Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

The Secret
The Secret
by Rhonda Byrne

5.0 out of 5 stars Reminding us what we already know, 9 April 2012
This review is from: The Secret (Hardcover)
The core theme of the book is about encouraging an attitude of gratitude, being positive, and getting clear and specific about the changes you want to happen in your life.

I enjoyed the stories about how people have taken these ideas and made changes, small and large (whether it's getting a free coffee of receiving unexpected cheques in the post).

The concept of having a positive attitude and visualising what you want is not new idea, however the way the messages and stories in the book are described, made for inspiring reading.

If you are wanting more of a taster about the book, then head over to thesecret.tv website where new stories are posted every day by people who have read the book, watched the dvd and listened to the audiobook.

It's sometimes difficult to decide to buy a book where some people love it and others really don't like it all, but you know what, try it for yourself, what's the worst that could happen?

The Naked Leader
The Naked Leader
by David Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Leadership - the diet version, 8 May 2004
This review is from: The Naked Leader (Paperback)
I will echo the many postive comments written by other reviewers, however...I've read this all before and if far greater detail.
If you prefer a bit more meat on the bone, then Anthony Robbins books, e.g. 'Unlimited Power' will deliver a feast.
I'm not saying David Taylor has brought something new to the party, just somethig smaller and wrapped up differently.
I smiled when I read the bulleted version of Abraham Lincoln's rise to being elected president, as I'd read it in Mr Robbin's book 'Unlimited Power'.
The subject of NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) is a big one, and I'm all for simplifying subjects so that the ordinary Joe can get their head around it. However, I think reducing it to just over 3 pages is at best a good intro into the subject, and at worst an over-simplication.
There are 51 chapters but a contents page is not provided - this would have been helpful. I had to constantly flick through the headings at the top of each page to navigate my way through the book.
I would suggest this a good entry-level book, it's written in an easy style and there are many short paragraphs that allow you to dip in and out at your leisure. There is more information on this subject of leadership and running your brain out there, just cast your net about.

The Simplicity Survival Handbook: 32 Ways To Do Less And Accomplish More
The Simplicity Survival Handbook: 32 Ways To Do Less And Accomplish More
by Bill Jensen

4.0 out of 5 stars Good advice well presented, 8 May 2004
The inside cover challenges us to ‘Do less…of the corporate silliness. Ignore more of the noise and senseless stuff that comes your way. You deserve better. You deserve to spend more of you time and talent on what truly matters.’ I was in total agreement with this and wanted to see how this could be achieved.
Jensen’s 32 chapters tells us how to make this happen - this is split into 3 sections: Daily Rituals, Career Milestones and Leader Essentials. He also tells us how to use the handbook – i.e. pick out 3 or 4 chapters that you feel are most relevant, e.g. ‘How to say No to Anyone in Any Situation’; ‘How to Deal with Managers Who Pile it On: MoreMoreMore, Now!’ and follow the steps in each chapter.
These steps offer different approaches for dealing with each problem, e.g. in ‘How to say No…’ Jensen gives examples of direct and indirect responses, who these responses should be directed too, and how often each approach should be given (direct ‘No’s should be used 25% of the time with close co-workers and those you have either none or minimal personal connection with).
The layout is very accessible, paragraphs are well laid out and are given room to breathe with ample white space. The tone is chatty, direct and helpful. Although the suggested remedies are not unique, the manner in which they are presented and described left me with a feeling that whatever the problem, I was armed with several strategies I could put to use.
I was encouraged to read that my own style of regular questioning to clarify tasks was one method he actively encouraged. Up until reading this book I had felt demotivated as I could see my boss would rather I’d get on with the work (even though it may not be the best action in the short/long term). It was good to read a questioning nature plays a central part in Jensen’s survival techniques.
A part of the book I enjoyed a lot are the real life stories of how people - from the shop-floor to the most senior execs – have handled difficult situations. They show that sometimes a different approach works, and sometimes a person has to recognise when they’re bashing their head against a brick wall and move on.
Recommended.

Lucky You
Lucky You
by Carl Hiaasen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff !, 8 May 2004
This review is from: Lucky You (Paperback)
This is my first read of Carl Hiaasen and I'm glad to say that I'll be seeking out his other titles.
In 'Lucky You' he creates rounded and believable characters and places them in extreme and extremely comic situations; turtles, stigmata, divine road-markings, arson, a nifty self-defence thumb manoeuvre, and some old-fashioned rom-com thrown in for good measure.
I would compare his snappy and comic style with Ben Elton - both writers produce entertaining, funny and laugh-out-loud situations and one-liners.
All in all, a great page-turner which I polished off in 3 sittings.