Profile for George Orwell2 > Reviews

Content by George Orwell2

George Orwell2 (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Large Corner Computer Desk with 3 Drawers and A4 Filing Matching other Piranha Beech Effect Home Office Furniture - Regal PC 28b
Offered by Piranha Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly the desk I've been waiting for all these years, 1 Aug. 2016
I've wanted an L-shaped desk for several years now but they all seemed to cost £300-£400 and I could never find exactly what I was after; one with the bend exactly in the centre and with unobtrusive legs. The design and low cost of this desk - plus a lockable set of drawers - made buying it a no-brainer (as the expression goes).

It was delivered within two days and arrives in two packages. The three desktop segments have been packaged with plastic "corner protectors" so they are not damaged in shipping - a great idea. It says two people are required but I built it all by myself and took me about 4-5 hours. Every component has a number label so it's pretty straightforward to build but pay close attention so you get things the right way round. Be sure what side you want the drawers to go on - it wouldn't be easy to just switch it over if you felt like it. It does get a bit stressful. I stopped about 7-8 times and thought either "I don't understand what this guide is telling me to do" or "this just doesn't work, I'm going to have to send it back" but I stuck with it and everything turned out fine. Having read that some people couldn't get their drawers to lock I was expecting to have the same issue but I did it, it works. I had been worried about the chest of drawers boxing me in but it doesn't, there's plenty of leg room (and I have long legs).

The two things that caused me some major grief were:

Part 29 - you have to put two screws in. One was fine but the other drilled hole was so badly placed with so little space available for the screw it seemed impossible. My advice here is: try it, force it and you will hopefully be as surprised as I was to find it does actually go in. I was sure I was going to have to get Piranha to send me a new part so I'm glad I managed to make it work. I imagine this is a known issue and future models won't have this problem.

The other difficulty I encountered was getting the three desktop segments to fit together nicely. I could get two to fit but the third would then be badly out of whack and look terrible. In the end I had to unscrew the cabinet desktop segment I'd assembled earlier, wiggle that around to fit in
with the other two and re-screw it. Now it looks all smoothly integrated like the promotional image. However the lighting of the promo pic makes it look as if the three segments join together seamlessly so you can't tell where one bit ends and the other begins but in reality, the join is very visible and the grain flow of each segment doesn't match its neighbour. Does this matter? Not to me and I don't know how else you could do it without shipping one gigantic bit of L-shaped wood.

I still can't quite believe I've got my perfect L-shaped desk and for such a good price. The only suggestion for improvement I can make to Piranha is to consider selling an even cheaper version without the lockable chest of drawers as I didn't really want it and would have preferred to have even more leg room but I'm not complaining! This was a great purchase and I thoroughly recommend this L-shaped desk to anyone.

StarTech.com 2 Port Black USB KVM Switch Kit with Audio and Cables - Dual Port Desktop USB VGA KVM Switch

5.0 out of 5 stars I was resigned to spending a lot of money getting a HQ KVM to make sure this problem didn't happen again but I thought I'd give, 4 Feb. 2016
My previous experience of KVMs was with Belkin and the last one I had, I got rid of when it started clicking back and forth between PCs every five seconds for no reason (it was quite bizarre to watch). I was resigned to spending a lot of money getting a HQ KVM to make sure this problem didn't happen again but I thought I'd give this one a try after all the good reviews and I’m pleased to find it works perfectly. I'm using Windows 8.1 laptop and Windows 7 desktop. Even without the KVM software installed, it goes back and forth smoothly. This is using 1920 by 1080 resolution. The only disappointing thing is it doesn't automatically switch over when one pc is turned off, which the Belkin did.

NETGEAR D1500-100UKS N300 Wi-Fi Modem Router Essentials Edition
NETGEAR D1500-100UKS N300 Wi-Fi Modem Router Essentials Edition

2.0 out of 5 stars I suspected buying a cheap router would come back to bite me so I recommend spending a bit more and getting something decent, 3 Dec. 2015
Four months after purchase, I switched it on only to find it emitting a burning smell from its power in port. So I now have a fried/dead router. Until then it had been okay even if the connection would drop every so often but I gather that's normal for wireless and Windows 8.1. I suspected buying a cheap router would come back to bite me so I recommend spending a bit more and getting something decent.

Betrayer (The Horus Heresy)
Betrayer (The Horus Heresy)
by Aaron Dembski-Bowden

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous, 1 Feb. 2014
I could write a lot about this novel but I'll keep it brief. I found this an extremely compelling, imaginative, well written and re-readable account of the strange pairing of a World Eaters and Word Bearers joint campaign to destroy as much of Ultramar as they can before the inevitable counter attack can be organised. But it's so much more than that. When reading a novel with Imperial characters, seeing the horror of the Chaos madness, you often wonder "what are they thinking?" Well this is it, page after page of insight into their motivations which I don't want to spoil but it's fascinating and appalling food for thought. Lorgar is well on his way to becoming lost in 10,000 years of contemplating the warp and the portrayal of Angron and the world eaters is a revelation. I'll never look at them in the stereotypical berserker-madman way again. The last few Heresy novels I read were "okay" but this is one of the standouts that's made excited about the series all over again.

Plugable USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter (ASIX AX88179 chipset, Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP, Linux, OS X/macOS, Switch Game Console, Chrome OS)
Offered by Plugable Technologies

4.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't plug and play for me, 1 Feb. 2014
I bought this for my new Windows 8 wireless only laptop which doesn't have a dvd drive. I plugged it in and it wouldn't work, saying it needed a driver. I couldn't use the disk provided and as the adapter itself didn't work, I couldn't get online to get the driver! Had to take the laptop next door to use the neighbour's wireless router to get the necessary driver/update. It works fine after that but I was a bit annoyed and surprised that it didn't work in the first place. Be prepared, this might happen to you too!

Sandisk MP3 Player Sansa Clip 2Gb Black With Radio feature included
Sandisk MP3 Player Sansa Clip 2Gb Black With Radio feature included

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a few more points..., 23 Jun. 2009
Bought this last week and it's an amazing little thing (the size of a 50p and a 20p pushed together). I just have a couple of things to say that I haven't seen mentioned. Firstly is that it did not plug and play for me as easily as all the other reviewers have said. I had to go to Sansa support and update the firmware and switch it to MSC mode but now it's fine. Secondly I was very surprised to discover the headphones supplied are actually quite good, much better than the Creative EP-830s that I bought for it and now wish I hadn't. Hope this helps someone.

Shooting an Elephant: And Other Essays (Penguin Modern Classics)
Shooting an Elephant: And Other Essays (Penguin Modern Classics)
by George Orwell

5.0 out of 5 stars This edition is not so good, 21 Dec. 2008
Orwell is a great writer and that's all that needs to be said about the content but with this specific edition I wish to make two points for a buyer to beware:

1) Re: the introduction by Jeremy Paxman - there isn't one. Not in the copy I got sent anyway. So don't buy it for that.

2) This is some sort of "green" edition which means the cover doesn't have a smooth, cool, plastic feel but instead feels like you are holding a cheap brown envelope. As soon as I touched the book I thought "wow this feels unpleasant" and it was this, more than the missing Paxman essay, that made me decide to return it.

So 5/5 for the content but 1/5 for this edition.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2014 3:35 PM GMT

Belkin Universal UPS 1200VA with USB & Serial Interface
Belkin Universal UPS 1200VA with USB & Serial Interface

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for those seeking a quiet UPS, 15 Nov. 2008
I'm a Belkin fan and as a previous owner of another (now discontinued) Belkin UPS I was confident about spending this amount of money on this UPS so I could power two PCs and a monitor at once. You can find detailed reviews elsewhere but the things I noted were:

1) It is VERY heavy...

2) My previous model was described as noisy but it didn't bother me. The buzz of this one however is certainly louder than my previous model. It is VERY noticeable in a quiet bedroom at night and in the end I had to return it because of this reason.

3) Oddly I couldn't get my Internet connection to work until I replaced the cables I had been using with Belkin's own supplied cables. This seems a little strange but if that's what it wants...

The noise issue was too much and so I ended up buying an APC Back-UPS RS 1500VA instead which runs silently - except when the battery backup kicks on and gets a fan whirring. If you are looking for a silent UPS I recommend that and not this one.

Belkin Omniview 2-Port KVM Switch with Audio Support and Built-In Cabling, USB
Belkin Omniview 2-Port KVM Switch with Audio Support and Built-In Cabling, USB
Offered by EasyShoppingGB

3.0 out of 5 stars It works fine for the money but not perfectly, 15 Nov. 2008
It's probably pointless me posting my review now but perhaps it will be of help to somebody.

It's curious how divided people are over this bit of equipment. As a fan of Belkin I thought I'd take a chance on them and personally, I haven't had any serious problems with this product. It's worth googling and reading some detailed reviews about how to set it up properly - mainly making sure all your USB keyboard and mouse work already beforehand. Installation is then a matter of switching the PC on and then unplugging your keyboard etc and plugging the switch cables in.

The switch-over can be achieved by: physically clicking a button on the switch or by using provided software to create a system tray icon or by pressing the scroll lock key four times in quick succession - this last method bizarrely goes completely unmentioned in the product manual. It makes a loud click as it switches which I find useful although others find annoying. It is not instant but takes two seconds maybe.

Weirdly, this product still isn't Vista supported but this doesn't really mean anything and it still works fine. However I have good grounds for believing that using Vista Ultimate's DreamScene will cause a complete system crash - the switch can't seem to cope with it. That aside it works fine going between XP and Vista.

The other strange thing I've noted is that I have a widescreen monitor and when I use my Pivot software to adjust the screen 90 degrees or whatever, it greatly confuses the switch and I noticed that after, I'm not able to switch to the other PC and it will continue to try to switch even when both PCs are turned off! It clicks away continuously until you unplug and replug the cables which is strange and a bit annoying. If the connection somehow comes loose you will find it constantly "switching" as well.

As other more professional reviewers have noted, if you need to use boot-up for any reason you will have to completely remove the switch because during the start up process, it keeps switching back and forth even when only one PC has been switched on.

I'm also using a Belkin USB to PS/2 Adapter (F5U119EAE) which allows me to continue to use my PS/2 keyboard despite this being a USB switch.

So in conclusion, it works but it does have its issues. I don't regret buying it.

Descent of Angels (The Horus Heresy)
Descent of Angels (The Horus Heresy)
by Mitchel Scanlon
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great, 5 Sept. 2008
I'm enjoying the Horus Heresy series but this is the weakest so far and does lend itself to the suspicion that books are being published to cash in on the fact that the Heresy is so vast in scope the series could easily stretch to 100 novels or more.

Most of this novel is set on Caliban before the Emperor arrives and thus lays the psychological groundwork for what we know the future will bring. The idea of the planet's warrior code and the descriptions of the world are well written but the big failing is the dialogue which is pretty terrible. On page 65 we have the line "I'm not fat protested Eliath I'm just big boned" which as a fan of South Park made me laugh out loud and didn't exactly encourage my expectations for the rest of the novel.

In short, only buy if you are a "completist" (as I am) because it's not a very good novel on the whole and doesn't really belong in the same company as the rest of the Horus series.

Page: 1 | 2