Profile for pman > Reviews

Content by pman

pman "pman" (Near Bedale, North Yorkshire United Kingdom)

The Triumph of the Political Class
The Triumph of the Political Class
by Peter Oborne

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant analysis, 1 April 2008
This is one of the best political books I've ever read. I was sceptical at first because I'm no fan of the Daily Mail, but Oborne won me over within a few pages. He writes with clarity and makes the subject both enjoyable and blood boiling at the same time.
I'm hospital consultant and can see parallels with how the political class are disempowering the medical profession in the same way as the other professions that he mentions in the book. The mechanisms and reasons are the same i.e empower a few apparatchiks (e.g Lord Darzi, the CMO) and disempower the rest (deprofessionalisation and loss of self regulation) with the overarching goal of enriching the private sector helath organisations in order to be handed plum jobs later on (e.g Patrica Hewitt now works as an advisor for Boots and Simon Stephens (former health advisor to Blair) is now CEO of United Healthcare Europe). Maybe, Peter Oborne can add a chapter on the "Attack on the medical profession" in the next edition!

NHS Plc: The Privatisation of Our Health Care
NHS Plc: The Privatisation of Our Health Care
by Allyson M. Pollock

5.0 out of 5 stars Just read this book, please, 23 Feb. 2006
A very important piece of work. Politicians have done their level best to rubbish the author and to some extent they have acheived their goal. The NHS was failing due to chronic under investment (£200 billion from inception according to the Wanless report), not due to the fact that it was a publically run service. It has probably been one of the most efficient public services in the world. The arguement that private companies do better is totally unproven and overstated. I work in a PFI hospital which gives 10% of its income to the private consortia every year (>£30 million). Not surprisingly, we are heavily in debt and have too few beds! This strangles the development of new services and new ideas - Business plans are just put on hold. The medical and nursing professions have let the public down by not uniting against these disastrous policies. Unfortunately the BMA and Royal Colleges are full of yes men awaiting their pensions and gongs. It's now up to the grass roots to spread the word about this book and salvage some of the NHS. Don't get me wrong, we do need a bigger private sector and we should incentivise the wealthy to go private, but the current system of giving public money to private companies is absolutley outragous. Good luck to Prof Pollock. The fact that MPs have tried to discredit her is a testemant to her vision and the truth. I am making my goal to inform as many people as I can about this book. Read it and make your own mind up - after spitting blood, you might just agree.

Final MB: A Guide to Success in Clinical Medicine
Final MB: A Guide to Success in Clinical Medicine
by Harry Dalton BSc DPhil(Oxon) FRCP DipMedEd

5.0 out of 5 stars For all medical undergraduates and teaching clinicians!, 12 Feb. 2006
This book is already deservedly popular amongst medical students. As a clinician I'm regularly involved in undergraduate medical education and have found this book to be a very useful guide for both students and myself. This book offers invaluable practical advice and provides a well structured approach to learning clinical medicine. A must.