Profile for M. Mckay-Davies > Reviews

Philips Master LED GU10 Spot Dimmable 4W (35W replacement) Warm White
Philips Master LED GU10 Spot Dimmable 4W (35W replacement) Warm White
Offered by The Energy Saving Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice tight down light., 19 July 2015
These LED spots have a very narrow beam and a pleasing warm colour. I bought two for ceiling mounted bedside table spots and I'm very pleased with the result. They are much better than the generic wide angle spots that they replace.

Cadbury Crunchie Single (Pack of 12)
Cadbury Crunchie Single (Pack of 12)
Offered by krish shoppers

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank Crunchie it's Friday., 19 July 2015
I Love Crunchies. Unfortunately they're a bit hard to find in Madrid, so I didn't buy these for myself, instead they were a surprise for my brother who is also a big fan. Obviously he was very happy with them.

Crush 3D (Nintendo 3DS)
Crush 3D (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by APE-GAMES

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all!, 13 May 2012
I've been playing Pullblox a lot on my commute to work, and as I've almost completed it I was looking for a successor. I tried the Crush 3D demo, and was impressed enough to get the full game.

The game is really quite good. The 'crush' mechanic works well, and flipping between 2D and 3D to move around the puzzle to collect marbles is both challenging and rewarding. The 3D really adds depth to the visuals, but can be switched off if the eyes are getting tired. I've had the game about a week, and I'm about a quarter of the way through the levels, so I'm a bit worried the game might not last that long, though I'm hoping the difficulty increases in later levels. So far the difficulty has ramped up smoothly, with the earlier levels being fairly easy and acting as a tutorial (this explains some things that aren't mentioned in the demo). The later levels I've played have taken me between 10-30 minutes to complete aiming for perfect (collect all marbles, book and cup). There is a timed challenge mode for each level, that gets unlocked when you get a 'perfect' on a level, which may add some replay value.

It is always difficult to comment on value for money without mentioning the price I paid, and also without having fully completed the game. But unlike some games, I do feel that I will want to complete this one, and I'm enjoying the puzzles, so at the current price of less than a tenner, I'd definitely recommend it.

LEGO Technic 9392: Quad Bike
LEGO Technic 9392: Quad Bike

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 1 May 2012
This review is from: LEGO Technic 9392: Quad Bike (Toy)
The guys at Lego have done a great job getting so much working detail into such a small kit. It has front wishbone supsension, back suspension, chunky tyres, working steering, working piston, and a bit of drive chain (you can never have enough chain!).

It looks great on my desk at work, and the suspension handles driving over my keyboard, books and all other manner of rough terrain with ease!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2013 12:50 PM BST

Lowepro Dublin 20 Pouch for Camera - Black/Arctic Blue
Lowepro Dublin 20 Pouch for Camera - Black/Arctic Blue
Offered by Camera Centre UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Snug fit for my finepix 600EXR camera, 5 April 2012
I bought this case for my finepix 600EXR camera and I'm pleased that it is a very snug fit, and that the case is no bigger than necessary.

There is a little pocket for a spare SD card, and just enough room for a spare battery (tucked in beside the camera lens at the top). The case has a belt loop, but doesn't have anywhere to attach a carry strap or karabiner, however you can use the camera's carry strap. The quality of the materials, stitching etc. appears to be pretty good, and there is a card sewn into the back to offer more rigidity and protect the camera's LCD. I doubt this case would do much to protect the camera if you dropped it, but it will protect it from scratches, light bangs, etc. As this case is soft, there is also a risk that you could switch the camera on by accident, thus extending the lens within the case. I can for example easily press the shutter button. Thankfully the on/off button on my camera is recessed a little between the shutter button and a lump on the top of the camera. The case should offer some protection from rain, however the stitching will eventually allow water to creep through.

Apple iPod Touch 16GB
Apple iPod Touch 16GB

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for email, youTube and web browsing., 29 Jun. 2008
Well I've had the iTouch for several months now and I have to admit it is much better than I first thought. I'm not an Apple devotee so it took me quite a while before I decided to buy one. What swung it for me was watching the keynote address about the iPhone SDK and the potential for future applications and gaming.

To be truthful I wasn't looking for a music player, more a replacement for my aging Palm PDA. So the news that you'd be able to run applications and even write your own was enough for me to pick one up.

I can't say much about the device as a music player. To be honest my Sony mp3 player is probably a better device for this as it has excellent noise canceling headphones and can be used in the pocket without needing to look at the display. I can't say much about video playback or photos as I haven't got around to putting any on the device.

However, I can talk about the email client, youTube, the web browser and iTunes integration, oh and google maps. They are all excellent.

I find myself frequently using the web browser on my iTouch rather than booting up the PC. Similarly I can check my email quickly without the need for a PC too.

I can use the iTouch to write quite long emails as the keyboard, contrary to many (iPhone/smartphone) reviews is very good. The keyboard is virtual, rather than a physical keyboard with real buttons and as such provides no tactical feedback when you press a key. When you look at the keyboard when composing emails it looks fairly small and typing errors are very frequent. However what many of the negative reviews of the iPhone keyboard neglect to mention, is that the keyboard has both corrective and predictive text... Difficult to explain, but it will try to predict the word you are trying to type e.g. 'hello' even if you've typed 'helko' because you've typed k instead of l due to their close proximity to each other. In practice you can type very quickly even if you're getting say 20% of the letters incorrect. I'm very impressed with this feature.

I would also like to mention the language support of the device. You can select which languages you wish the device to support, for example, English, Spanish and Japanese and then when you're writing email etc. you can easily change between these keyboards. The japanese is particularly impressive as you can type in romanji and it will give you the kanji and hiragana options. Again with predictive completion. Very cool.

The implementation of google maps is brilliant. You can do the zoom in and out thingy with your fingers... it can give you satellite overlays etc. the same as on the PC. It is worth knowing that it seems to cache the maps so that you can store a map for when you're out and about away from a wifi access point.

iTunes integration is very good and the wifi support allows you to browse and purchase music whenever you feel like again without the PC. The same for youTube. You are guaranteed to waste more time on youTube with this device... and if you've set up the email you can send friends links.... (If it sounds like I'm old because I'm going on about email rather than facebook/mySpace etc... it is because I am :-)

I don't have a protective cover for my device, other than keeping it in a soft (minidisk) pouch. It seems to be pretty robust as I don't give it any special treatment. It gets slung in my rucksack with all my other junk. The screen does get smeared, but after the first week or so you stop fanatically polishing it :) Keeping it in the previously mentioned pouch keeps it fairly polished without any effort.

I find the stocks application very useful, it gives you a 20 minutes delayed price and % change for each of your stocks. The weather application gives you a week at glance for each location you setup (In Madrid, that's mostly 'scorchio'). It all works very nicely.

On the 11th of July Apple will be releasing a software update for the iTouch (unfortunately we'll have to pay to upgrade) which will allow access to the application store, which will be to apps what iTunes is to music. I'm particularly looking forward to getting Sega's super monkey ball game :-)

There are a few issues, like no cut, copy and paste when editing text. It also seems to occasionally jump out of youTube or the web browser for no reason... It has locked up once or twice mainly whilst trying to exit a youTube video.

Overall I'd say that the iTouch is a pretty decent portable computer. It has even made me think that the iPhone might not be such a bad idea after all.

Geez. I sound like an Apple fan boy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2008 6:53 PM BST

LEGO Technic 8291: Dirt Bike
LEGO Technic 8291: Dirt Bike

5.0 out of 5 stars Great kit, 29 Jun. 2008
This review is from: LEGO Technic 8291: Dirt Bike (Toy)
I haven't built a tech lego kit for a while (age 32 ish) but at the current price I couldn't resist this model. It took at least half an hour to build, so not a bad challenge. The bike has lots of realistic detail like the working pistons, chain drive and suspension. I am very happy with the kit and the resulting bike looks great on my desk. I'll have to start saving my pocket money up for another kit :-)

Ds100 Dual Stand Clamp
Ds100 Dual Stand Clamp

5.0 out of 5 stars Great build quality, 15 Oct. 2007
I bought this to support two 22" widescreen Iiyama monitors....
I'm very impressed with the quality. It has a very solid base and the finish is excellent. It comes with plenty of cable ties too, to keep all the cabling neat. You can download the complete specifications/dimensions from Ergotron's website for more information.

Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo DS)
Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Complexia Inc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing game, 1 Jun. 2006
I have to agree with all the other reviewers... This game is great. I bought this game for my fiancee, to see if I could get her into gaming, within hours she was hooked.... I couldn't watch over her shoulder for more than a couple of days before buying myself a copy.... We're both in our 30s, which just goes to show that this game can appeal to anyone.

I've been playing this game for several weeks now, on the train to work and back again.... I can't put it down.

It's the first of June, and suddenly I've noticed there are lots of new bugs to be caught, and also new fish... I bagged an ocean sun fish and a hammer head shark today :-)

This game is possibly the best £25 I've spent....

A Celebration of Soup: With Classic Recipes from Around the World (Cookery Library)
by Lindsey Bareham

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book on soups., 27 Dec. 2003
I have to agree with all the other reviews of this book.. It is brilliant.
I had only a little previous experience of making soups before, so I am no expert, however I've cooked about 6 soups from this book (that's about 1/100th of those in the book) and all have been exceptional (Well, the banana curry soup caused a bit of stir, not everyone's taste :-). I will shortly be ordering a copy of this book for each of my close friends that appreciate good food! - It will save me copying out recipes in the long run :-)

Page: 1 | 2