Profile for Juliet Bravo > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Swallows And Amazons [DVD] [2016]
Swallows And Amazons [DVD] [2016]
Dvd ~ Kelly Macdonald

3.0 out of 5 stars My children read the book at school and loved it. Then they watched the 1970s version of ..., 19 Sept. 2017
My children read the book at school and loved it. Then they watched the 1970s version of this film. They preferred the 1970s version! This one introduced elements that weren't in the story and just wasn't as good, according to them.

Natures Aid PremEeze Agnus Castus, Vegan Society Approved, 400 mg, 60 Capsules
Natures Aid PremEeze Agnus Castus, Vegan Society Approved, 400 mg, 60 Capsules

5.0 out of 5 stars I was recommended this product as I had been suffering from hormonal ..., 19 Sept. 2017
I was recommended this product as I had been suffering from hormonal imbalance due to perimenopause (I'm 47). I was getting very heavy periods which were lasting for 4-5 weeks and making me anaemic.
After 3 months of taking this, my periods settled down. I've now been taking it for 10 months and although my periods are still pretty irregular, and sometimes they last for up to 2 weeks, the heavy flow is nothing like it was before, so I'm really happy to be able to manage my cycle without needing to take artificial hormones.
The product is actually advertised as reducing PMS symptoms. I think it possibly has reduced these symptoms, but it's hard to tell, I still get them, especially if my period is very 'late'. But I am more than happy with its effect on my blood loss.

I See You
I See You
by Clare Mackintosh

2.0 out of 5 stars Distinctly average, 19 Sept. 2017
This review is from: I See You (Paperback)
It was readable enough but not a patch on her first book.
My heart sank after a couple of chapters of quite irritating/cliched description of the main character's daily life and family set-up. Simon made me cringe and I had no idea why Zoe would want to be with him. But then Zoe herself was fairly irritating too.
The chapters about the female cop were much more interesting, I found myself skipping forward to get to those. I really wish she had got it on with the DI though, that would have made the book much less dull.
As others have commented, I found the main idea pretty preposterous / implausible, there was very little suspense and by the time we found out who the perpetrators were I didn't really care.
The typos were annoying (is Kate 18 or 19?), Crystal Palace DOES NOT HAVE A TUBE STATION and no one who works in recruitment in Maidstone would ever be able to afford to live in Pimlico!
Please don't write the next book in such a rush.

Andorra - Comapedrosa-Engorgs-Juclar-Pessons-Tristaina
Andorra - Comapedrosa-Engorgs-Juclar-Pessons-Tristaina
by Editorial Alpina S.L.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... the walks in here but the map was really useful. Note the book is in Catalan, 19 Sept. 2017
Didn't follow the walks in here but the map was really useful. Note the book is in Catalan, Spanish and French only.
Got some very good local walks leaflets from the Tourist Office in Andorra la Vella (had to ask).

Violin Exam Pieces 2016-2019, ABRSM Grade 2, Score & Part: Selected from the 2016-2019 syllabus (ABRSM Exam Pieces)
by Divers Auteurs
Edition: Sheet music

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 19 Sept. 2017
My daughter doesn't find the pieces that interesting. Might look at Trinity Board instead.

Walks and Climbs in the Pyrenees: Walks, Climbs and Multi-Day Tours (Mountain Walking) (Cicerone Guidebooks)
by Kev Reynolds
Edition: Flexibound

3.0 out of 5 stars The book I bought in France (Grands Randonnees series) was much better., 19 Sept. 2017
Didn't have any walks in the area I was visiting (Pic du Midi / Bagneres de Bigorre / Tourmalet) so not much use. The book I bought in France (Grands Randonnees series) was much better.

Pride and Prejudice Theme: (Piano) (Faber Edition)
Pride and Prejudice Theme: (Piano) (Faber Edition)
by Carl Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Sept. 2017
It's a good arrangement. Quite expensive for just 2 pages though.

The Ties That Bind
The Ties That Bind

5.0 out of 5 stars Sexy, rocky and utterly brilliant, 7 April 2016
This review is from: The Ties That Bind (Audio CD)
Not stopped listening to this since I saw Mawkin live a few months ago. I already had 'Crow' (2012) which I really like, but this album is even better as David and James do all the vocals and their voices really fit the band sound (David especially). James' violin playing is superb, and the addition of bass and drums takes them away from the trad folk set-up.
Their expert musicianship is complemented by their cheeky sexiness and exciting rocky sound.
A really good mix of songs, from the raucous I Can Hew and Jolly Well Drunk to some really beautiful arrangements of morris dancing tunes.
My favourite songs are Shanghai Brown, Searching for Lambs, and The Frenchy Set for its sheer brilliance.

The Paying Guests
The Paying Guests
by Sarah Waters

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written and exciting in parts but weak ending, 23 Nov. 2015
This review is from: The Paying Guests (Paperback)
I have always meant to read Sarah Waters and somehow never got round to it. I tried reading The Little Stranger but I didn't like it (found it too creepy to be honest!)
Now I have read this one I will go back and read Fingersmith and Tipping the Velvet which are supposed to be her best. I hope they are better than this one. I really did like this one, and I'll give it 8/10, but it wasn't brilliant. It is way too long for a start.
I love the period detail though and the fact that you are seeing that era from another point of view - events, thoughts and feelings which could not be expressed in novels written at the time.
I find it quite amusing that some reviewers were shocked by the "graphic lesbian sex". I am not a lesbian, but I thought the sex scenes were very well done, and after all they are not doing anything that heterosexuals don't do...
I didn't really buy the love story though. I thought Frances' character was really well drawn and I had a lot of empathy with her, and I could understand how she was in love with Lilian (the married woman) but I honestly didn't believe Lilian really loved her back, and I was expecting a different denouement to the novel. I think it would perhaps have been a more exciting plot if it turned out that Lilian had been using Frances all along...(sorry if giving too much away).
Like other reviewers, I found the last third a bit dull. I enjoyed the initial build-up and setting the scene (although it was too long) and the middle "crisis" section was extremely well written. I especially enjoyed all the stuff about the blood and the sanitary pads they used, vivid images that will stay in my mind (No one writes enough about periods!). But I found the ending weak.
However the descriptive writing was excellent, so I will definitely try her other novels.

Us
Us
by David Nicholls

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull and unfunny, 20 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Us (Paperback)
I quite enjoyed One Day, found it amusing and interesting. However this book is neither. It's completely predictable, has not raised a single laugh from me and is just plain tedious, verging on depressing.
The husband is empathetic, but the wife is a stupid cow and it's a shame he ever met her really. It doesn't seem like being married to her actually helped him in any way, and he doesn't change at all during the book, so I don't really see the point of any of it, except to show off the author's knowledge of European cities and art.
Some of the dialogue is cringeworthy.
The best bits are the extracts from books and poems by other people placed at the beginnings of chapters. Having read the pompous author stuff at the back, I now realise why I hated the recent film adaptation of Far from the Madding Crowd (David Nicholls wrote the screenplay).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4