Profile for Average Sci Fi Guy > Reviews

Average Sci Fi Guy

Borne
Borne

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 6 Sept. 2017
This review is from: Borne (Kindle Edition)
An absolutely remarkable gem of a book. Do not be deterred by the seeming ludicrousness of a giant flying bear. This is a subtle, intriguing, touching, surprising, fun and interesting book. I've run out of adjectives for now so I'll stop there...

The Unmaking Engine (The World Walker Series Book 2)
The Unmaking Engine (The World Walker Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best written self-published novels I've read, 13 Mar. 2017
I enjoyed the first novel in this series largely because it was just really well written and engaging. I think I may enjoyed this one even more. I will be reading the next shortly....

Crashing Heaven: The Station Series Book 1
Crashing Heaven: The Station Series Book 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb science fiction book, 10 May 2016
I gave this 5 because there is no 4 1/2 and it was definitely better than a 4! This approaches Iain M Banks in my view, really clever, entertaining and genuine character development etc... Thoroughly recommended.

Roboteer
Roboteer

4.0 out of 5 stars Throughly enjoyable, 27 April 2016
This review is from: Roboteer (Kindle Edition)
This book kept me engaged right the way through. If I was being picky I would say that in some places the plot resolutions could have been more interesting but a great read anyway

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet: Wayfarers 1
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet: Wayfarers 1

4.0 out of 5 stars If it's a debut novel it's a credible one - nice job!, 3 Mar. 2016
Although this is in what I would call the standard current sci fi genre/tradition (it didn't take me into new realms which is ultimately what really excites me) it was a book that I enjoyed and knowing how hard it really is to write a good book I appreciated this one, so four stars from me...

Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch Book 2)
Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another beautifully crafted book, 4 Nov. 2014
Another beautifully crafted book, even more assured than I dared hope for after discovering the first in the series, Ancillary Justice. I am mentally lined up to buy and read anything else that Ann Leckie writes. Such a treat to read fast-paced science fiction that is also genuinely thought-provoking and masterfully written.

Ancillary Justice: THE HUGO, NEBULA AND ARTHUR C. CLARKE AWARD WINNER (Imperial Radch Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
Top end sci fi, the type of book that is very hard to come by. A class act, thanks!

Second Foundation (Book Three of The Foundation Series)
Second Foundation (Book Three of The Foundation Series)
by Isaac Asimov
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars WHERE ARE THE FIRST TWO FOUNDATION TITLES ON KINDLE?, 11 Dec. 2013
Asimov's Foundation SERIES does not need my review - anybody that knows anything about science fiction will know that this is a classic. What it does need is a publisher with the vaguest clue. Specifically this is a three part series and having the third book in the series available on kindle without the first two being available on kindle seems somewhat pointless. If the whole series was available I'm sure lots of Asimov fans like me would snap up the opportunity to re-read them....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2014 6:21 PM GMT

The Petrovitch Trilogy: An omnibus edition
The Petrovitch Trilogy: An omnibus edition

1.0 out of 5 stars Had to stop reading this after getting 1/3 of the way through book 1, 2 July 2013
I gave this a good go because I enjoy a good story and I am realistic about the level of literary accomplishment that is strictly necessary to get a good story across (not to say I don't enjoy the happy coincidence of a good, or even a great, writer tackling sci fi). However, ultimately I just could not carry on putting myself through the experience and had to stop (this was long after I had become embarrassed for myself at continuing to read a book that seemed to have been written by a teenager). As an aside I am almost certain that there is no such word as "span" in the sense of "he span around to see what was behind him" - I think that the word "spun" might be what the author was looking for (I mention this because this word in this type of context features more than once...)

I seldom write reviews but was prompted to do so when I realised that I had parted with £10 for the privilege of discarding over 90% of what I paid for...and derived negative utility out of the 10% that I did consume...

I had a similar experience with a book called "Ready Player One" but in that case I managed to grit my teeth and ultimately get some enjoyment from the experience (though I would not recommend that book either).
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2014 10:30 PM BST