Profile for ShotbyaScot > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
FIFA 13 (Xbox 360)
FIFA 13 (Xbox 360)

2.0 out of 5 stars Football for Children, 13 Aug. 2013
This review is from: FIFA 13 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I'm not going to go too deep into why this game is disappointing as I could honestly go on for ever.

Sure, it has just about every team that matters and all players from the high profile ones down to 3rd division and beyond nobodies. But the problem for me is that I like my football to be like real football and this just isn't it.

Games are all the same. Players move as if they are tied to the ball, so if the ball goes a certain way (often strange ways as the ball physics are totally random at times) players automatically react a certain way. They are tied, if you see what I mean, rather than moving independantly and reacting to each other as would make for more realism. Also, the computer manipulates deflections and rebounds to land where it wants; you can see this clearly if you watch replays.

On top of this, stats mean NOTHING as they would in real football. The only good players worth anything are the fast ones. Even then, slow donkey like defenders often chase down and then outmuscle even the fastest of strikers, defying their awful game stats.

This game is designed for children, who want to play Ultimate Team spending loads of extra real life money on "Card packs" so they can buy fast players and do the same "wash, rinse, score, repeat" routine every game they play. It's boring and it is NOT football. It feels preplanned and fake, like the game is cheating you all the time.

Play it; you'll see what I mean. Unless you are 12 and don't understand what football games can be like (see PES).

Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 (Nintendo 3DS)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 (Nintendo 3DS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Handheld Football Game - Not just on 3DS!, 2 April 2013
My brother bought me this from Amazon for my birthday in January and I am still playing it regularly. Really, that should be enough evidence to persuade anyone thinking about buying it to do so.

I have FIFA13 on Xbox 360 and I have to say that, whilst it has its plus points, mainly due to the licensing it holds, for sheer fun and having the "football factor", this game is far superior.

There are lots of game modes, from the predictable but enjoyable "Champions League" competition, to season leagues and cup modes. The best by far though, is the version of Be a Pro which works absolutely brilliantly and is hugely rewarding. Create a player, choose your starting team/level etc. and progress through an entire career, just as you do in the modern football games on consoles.

The game also supports online, though I must admit I've been so engrossed in the single player aspect I haven't even tried it more than a few times, but it worked on each occasion nicely.

If you have a 3DS and you want a Football game, don't make the mistake of buying FIFA just because of the license it holds, you will only be disappointed. As in the first few PES games years go, which had flowing, rewarding & realistic football making them the purists choice, this version on the 3DS returns to that conclusion. If you LOVE, LIVE AND BREATH football, PES2013 is the only choice on 3DS.

uDraw Tablet including Instant Artist (Xbox 360)
uDraw Tablet including Instant Artist (Xbox 360)

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Money, 9 Nov. 2012
I just bought this for my 3year old and I have to say I'm impressed and slightly miffed I didn't consider it before and support it when the developer had it released.

It's obviously not going to survive or be supported further in this generation due to the lack of sales, but from my point of view I'm just happy to have picked it up at such a cheap price. The tablet pad for drawing on is excellent quality, the pen works great on it. Obviously you can't draw with quite the accuracy you would do on a piece of paper with your pencils/pens/paints, but it is very good for what it tries to do.

It's highly suitable for young kids who like to draw and it has stopped mine from having 50 pieces of paper lying around the floor and pen marks all over her hands and my floor/tables! I'm also getting her an Innotab soon so expect that may take over from this, but to be honest I secretly enjoy playing on it too and may even buy the Pictionary Game soon.

This is MORE than worth a tenner, take a punt if you have youngsters.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Shop4World

2.0 out of 5 stars The End of the Line, 9 Nov. 2012
This is one step too far in the Call of Duty franchise.

I'm not going to go too deeply into why I don't like it, suffice to say I am NOT a BF fanboy. In fact, I always preferred COD and cannot remember any games having more fun on MP-wise than COD3, W@W or COD4 MW.

This game though is just boring. MP games are all the same and are completely uninteresting. I couldn't put my finger on why for a while, as I felt the same about MW2 & BLOps, but now I know.

It's because they are all the same, with no innovation, no realism (which COD3, W@W & MW1 did have) and no sense of having to work as a team anymore. It's just mindless running around shooting each other on a graphics engine that i've seen several times before on maps which are NOWHERE NEAR as original or interesting as the previous games I mentioned.

This game is boring and exactly the same as the 2 before it and I for one have had enough of falling for the hype. Until they bring out something new which at least had some form of realism to it and has some innovation, something new worthwhile (not just premium content that you want EVEN MORE money for), I will not be buying another COD.

See, I didn't even have to mention once that BF3 is 100 times more fun, bigger, innovating and spectacular to play. It's a fact though, ignore it at your peril.

F1 2012 (Xbox 360)
F1 2012 (Xbox 360)
Offered by RnR World

3.0 out of 5 stars Awful game and race mechanics, 9 Nov. 2012
This review is from: F1 2012 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This is an updated review as I've just spent a fair little time playing the game. Here is the basic reason why you should NOT buy this and would be better buying 2011 version.

The handling is ruined. When the car slides, it's gone, there is virtually zero control in throttle and steering into slides.
Races are COMPLETELY FAKED AND MANIPULATED by the AI.

I kid you not, if you buy this and try a full season in career you will soon be cursing when the AI cars seem to have God like ability to predict the weather. They are ALWAYS on the right tyre.

You on the other hand get zero information from your race engineer as to what's going on weather wise and always seem to be on the wrong tyre. That's not really why though, it's that most of the time the game CHANGES the weather as soon as you change tyres to ensure you're on the worst tyre.

I did a race and it was wet on track; despite this the game made everyone start on dry softs. Immediately first lap all the AI cars pit for intermediates. I don't, because my engineer said NOWT. After 4 laps waiting to see if the track might dry out, I decide to switch to intermediates as by now my engineer has decided to prompt me to do so twice per lap (bit late mate). So, I change to intermediates. It would seem though that the AI also knew something, but different to me, as they all came in and changed to dries. Sure enough, within 2 laps on my intermediates a dry line appears and I'm being caught at 4+ seconds per lap.

Needless to say i'd had enough at that and turned it off.

The game looks beautiful. The cars are fun and realistic(ish) to drive. But the actual racing is so broken it's laughable. Between the above example, penalties when you do nothing wrong, AI NEVER getting penalties (no exaggeration) and the feeling the game is constantly screwing you over ruins any good.

This game is pants, don't buy it. Gods honest truth, buy the last one 2011, at least it was FAIR.

Vanquish (Xbox 360)
Vanquish (Xbox 360)
Offered by smeikalbooks

4.0 out of 5 stars Under-rated, 9 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Vanquish (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I'll keep this short - this is an under-rated game which you should play if you enjoy shooters and simple pick up and play action games. I enjoyed Gears of War 1 and 2 immensely but got bored of the 3rd before half way through. I bought this for less than a tenner and it put a massive smile on my face. Sega really are on the ball this generation, this is a brilliant game worth way more than 10quid!

Need For Speed Most Wanted - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Need For Speed Most Wanted - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)

3.0 out of 5 stars The good, the bad and the ugly., 9 Nov. 2012
Well that was a disappointment. I rented this game to try it out before buying from Amazon. Unfortunately I now have no intention on buying it and would urge you to try it before you buy it too. I'll try lay it out simple as nobody can be bothered with essay reviews on Amazon:

The Good: The game has it's moments of fun. Some of the high speed sections of road and in particular the jumps which are laid out, most slightly hidden or blocked by breakable fences just like in Burnout Paradise, will put a big grin on your face. I enjoyed the fact that cars are located around the free roaming city and when you find them, you can try them straight off with the push of one button. Not sure how many cars are in the game, but in the first 15mins of play I found around 8 cool cars from BMW M3's to Ariel Atoms. All the cars are modelled beautifully, look "real" thanks to lots of little details and also great damage and "dirt" model.

The Bad: The handling of the cars is VERY arcadey. This is fine for a Need for Speed game - I love Burnout Paradise for instance and think the cars feel great in that. But in this, somehow they just don't feel right. It's very hard to be precise and I often find myself clipping walls and other cars when, in virtually any other racer I've ever played once used to it I can usually be totally precise. The frame rate often jumps and lags. Even the intro when you first load the game up the frame rate is AWFUL. I've been playing the game now for less than an hour and I'm sorry to say that I am already feeling bored of it and worse, hugely frustrated, which brings me on to......

The UGLY: This game is supposed to be all about your wanted level and thus the ensuing police chases. Unfortunately I think they are crap. For a start there is no variety to them, they all start more or less the same way and they always seem to end either with you planted in a wall due to not judging the crap handling and 4 police cars pinning you to the wall to bust you, or with you simply driving away from them at high speed down the wrong way of a motorway. The worst bit about them though is that they have me tearing my hair out when they do drag on. The police AI is awful. Not awful in a "they can't drive properly" kinda way, but in the way that they cheat like absolute CRAZY to keep up with you. Even the Dodge Charger cop cars can do 250 MPH to catch you up if you get the run and lead on them. Then there's the fact that they take some corners like they are on rails. Worse though, despite this superhuman driving of the fastest cars on the planet, I challenge you to drive the wrong way down a motorway and have any oncoming traffic not be collected by them behind you. Usually they still accel faster than an Ariel Atom to catch you up again. If they can't catch you back up, just when you think you're in the clear 2 more cop cars appear miraculously on the road in front of you and the chase begins again....snore. It just feels crap.

I will stop because I could go on. The game is ok, don't get me wrong. But I'm certainly not buying it for more than 35 quid. It's a rental or bargain bin job for me. Shame.

Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo 3DS)
Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo 3DS)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Mario Kart - FACT, 27 May 2012
Easiest review ever:

If you don't know Mario Kart, it's gaming genius and you should get this.
If you know Mario Kart, this is the BEST version I've ever played, so you should get this.

Some people aren't sure about the "gliding" or "underwater" sections, but for me they just add great variety which is what Mario Kart is all about.

The only debatable inclusion are those unbelievably annoying blue shells!!! But then, that's why Mario Kart is one of the best games ever; the tension and excitement doesn't let up, even when you are MILES in front as nothing is guaranteed until you cross the line first!

Genius and brilliant, one of the best games ever let alone on 3DS. AND it has online play for VS races (full grids) and balloon battles! The best, just got better.

F1 2011 (Nintendo 3DS)
F1 2011 (Nintendo 3DS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good effort, worth up to 15 pounds I'd say, 27 May 2012
Although I didn't buy this from Amazon, as I'm on ordering something else thought I'd give my opinion on this too. I'm an F1 fan and have 2011 for Xbox 360 as well. Although obviously this is not even close in graphical terms or handling, Codemasters I think have done a very good job in converting the "feel" of F1 to a handheld console with more limited capabilities.

F1 fans will go straight to Career Mode and won't be disappointed. You can take part in full practice sessions, Q1, 2 & 3 and then full races with number of laps dependant on your selected settings. During P & Q sessions you can go in and out of the pits at will to change set-ups and save them to the game. Races can be a little crazy especially on lower difficult settings, the AI is nowhere near Xbox (or PS3) versions and they often group together en-masse almost creating a slow moving road block, but when on a higher difficulty setting they are not bad at all and in some instances I've found actually "get out of your way" better than on the full console versions when you are lapping them or on a hot lap in P & Q sessions. I've only completed the first race but I thoroughly enjoyed it and intend to keep the game to complete at least one season and then most likely take advantage of moving to one of the faster teams too (you get the same options to select a starting low tier team and I'm guessing then get offers to move to better teams dependant on performance by the end of the season).

I haven't tried the game online yet so won't comment on that, but so far I'm enjoying it. I never would have paid 30 pounds for it. In fact I probably wouldn't even quite of paid 20 for it. But at between 10 and 15 pounds, this is a must buy for any race or F1 fans. The graphics are a little disappointing, 3D is only "ok", but it's by far the best race sim available on DSi/3DS and is a bargain at this price.

Ross Kemp - The Afghanistan Box Set [DVD]
Ross Kemp - The Afghanistan Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ross Kemp
Offered by Bee-Entertained

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should see this, 16 Oct. 2011
I'll keep it short (as I like to do!)

This is ESSENTIAL viewing. It doesn't matter if you are interested in the subject matter, or not.

You will watch this and KNOW what our soldiers are going through. It will also to appeal to those who, like me, have a big interest in War Documentaries as it's not "glammed" up in any way. You will feel like you are there with him.

Ross Kemp just makes it, really. He fits in with the group of soldiers he is placed with and brings the most out of them and the situation he finds himself in to allow us the ability to extract just enough of the tension, fear, excitement that every soldier must feel going to war.

Buy it.