Profile for Mr. Dennis V. Long > Reviews

Content by Mr. Dennis V. Long

Mr. Dennis V. Long "DenLong" (Devon UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Analog Science Fiction and Fact
Analog Science Fiction and Fact

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for Kindle Fire HD, 16 Nov. 2012
I was most disappointed to find that I could not transfer my long standing subscription to this magazine and Asimov's from my Kindle keyboard to my new Kindle Fire HD.
It appears that the UK versions are not compatible with the FIRE whereas the US version is. But Amazon US refers me back to UK when I try to set up a subscription through the US site. It's probably a matter of VAT - but it is sad that once again we lag behind the US.

Come on AMAZON - sort it out please!

7W SES Mini Spiral Energy Saving Bulb
7W SES Mini Spiral Energy Saving Bulb

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, 10 Mar. 2012
These bulbs work well enough in my small bracket wall lights and the colour temperature is acceptably on the warm side - lifespan remains to be seen. The service was good but the product is fairly low quality hence the low price - I purchesed four and one was faulty; it was replaced almost by return of post.

Transcend TS-RDP7W Multi-Card Reader with 3 Port USB Hub - White
Transcend TS-RDP7W Multi-Card Reader with 3 Port USB Hub - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Multiple USB - yes- BUT not Multi-Card, 18 Jan. 2012
A nice neat portable USB hub and card reader. However it only supports one memory card at a time. It does not support external USB disk drives, presumably because there is not enough power; however it appears to be able to recharge a mobile phone and a kindle at the same time through the two USB ports.

A Village Lost and Found: "Scenes in Our Village" by T. R. Williams. An Annotated Tour of the 1850s Series of Stereo Photographs
by Brian May

5.0 out of 5 stars Make your photos 3D using 160 year old technology., 26 Dec. 2011
A most interesting book about the work of the very first 3D photographer. Brian May and Elena Vidal have produced this book with a desire to show T R Williams' pioneering photographic work by reproducing these old stereo pairs and resurrecting the technology with Brian's OWL 3D viewer, which is included with the book. The viewer brought my own stereo photographs to life and made me get out with my digital camera and make more of my own 3D photographic pairs - great fun and very effective.

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000 - White
Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000 - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Laptop Mouse., 4 Oct. 2011
This mouse fits my male hand comfortably, it gives smooth scrolling and it is fairly light weight. The USB radio link is very small and handily fits into a storage socket in the mouse for transporting with my laptop. The battery (just One) lasts quite a while especially if you turn the swith off when not in use. The mouse can be obtained in several colours to ensure that when I am synchronising my two PCs and laptop I can tell which mouse to use with each. Yes I have three of these mice now in black, red and white. Above all they seem to work on any surface and knock spots off the two laser mouses I used to use. Highly Commended

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000 USB - Red
Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000 USB - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Best on more surfaces that any other, 4 Oct. 2011
This mouse fits my male hand comfortably, it gives smooth scrolling and it is fairly light weight. The USB radio link is very small and handily fits into a storage socket in the mouse for transporting with my laptop. The battery (just One) lasts quite a while especially if you turn the switch off when not in use. The mouse can be obtained in several colours to ensure that when I am synchronising my two PCs and laptop I can tell which mouse to use with each. Yes I have three of these mice now in black, red and white. Above all they seem to work on any surface and knock spots off the two laser mouses I used to use. Highly Commended
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2012 5:21 PM BST

Speedlink SL-6612-SSV Wasp2 USB Joystick
Speedlink SL-6612-SSV Wasp2 USB Joystick

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for Flight, 15 July 2011
This stick doesn't rotate and has no facility for rudder control so it is not suitable for flight simulation. I couldn't find any software for setting up the effective range of the joystick axis which in default settings is very coarse. There is only software for showing that each axis and button works.

Panasonic Lumix TZ10 Digital Camera - Red (12.1MP, 12x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Operator, 5 Oct. 2010
I have had this camera since day one (March 12th) and every day it has been a joy to use. It has more power than my Lumix FZ18 and the portability of my Lumix FS7. It stays in a pouch in my trouser pocket all the time, in fact I feel undressed without it.
I can get it into action in under 4 seconds; ie.: see a shot, get the camera out, turn it on, focus and take a shot - all in just under 4 seconds. It really is a "Fast-draw" camera. Last week I was able to take my first three shots of the kingfisher which visits us occasionally - Perfik.
The power of it is amazing; from the 16 x zoom in iA mode to the instant HD movie button make it all very impressive. The superior leica vario-elmar lens seems to suffer no distortions even at its amazing wide angle setting there is no fringing whatever. The most interesting feature is the abilty to have a 3 times zoom Macro setting, which means I can get a full frame spider, bee or grasshoper without getting so close that it takes fright and takes flight.
Exposure and colour balance is perfect most of the time, anti-shake is super if only people would stop moving about in poor light. Battery life with GPS on is less than normal but far better than my GPS route finder/tracker on battery only and more fun to use; I recently used it to find the nearest prominent building and it told me I was near a sports hall - sure enough it was about 150 yards away - how do they pack location data for the whole world into such a small space?.
I have had about 6 or 7 digital cameras over the last 14 years each better than the previous one - the Lumix DMC-TZ10 makes them all look and feel like toys.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2010 9:53 PM BST

Panasonic TX-L32G20B 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview HD and Freesat HD

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Value and Quality, 5 Oct. 2010
This is an all singing all dancing TV which was very easy to set up for freeviewHD, freesatHD and internet access. It works beautifully with my laptop when streaming BBC iPlayer, and it really takes control of my Panasonic TZ10 Lumix camera through the Viera link thingy. It is far better than my 5 year old 26 inch set, especially when I notice I paid over £1200 for it. Highly recommended especially at the current bargain prices.

The brightness control problem experienced by the first reviewer is easily overcome (see my post in the comments).
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2010 2:25 PM BST

Transcend 8Gb SDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card
Transcend 8Gb SDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card

4.0 out of 5 stars SDHC nearly grade 10, 8 April 2010
Works well in my new Panasonic TZ10 for HDvideo. Write speed was checked using 2GB of photo images with a result of 9.90 MB/sec - well over category 6.

Page: 1 | 2