seguidilla, Chant de mort and Chanson boheme) together only last a little over fifteen minutes of the fifty-six minute CD, and so the original title was a little misleading.
Besides the dances already mentioned, the CD comprises the intermezzo from "Goyescas" by Granados, Asturias (Leyenda) by Albeniz, Bachianas Brasileiras no 5 by Villa-Lobos, Canarios by Sanz, a lovely set of variations on "Jeux interdits" (you might not know the title but you're bound to know the tune) by Lagoya himself, a study by Carcassi, Recuerdos de la Alhambra by Tarrega and a transcription of Marcello's famous baroque oboe concerto. All the pieces have been arranged for guitar and full orchestra (The Academy of St Martin in the Fields, in this case), are very well digitally recorded (1994) and are played impeccably both by Alexandre Lagoya and by the orchestra. The whole thing may be thoroughly recommended as being not only beautifully tuneful, but also rather different from the run-of-the-mill classical guitar CD - I've almost lost count of the straightforward versions of Asturias in my collection, for instance, and find this one a pleasant change.
According to John Duarte's sleeve notes, the Carcassi study is one "with which most guitar students will be familiar". This was certainly so in my case.

Viva Espana
Viva Espana
Offered by lise et ses cd

4.0 out of 5 stars Standards well played, 22 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Viva Espana (Audio CD)
The CD comprises:-
RAVEL. Bolero.
CHABRIER. Espana.
RODRIGO. Adagio from the Concierto de Aranjuez.
DE FALLA. Ritual fire dance.
RIMSKY-KORSAKOV. Capriccio espagnol.
GLINKA. Jota aragonesa.
DE FALLA. Miller's dance and Final dance from "The Three-Cornered Hat"
The choice of material may not be the most imaginative (hence only four stars), but it is all well played and certainly tuneful. For recordings of standard repertoire, I don't think you could do much better. The CD lasts a little over 70 minutes.

Mini USB Data Computer PC Sync Cable Lead For SanDisk MP3/4 Players SanDisk Sansa Clip SanDisk Sansa Clip+ M250 M240 M230 M260 Sansa Shaker
Offered by bargaindeals4you

5.0 out of 5 stars Longer is better, 8 Jan. 2014
The original lead for the Sansa Clip was only 20 cm long, which meant that I had to get on to my knees to read the display after plugging it into the USB port near the bottom of my PC. After I thought the lead had been lost, I ordered this replacement, and found it to be very nearly 2 metres in length. No more kneeling for me!! Now even though I have found the original lead, I shan't be using it.

The Best Of Everything
The Best Of Everything

3.0 out of 5 stars I used to love this. Pity about the sound quality, though., 24 May 2013
I used to have this on LP 30 years ago but, alas, it went the same way as the record player when I changed over to CD's. Now, however, I am absolutely delighted to be able to get hold of it again.

The CD consists of 10 tracks, recorded in the early 70's, played on the acoustic guitar by Almeida, together with orchestral arrangements, and they all have his typical bossa nova rhythm. As such, they make wonderful background music (I used to do the ironing to them), but they are well worth a close listen, too. (N.B. Track 5 is the theme from "Nicholas and Alexandra", not "Nicholas and Alexander" as it states - that must have been the gay remake).

Do be aware though that, in keeping with LP's of the time, the whole thing only lasts half-an-hour. Also, and the reason why this only gets three stars despite once being among my favourite records, the download must have come from someone's LP rather than the original tapes, because there is thirty-three-and-a-third rpm hiss and crackle throughout.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4