Profile for The Raven King > Reviews

Deadpool [Blu-ray] [2016]
Deadpool [Blu-ray] [2016]
Dvd ~ Ryan Reynolds

5.0 out of 5 stars Deadpool, 20 July 2016
My favourite film of 2016. As a comic book fan, this is just a perfect translation from comic to celluloid. Ryan Reynolds was born to play DP, credit to him for holding out on the character when it was in development hell. Laugh out loud funny and even seeing it a couple of times at the cinema, we didn't catch everything. Rammed full of extras, it's been cool to watch all the detail behind the film and the gag reel was hysterical. This is one of the comic book films that totally hits the mark, action (or violence depending on your perspective), effects, story and Ryan Reynolds giving the performance of his career in my book.

Battery for laptop PACKARD BELL EasyNote TS13-HR-035UK 4400mAh 10.8V - Visiodirect -
Offered by Jintaiyun

5.0 out of 5 stars Laptop battery, 20 July 2016
I confess that I had bought laptop batteries before and it's been a bit of a pain. You have all the right details such as the model number that you are replacing only to find that it's not an authentic model and my old laptop had a huge message saying that it was not an official battery. Also the prices were extraordinarily high and that is always a massive put off. I don't know whether laptop batteries just happen to be a lot lower nowadays or my model is common enough to keep the price low but I was really surprised at the cost. As I had the right model number, I didn't even second guess it and just ordered. Super fast (standard) delivery so thanks for that Visiodirect, perfect fit and all of a sudden my laptop is cordless again. Great purchase, really happy.

Ugly Noise
Ugly Noise

5.0 out of 5 stars Flotz til Death, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Ugly Noise (Audio CD)
Flotsam and Jetsam will no doubt always be associated with Jason Newsted and the fact that he left Flotsam to join Metallica. It's interesting that for the first time since Newsted's last contribution to Flotsam in the 1980's that he worked with the band again on this release, although it is not clear from the credits to exactly which songs Nested contributed to.

Flotsam are survivors of the thrash era and they have rolled with the musical changes with grace, dignity and a desire to keep their name out there. The band have always been able to find their groove without turning out the same album twice. If I was to compare this to any of their back catalogue, it would have to be 'Drift'. Very song driven with some superb set pieces, Eric AK is in fine voice. Despite its title, 'Ugly Noise' is incredibly listenable and after only a few spins the lyrics become embedded.

Originally, this album was released under a very successful 'Pledge Music' campaign (the future of music?) and Flotsam recently embarked on a second campaign to re-record their second album 'No Place For Disgrace'. The interest in 'Ugly Noise' was inspiring to say the least. I was and will always be a 'Pledger' on Flotsam releases. This is my second copy of 'Ugly Noise', my original copy came signed as part of Pledge. I want to frame the cover and the CD but there is no way am I going to have a gap in my rack.

Whether you are a fan or not, go get 'Ugly Noise'', it is the sound of a band that are still in their prime, it defies tags, especially the thrash tag which I always thought was misplaced for Flotsam. This is just terrific music by a band that deserved so much more.

Sons of Anarchy - Season 1-5 [Blu-ray] [2013]
Sons of Anarchy - Season 1-5 [Blu-ray] [2013]
Dvd ~ Charlie Hunnam
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars SAMCRO, 20 April 2014
Whilst the world is moving to online solutions for tv/film, sometimes the physical copy is the only way to go. After waiting for a year for Amazon to show season 5 of this fantastic series and it not appearing as yet, I felt that it was time to invest in a physical copy.

Blu-Ray has revolutionised the way that I watch films and you cannot argue with the quality on a decent sized HD TV. Neatly packaged in a cardboard slip case, the five seasons are in two boxes, a collection of 4 seasons in a oddly shaped box and then a separate box for season 5.

This was a series that I initially didn't have much interest in but my wife began watching it and I found myself hooked. Gritty and with a terrific cast the trials and tribulations of the Sons, a story of family and brotherhood had me riveted, taking me through a range of emotions. Having purchased this box set we are about to embark on e watching rather than going straight to Season 5. With a wealth of extras, it will be an interesting journey, no doubt.

Premium 5-inch Carry Case Fits All 5-inch Garmin GPS Navigators
Premium 5-inch Carry Case Fits All 5-inch Garmin GPS Navigators
Offered by Best Digital Market

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin 5 Inch carry case, 20 April 2014
This case does pretty much what it says on the tin as it were. The velcro fastener is solid and the sat nav is tightly in the case. Practical and sturdy, unless you're quite happy to not bother with a case at all this is a value for money case for looking after the sat nav.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Battery replacement, 31 Aug. 2013
My battery for Samsung W melted whilst on holiday.

These replacements are superb, better than the original Samsung battery and so cheap that I bought two.

Feast
Feast
Offered by RAREWAVES

5.0 out of 5 stars Feast your ears, 31 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Feast (Audio CD)
Annihilator never fail to deliver and are one of the hardest working bands in the metal scene.

As well as the brand spanking new album which is top notch in itself, the 2CD version includes 15 re-recorded songs from Annihilator's past. As a long time fan, it's cool to hear older material "reimagined". Musically, there is not a lot of difference from the originals apart from the superb production. However, current vocalist Dave Padden does put his own spin on the vocals. Padden is something of a chameleon, live he makes a fantastic job of older material and manages to sound like his predecessors. This CD gives a studio version of how good he can do it on stage.

This package of 'Feast' is seriously good value for money. No doubt most Annihilator fans might head for the 2nd CD first but the album proper is Annihilator through and through.

Queensr’che
Queensr’che

5.0 out of 5 stars The 'Ryche is back!, 7 July 2013
This review is from: Queensr’che (Audio CD)
As a long time fan of Quensryche it has been interesting watching the drama of the split unfold and seeing what both versions of the band could come up with.

Without a doubt, after what seems like an eternal absence, Queensryche have truly returned. New vocalist Todd LaTorre is a revelation. Fair enough, he sounds like Geoff Tate and will be seen by some as an imitator but with a voice like he has, I truly don't care because Queensryche sound once again like the band that I fell in love with 30years ago.

The album doesn't feel rushed or over exposed. James Barton's production is balanced and gives the album good overall sound. Pacing is good and the mixture of hard rockers and slower songs means that momentum is maintained.

Favourite songs are "Where Dreams Go To Die" and "Vindication" but tomorrow it will be something else.

The only disappointment is the length, at 35minutes, it is short but it's a minor complaint in comparison to the quality on offer. The deluxe edition makes up for it with the three live songs and hearing Todd sing 'Queen Of The Reich" gave me shivers!

Awesome release and a golden opportunity for Queensryche to make their way back to the top in 2013.

AZATOM® UFO Docking station portable speaker for iPod & iPhone / Built-in High power rechargable battery / Remote Control / Unique design / Quality sound with bass port technology

5.0 out of 5 stars AZATOM UFO, 7 July 2013
I was looking for a docking station that was ultra portable for going on holiday, not too heavy for a case. I f I could help it, I didn't want to compromise on sound. I have been looking at various docking stations and the prices vary quite wildly. The UFO seemed to fit the bill. I was aware of the poor reviews but as they were well outweighed by the good, thought that it was a safe bet.

I have to say, I made the best choice. I do consider myself an audiophile and I am very picky with sounds. Fair enough, this station will never match up to the separates I have in the living room but it does exactly what I need it too. The sound fills the room quite easily and even pushing it to go louder fails to distort the sound.

The unit is easy to use with the three buttons on the front for volume control and power on/off. The connector is solid and the flap which protects it from dust also serves as a back support. I was impressed with the fact that my iPod Classic fits without me having to take the rugged plastic protective case off. I have another docking station which forces me to take the case off.

The remote is a tad flimsy but does what it needs to do and is simple to use.

I think that my favourite part is that the unit has a rechargeable battery allowing the UFO to be ultra portable. While I purchased this mainly for our holiday, I know that it will get use around the house and I don't have to be looking for a socket to plug it in to use. Battery life is very good between charges. Note that when the unit is operated by battery it does not charge the iPod.

Overall this was a fantastic purchase and I would wholly recommend the UFO. It arrives well packaged and within a couple of days of ordering.

Persistence Of Time [Australian Import]
Persistence Of Time [Australian Import]
Offered by Leisurezone

5.0 out of 5 stars Now its Dark, 19 Feb. 2012
This was never my favourite Anthrax album, I bought it on vinyl at the time and maybe due to where I was in my life, the more complex, almost progressive nature of some of the songs did not sit right with me at the time.

In retrospect, "The Persistence of Time" is second only to "Among The Living". As much as I still like "State of Euphoria", sandwiched between "AtL" and "PoT", "State of Euphoria" now sounds rather empty and souless.

I always much preferred the Joey-era of Anthrax and Belladonna sounds mighty fine on "PoT"...darker and more menacing, rumbling with some of the heavyweight subject matter.

"Persistence of Time" still stands as a fine Anthrax album and certainly belies its age.

Got the time?