Profile for Mrs's > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Agnes Grey
Agnes Grey

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit pious., 12 Jan. 2017
This review is from: Agnes Grey (Kindle Edition)
I had forgotten how preachy were the Victorians and found this book barely readable at times. The narrator is unlikeable so doesn't generate much empathy. All predictable I fear.

Magpie Murders
Magpie Murders

4.0 out of 5 stars A whodunit within a whodunit., 13 Nov. 2016
This review is from: Magpie Murders (Kindle Edition)
As such books aways are, it was gripping. I guessed one murderer, not the other. I was amused by it.

Janequin - La Chasse
Janequin - La Chasse

5.0 out of 5 stars Janequin, 26 May 2013
This review is from: Janequin - La Chasse (Audio CD)
It's an amazing record. I didn't know anything about either the composer or the group until I heard 'the Hunt' on radio 3. So I bought the record and it's a delight.

J.S. Bach: Das Wohltemperierte Clavier (Books I & II)
J.S. Bach: Das Wohltemperierte Clavier (Books I & II)

4.0 out of 5 stars Bach, 27 Jan. 2013
Excellent and skilled performance of these Bach piano works. This is a box of discs to be dipped into and taken to calm the nerves or aid a reflective mood.

Beethoven: Diabelli Variations, Op. 120
Beethoven: Diabelli Variations, Op. 120

5.0 out of 5 stars Diabelli Variations, 27 Jan. 2013
Paul Lewis has become an expert on Beethoven's piano works. His performance in the Diabelli variations confirms his position as among the finest performers today. Anybody whoo appreciates Beethoven's piano works will appreciate this.

Handel's finest arias for Base Voice
Handel's finest arias for Base Voice

5.0 out of 5 stars Handel, 27 Jan. 2013
Christopher Purves has an amazing voice which he uses to great effect in these songs. Each song requires a different aspect of his character and he rises to each superbly.

Schubert: Schwanengesang
Schubert: Schwanengesang

5.0 out of 5 stars Swansong, 27 Jan. 2013
This is more fine work from the duo Mark Padmore and Paul Lewis. To lovers of Schubert songs it is an essential version. Immaculately performed.

Dipsora
Dipsora
by Ramella Jay

3.0 out of 5 stars Jay Ramella's first book., 27 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Dipsora (Paperback)
This book is full of ideas and characters. It has a lincolnshire setting, a setting well known to the author, I think, which appears almost as an extra caharacter. However, the characters themselves were very hard to empathise with. None of them made me hope for their survival. The ending was very complicated and I think would have been helped by some editing. I understand there will be a sequel. I hope the characters who reappear will have learnt compassion and feeling for their fellow creatures.

I would recommend it to readers who do not need to identify with the characters in the books they read.

Schubert: Die Schone Mullerin (Mark Padmore / Paul Lewis)
Schubert: Die Schone Mullerin (Mark Padmore / Paul Lewis)

5.0 out of 5 stars Die Schone Mullerin, 27 Jan. 2013
I gave this five stars because it is an excellent performance. I love schubert songs and these are beautifully performed by excellent artists. I would recommend it to anyone who appreciates Schubert performed well.

Stephen Hough: French Album (French Piano Music) (Stephen Hough) (Hyperion: CDA67890)
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Hough, 13 Dec. 2012
I found this a bit disappointing. I would like Stephen Hough to apply his obvious talent to something a little more serious. Also the title was misleading. The performance was good. Choice of work less so.

Page: 1 | 2