Profile for Julie Brazier > Reviews

Content by Julie Brazier

Julie Brazier (Washington, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Ouma Muesli Rusks 500g
Ouma Muesli Rusks 500g
Offered by Buy South Africa Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best rusks to be had..., 2 Nov. 2015
Ouma muesli rusks were part of my childhood growing up in South Africa, and I'm really glad that they are also available here. The recipe has been through some upheavals over the years, but thankfully they've settled down into a decent variant once more. Dipped in a hot beverage until they're soft enough to bite into easily, these are a real treat and I can't believe that the English do not have anything similar. They don't know what they're missing!

Youpin Figures Letters Folding Cup Tower,Baby Fun Educational Toy Children Kids Basics Stacking and Nesting Piling Cups Pagoda Number Letter Learning Toy
Offered by seguryy

3.0 out of 5 stars Small, cheap and cheerful stacking cups, 2 Nov. 2015
While nicely colourful, these do not have the feel of a quality toy. The dimensions given on the first picture are worth studying because otherwise, like me, you might be surprised at how small they are compared to some of the other stacking cup sets. These would be fun bath toys, they're a bit small to be built into a tower by a younger child because the base of the largest one is only 8cm. The numbers are a nice touch although I wouldn't be sure that the print is going to stay on if they see much action.

Ozeri Pro II Digital Kitchen Scale with Removable Glass Platform, 1g to 12 lbs / 5.5 kg Capacity, with countdown Kitchen Timer

5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to our kitchen, 18 Jun. 2015
We chose this scale as a replacement for a Salter that we'd had for years. We looked at the equivalent Salter ones which had had a lot of people complaining about quality, and someone there recommended the Ozeri brand as an alternative. After looking through the Ozeri reviews we were very sold on the customer service which is always reassuring when trying a new brand.

The scale we were sent doesn't look exactly like the one in the photograph - ours has a glass top, but it's not as issue - it looks just as good. I like the fact that there's a raised platform because it helps when weighing things on plates that would otherwise hide the reading. The scale responds quickly, tares as required, and measures accurately up to 5kg. It also gives you 3 minutes before it switches off automatically, even if the reading is negative, which is great if you need to lift your bowl off for whatever reason, or need to spend some time wrestling open the next packet of ingredients.

This is one of the few models we've found that take AAA batteries and we like that feature because AAA's are easier to get hold of than the Lithium coin batteries and there's the potential for rechargeables too. We did conclude that it doesn't really need to have 4 separate unit-settings (grams, kilograms, ounces and pounds), but it's not a big deal, we just use the ones we need.

Overall I'm really pleased with my purchase.

LEGO City Great Vehicles 60057: Camper Van
LEGO City Great Vehicles 60057: Camper Van
Offered by SARAH ET COMPAGNIE

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set for boys and girls and fun to play with too, 4 Mar. 2015
This is a great set in terms of being quite a sturdy build, plus a hinged section and removable roof so the interior can be accessed easily for play scenarios. Little details like a hinged cubby hole in the roof for storage are nice extras for children to engage with. It also comes with two minifigures. We got this for our daughter for Christmas when she was 4y 8m (because she loved our son's Lego ambulance so much) and while she had a lot of help building it from her big brother, she really enjoys playing with it and acting out little stories with the characters.

NWTC Quicker Picker
NWTC Quicker Picker
Offered by Garden Selections

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective picker, 18 Feb. 2015
This review is from: NWTC Quicker Picker
This has been great for picking apples off our tree. You can use it with your pole of choice, but we use it in combination with a telescoping broom's handle (which I bought on special in a shop) and it works as well as the the much more expensive bespoke telescoping-picking tool.

Rolson Quality Tools Ltd 61703 Three LED Dyno Torch Pink
Rolson Quality Tools Ltd 61703 Three LED Dyno Torch Pink

2.0 out of 5 stars Too fragile to be practical, 18 Feb. 2015
On first impressions, this is a great torch for little ones. It fits snugly into a small hand, is easy to use, and my 4-year-old daughter fell in love with it, especially the colour. However, within 6 weeks of receiving it, the winding handle broke while she was using it. It turns out that the pieces of plastic which act as a hinge, attaching the handle to the torch, are rather fragile (!) and one of them snapped. We've tried glue but without success so far. It would certainly make more sense to have that bit (through which most of the winding force is directed) being really sturdy, but unfortunately that is not the case. :(

Weather Resistant Digital SLR Camera Carry Case with Shoulder Straps & Rain Cover for Canon EOS D Series
Offered by GADGETPLUSUK

5.0 out of 5 stars A handy bag for camera enthusiasts, 16 Sept. 2014
I bought this bag primarily for my husband who likes to take all the camera's extra bits and pieces with us when we go out. It's great for that purpose, and for having one place to stash all the accessories while we're at home too. It holds the DSLR, spare 50mm lens, filters, speed light and batteries with room to spare (yes, we could buy that extra zoom lens), and the tripod can be strapped onto the side if required. We took it on holiday with us as my husband's carry-on luggage and he was able to slide in a pouch with all our travel documents on the top. He didn't report any discomfort carrying it around either.

As this was a present, I was glad that I had a look inside in advance because it came with all the padded velcro-ended bits that make up the internal compartments in a pile. This makes it look much less like a camera bag and less impressive than when it's all set out properly. I found some images on the internet for standard configurations and was able to set it up quickly myself so it was all ready to be used once it was opened.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked well, 30 Jun. 2014
These cake toppers worked well and were very popular with the children they were offered to. I used them to decorate a big "Avengers" themed cake sticking them on top of butter icing and they were fine. Slight tendency to curl if you don't use them straight away out the packet. True Avengers fans will point out these are not all genuine Avengers - Batman is not ever listed as one of the team and if that's the Silver Surfer, he doesn't belong either. Perhaps the description should be modified to just "Marvel Superhero Edible Wafer Paper Cake Toppers"...

Jumbo Skipping Rope
Jumbo Skipping Rope

5.0 out of 5 stars Great skipping rope for children, 30 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Jumbo Skipping Rope (Toy)
I bought this for my 7-year-old son who has been inspired to start skipping by a craze at school. He's still learning, but this rope is great for him because it is shorter than the standard adult length and the rope is a decent weight, so it doesn't trip him up as easily. We've had a really cheap one too and this one is far easier for beginners, it's worth paying the bit extra for the quality.
The name is slightly misleading as there's nothing "Jumbo" about the rope, but having said that it's for kids, I'm 5' 7" and I'm able to use it too if I hold my hands a bit lower, so I think it should work for shorter adults.

Amy Wild, Animal Talker: The Secret Necklace
Amy Wild, Animal Talker: The Secret Necklace
by Diana Kimpton

4.0 out of 5 stars My 6-year-old son really enjoyed this story, 30 Jun. 2014
While the cover might appear a little girly, my son (who reads quite widely) enjoyed this book a lot, happily read it by himself and asked if I could find more in the same series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6