Profile for Andrew Sutherland > Reviews

Content by Andrew Sutherland

Andrew Sutherland "Sutho" (Surrey outposts)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Garnier Ambre Solaire Kids Protection Trigger Spray SPF50 200ml
Garnier Ambre Solaire Kids Protection Trigger Spray SPF50 200ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if rather thick sun cream with clever trigger application, 30 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tested this alongside the more expensive "Garnier Ambre Solaire Rapido Kids SPF 50 High Protection Non-stop Spray" Garnier Ambre Solaire Rapido Kids SPF 50 High Protection Non-stop Spray 150 ml and found this one much more more viscous, takes a bit longer to absorb into the skin and leaves the skin a little bit stickier feeling afterwards. The trigger application is really good (much quicker and gives better coverage than applying by hand) and there's a child-proof lock to stop it being sprayed by accident (or by small people) that actually works. The cream itself seems good - 50SPF, waterproof, smells nice, no ill effects with sensitive skin and, most importantly, does the job in terms of sun protection.

I Still Do
I Still Do

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocrity in extremis, 24 May 2016
This review is from: I Still Do (Audio CD)
Hilariously predictable to see the surfeit of 1* and 5* reviews for what is palpably a 3* album (+/- one star depending on your disposition), being full of neither great nor terrible songs, but with fleeting moments of both... To those decrying the covers-heavy, zero-risk, Clapton-by-numbers-ness of it all….what were you expecting? And to those heralding it a “Masterpiece”, what are you on?! Twelve tracks here, only two of which are God-awful ('I will be there’ and 'Catch the blues’, both dreadful, the latter embarrassingly so), but it's otherwise pretty unremarkable stuff, save for three particularly nice takes on blues standards: Leroy Carr’s ‘Alabama Woman Blue’; Skip James’ 'Cypress Grove’, and; Robert Johnson's ‘Stones in my Passway’… although my choice of adjective is telling, since even these fail to really catch fire. A nod, too, for the original 'Spiral’, since I'm feeling charitable... otherwise it's all a bit too sleepy, all a bit too Sunday morning… deftly assembled but devoid of any rough edges or defining guitar playing. I certainly cannot see myself playing this bad boy again in the months, yet alone years, to come.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2016 2:29 PM BST

Garnier Ambre Solaire Rapido Kids SPF 50 High Protection Non-stop Spray 150 ml
Garnier Ambre Solaire Rapido Kids SPF 50 High Protection Non-stop Spray 150 ml
Offered by EveryThing4You Global

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality sun cream but the spray is too wide, 18 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Excellent quality sun cream as far as I can tell ... unusually runny and very quickly absorbed, without any greasy residue. Smells nice and no ill effects with my kids, both of whom have sensitive skin. However I'm not entirely convinced by the spray itself... the blurb says that it "sprays at any angle" but I found this made it quite difficult to spray in a targeted way; the trajectory of the spray is too wide and it goes everywhere when you're aiming at something small e.g. a child's arm. I made the mistake of applying it to my kids indoors and ended up with sun cream on the floor. A non-issue if applied outdoors, I suppose.

Scotch Restickable Tabs, Blue , Orange & Pink (mixed) - 1 case - 18 Tabs x 6 packs

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever and versatile alternative to Blu tack, 10 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are great: low-tack two-sided sticky tabs of various shapes (each approx. the size of a postage stamp)... mine were orange in colour. They have a number of potential uses but I've mainly used them in two ways:

1. As a straightforward alternative to blu tack for sticking up posters on walls semi-permanently... so far so (very) good; one in each corner does a splendid job of keeping a regular-sized poster wall-mounted and they're invisible once the poster is up (unlike blu tack, which shows bulges). Also, they come off the poster and wall without spoiling either and don't leave any residue).
2. As a sticky mount for putting lists etc. on temporarily... put the tab on the wall and then stick memos, lists, signs on... I left a "Back in 5 mins" sign on the front door for the postman using one. Once covered in fingerprints and dust the tab will lose adhesion but you just rinse them under the tab they come up like new (they have a gel-like texture).

Genuinely impressed. Couldn't personally care less about the novelty shapes and colours... perhaps there would be other uses I haven't thought of (e.g. you could hang posters using just one-side of the tab; part on top, rather than under the poster, the other part on the wall, i.e. with the tab showing). But I will certainly be switching to these for all my future poster-hanging needs, that's for sure!

Igenix IG8651 Milk Frother and Warmer
Igenix IG8651 Milk Frother and Warmer

4.0 out of 5 stars Small but good for what it is... but expensive for what it is, too, 23 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So: it works well, but it only froths enough milk for one cup at a time. It can be used to heat milk as well, but surely it's easier to do that in the microwave? For frothing, the end result is basically same as with my little battery charged 'aerolatte Milk Frother with Storage Tube, Black', albeit for that I need to separately heat the milk in small jug first, so using this is less fiddly - but it's £35, versus a tenner for the aforesaid aerolatte milk frother, so I'm not really sure it warrants the price differential... taking money out of the equation, it's a decent gadget, albeit a bit on the small side.

Foucault and Neoliberalism
Foucault and Neoliberalism
by Daniel Zamora

4.0 out of 5 stars Foucault the neoliberal: An act of sociological aggression, 15 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A (conciously, if not deliberately) provocative book by a team of sociologists that raises probing questions about Foucault’s relationship with the neoliberal revolution that was just getting underway in his later years… which is provocative of course given that Foucault’s work has become something of a touchstone for the academic left in the last thirty years, for whom he’s become sort of untouchable. Any attempt to make him seem compatible with neoliberalism inevitably feels like an act of agression. Not that it’s an empty case: the indulgence Foucault showed toward neoliberalism is evident here; he was highly attracted to economic liberalism, seeing in it the possibility of a form of politics that was much less authoritarian than socialism, with the prospect of offering individuals greater autonomy from the state. It seems that noliberalism fitted fairly well his drift towards anti-statism in the late seventies. The authors do a good job of representing this clear break with the consensual image of Foucault as being in total opposition to neoliberalism at the end of his life.

Motorola Focus 86 + Focus TAG Bundle
Motorola Focus 86 + Focus TAG Bundle

4.0 out of 5 stars Opens up new avenues for remote spying on my wife, kids and cat, 15 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Only joking, although my wife has complained that she’s felt spied upon somewhat whilst I’ve been testing this kit out. What you’re getting here is twofold; a motion-sensitive camera plus smart tag which effectively talk to each other via your WiFi. You operate both via the free Hubble app, which I’ve been using on my Android smartphone. There’s nothing much in the way of instructions supplied but it’s fairly intuitive to setup; download the app and it guides you through the process, which is simply about linking your devices to your home WiFi (without which, this won’t work). Thereafter you do it all via the app. I’ve plugged the camera in the dining room (standard plug) and put the tag in my wife’s handbag (both with her consent!). You can use the tag either as a motion sensor (i.e. put it on a door or window and be notified when the door or window opens/shuts) or for the purposes of presence/absence detection (i.e. wear it on your person and be notified when you move away from the camera’s field of reach). I’ve done the latter, so basically my phone alerts me each time my wife leaves the house or returns (provided she takes the bag the tag is in!). Makes me sound more Sleeping With The Enemy than I am. This has actually been quite useful for me, because when I’m at work in the day it’s quite reassuring if you’re worrying about where someone is to be notified once they’re home. The camera side of things has really surprised me with it’s quality; I’ve mainly been using it for its live video feed via the camera (or on the Hubble website via any web browser), complete with sound pickup (bit tinny but OK) and night vision; you can also use the app to transmit audio to the camera’s integral speaker (so I can say to my kids “I’m watching you!” and they actually hear me… I guess you could also say the same to a burglar, if you spotted, although though they’d probably then just steal the camera, which isn’t terribly inconspicuous). In all seriousness I was on a trip with work recently and it was nice to be able to ‘video in’ and watch and hear the kids have their tea and say hello. Picture quality’s not bad. Feed quality is OK but I have had a few outages; I guess if your broadband was poor it’d be an issue. The other use of the camera is to receive picture notifications each time the motion sensor on the camera is activated… I guess most people would use this when the house was empty; to be notified that there was an intruder, otherwise it’ll notify you constantly throughout the day whenever anyone walks in the camera’s field of vision (which is surprisingly wide and, if positioned sensibly, will cover an entire room). Alternatively you can turn the notifications off and just allow the app to compile an image log of activations for viewing post hoc. If I leave it on overnight in the morning there’s normally a dozen or so pictures archived of the cat walking and in and out of the room whilst we’re asleep. And normally one of me in my pants going downstairs in the middle of the night for a drink of water. I’m using it more for novelty value in this regard but I guess this could be useful from a security sense, although if you want to record video evidence rather than just still images, you need to pay a premium to sign up to a payment plan. I think possibly those plans used to be free judging from comments on the Hubble app. No matter, for my purposes, having the live feed and the option to a) store a log of still images and b) be notified whenever a new image is captured, is enough. Bundle in the tag for £100 and I’d say this represents fairly decent VFM. I was not remotely expecting it to be anywhere near so good at the point of ordering so was extremely pleasantly surprised.

Garnier Skin Naturals Micellar Extra-Gentle Cleansing Wipes 25
Garnier Skin Naturals Micellar Extra-Gentle Cleansing Wipes 25

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine... but £6 is pricey for 'fine', 2 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
According to my mum, who I got these for... these babies are "fine" but not obviously much better than what she'd typically pay £4 for. Took her eye make up off no problem, but then so do the cheaper ones. Skin didn't feel appreciably softer. That's mum's verdict. Take it or leave it.

Go Stationery Woodland Kraft Hare Exercise Book
Go Stationery Woodland Kraft Hare Exercise Book

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicer-than-average exercise book, 2 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nicer-than-average 'soft-back' type exercise book... quality paper stock and a lovely Woodland Trust hare design on the front. Each page inside is plain lined (the only design is on the front). Makes for a really nice 'jotter' to keep about the place for making notes. Other reviewers don't like the price... I suppose £4 is steep for what it is, but if you're going to have pad lying around the place it may as well look nice and this is classier than the average Paperchase number.

Go Stationery Woodland Kraft Hare To Do List
Go Stationery Woodland Kraft Hare To Do List

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicer-than-average pad for the kitchen, 2 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nicer-than-average 'To-Do List'-type pad for keeping in the kitchen... quality paper stock and a lovely Woodland Trust hare design on the front. Super-strong magnet on the back for keeping it on the fridge etc. Each page is lined, with tick-boxes for ticking off completed tasks should you wish (I personally don't, just use it for memos, shopping lists etc.). The pages are perforated to tear out neatly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20