Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos
Profile for exile71 > Reviews

Content by exile71

exile71

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Stranger From The Sea: A Novel of Cornwall 1810-1811 (Poldark Book 8)
The Stranger From The Sea: A Novel of Cornwall 1810-1811 (Poldark Book 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't disappoint, 1 Aug. 2016
Another great Winston Graham Poldark treat!

Finding Home: A brilliant feel good romance
Finding Home: A brilliant feel good romance

3.0 out of 5 stars Summer Holiday Read, 1 Aug. 2016
It was a while ago that I read this and I can't actually remember the plot! I was attracted by the premise of country house type romantic saga but I don't think it lived up to my expectations. OK summery holiday type novel.

Vagabond Bags Wheat Wrap in Cream Paw Fleece with Cotswold Lavender and Wheat
Vagabond Bags Wheat Wrap in Cream Paw Fleece with Cotswold Lavender and Wheat

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice product, 1 Aug. 2016
Nice, cosy with pleasant smelling lavender filling. Third cushion I have bought for my son who suffers night time growing pains. He loves it.

Summer at the Cornish Cafe: Perfect for fans of Poldark (The Penwith Trilogy, Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Light Summer Reading, 1 Aug. 2016
OK summer read - very easy.

Finance for Nonfinancial Managers, Second Edition (Briefcase Books Series) (Briefcase Books (Paperback))
by Gene Siciliano

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware this is an American book, 1 Aug. 2016
Good intro to finance and very clearly explains everything with examples. Though be careful as it's American and some of the terms we use in the UK are different. I would try and find a UK version if you need something like this.

Weatherland: Writers and Artists under English Skies
Weatherland: Writers and Artists under English Skies
by Alexandra Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth persevering through the earlier chapters, 1 Aug. 2016
I am enjoying reading this book for a few reasons. Firstly it is beautifully written and well researched. Secondly the subject matter is interesting (art, literature and the English weather!), and thirdly it's one of those books which opens doors to authors and works that you may not have considered reading before (I've always stopped short of reading Orlando for instance, though I love Woolf, it has encourage me to give it a go).

I did get a bit stuck on some of the earlier chapters (up to Shakespeare) but now that we are on more familiar territory (Romantics, Victorians, Pre-Raphaelites and later) I am racing through it. I would recommend if you enjoy English writing, history, and art. Very good overview of each through the ages and just enough to encourage further exploration of topics of interest.

The Angry Tide: A Novel of Cornwall 1798-1799 (Poldark Book 7)
The Angry Tide: A Novel of Cornwall 1798-1799 (Poldark Book 7)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read in the Poldark series, 7 April 2016
7th book and still going strong. If anything The Angry Tide is a much more personal read; the feelings and emotions of all the main characters are explored in greater depth than previously. I don't know what I will do when I've finished them!

Shelley: The Pursuit
Shelley: The Pursuit
by Richard Holmes

5.0 out of 5 stars ... got about 200 pages to read but what an amazing experience, I don't want it to end, 12 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Shelley: The Pursuit (Paperback)
I've still got about 200 pages to read but what an amazing experience, I don't want it to end. Shelley, The Pursuit has had me gripped for the last 3 weeks, every day looking forward to the next hour I can indulge myself with this fabulous book. It's not a short read at over 700 pages but so, so worth it. A book to totally immerse oneself in, even though you know the ending. Thoroughly researched, Holmes totally
gets under the skin of Shelley, at times passionate, loving, politically challenging and admirably vociferous in his views, yet oddly misjudging of others feelings. I also have to keep reminding myself how young all the main characters are and what they achieved both in their private and professional lives so early on. The Pursuit is also very apt title, one has the constant impression of movement throughout Shelley's life, it's literally as though he cannot remain in one place, and the boom it often reeds as a travel journey of Italy, this only adds to its attraction. Highly, highly recommended. I feel a trip to Italy coming on...

Lizzie Siddal: The Tragedy of a Pre-Raphaelite Supermodel
Lizzie Siddal: The Tragedy of a Pre-Raphaelite Supermodel
by Lucinda Dickens Hawksley

4.0 out of 5 stars The origins of Lizzie and Rosetti's story are fascinating however my only criticism (more to do with the individuals themselves, 19 Aug. 2015
A very interesting read for anyone who enjoys this period. The origins of Lizzie and Rosetti's story are fascinating however my only criticism (more to do with the individuals themselves perhaps than the author) is that it became rather tedious that Lizzie kept calling Rosetti back to her with 'serious illness'. That said I would recommend this as an easy, interesting and well written introduction to Lizzie and the group around her.

Footsteps
Footsteps

4.0 out of 5 stars I found the initial section on Stevenson excellent, not knowing much at all about the writer, 15 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Footsteps (Kindle Edition)
Footsteps is an unusual book with a unique and attractive premise - the author literally following in the geographical footsteps of authors and poets. I found the initial section on Stevenson excellent, not knowing much at all about the writer, and expected more of the same throughout the rest of the book. Disappointingly however, the remaining sections felt more like mini autobiographical essays, the links with Holmes' travel slightly tenuous. Nevertheless a good read and I will follow up with more of Holmes actual biographies.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5