Profile for William De Worde > Reviews

Content by William De Worde

William De Worde (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Canon EOS 550D Digital SLR Camera (inc 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Kit) - (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Little box of magic, 6 Jun. 2012
I like this camera being small and light. I like my f/1.4 50mm lens and this body combination for a lightweight combination and the way they look together. Larger lenses tend to look a bit odd and feel a little unbalanced on this camera body.

I bought this camera a year and a half ago. I was immediately impressed even when using the 18-55mm kit lens.
Several lenses later and I'm still loving this little box of excellence. You get the same 18 MP sensor that is in the 7D so there is no difference in image quality between this and more expensive models. Stick a good lens on this camera and you get fantastic quality shots. There is no compromise on image quality at all. The compromise comes with the features.

The ISO performance is very good. Higher ISO settings obviously contain more noise but it allows me to capture images that would otherwise escape. You can also use high ISO noise to give a grainy look to your images, which works well in B & W.

Video capture is good enough for me. Combined with an IS lens you get good results. Looks good enough on my 42" TV.

I like to use the liveview and zoom in to manually focus. This method works really well with macro and portraits but isn't practical for anything that moves. I find it quite hard to manually focus through the small viewfinder, especially where depth of field is shallow. I've also ruined a few photos by including or excluding detail which isn't seen in the 95% viewfinder. However, for such a small lightweight camera, you can't really expect a massive viewfinder.

My only real niggle is the autofocus system, although it is usually pretty good, especially when paired with a good lens. I usually use the centre autofocus point which is the only cross type autofocus point and therefore more accurate.

This camera isn't the best for photographing sports but if you fire off plenty of shots you'll get a few keepers.

A few features that I have since found that would be beneficial for my photography and would consider upgrading for are: A better autofocus system, larger viewfinder, integrated Speedlite transmitter. However, I'm still more than happy with this camera and will probably hang on to it even if I do upgrade.

Canon EF 50 mm-f/1.4 USM Lens
Canon EF 50 mm-f/1.4 USM Lens
Offered by Y Tech Digital

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed results, 14 May 2012
I want to like this lens but I'm struggling.
My version doesn't seem to auto-focus particularly well at all. I've sent the lens back to Canon a couple of times now and still I get mixed auto-focus results. My copy seems to focus better on closer subjects.
If I didn't know better I'd say this lens had been made by Tamron or Sigma.
I've found that zooming in using the live view and manually focusing yields far superior results but this isn't exactly the fastest way to shoot. Perhaps I need to upgrade from my 550D which has only one cross type auto-focus point and a relatively small viewfinder. However, my other lenses have no issues with auto-focus.
I don't think that this lens is compatible with Canon's ETTL flash system. It gives no distance information.
At wider apertures, DOF is very shallow, which I like. Focus can be a bit hit and miss at such narrow DOF but that is entirely down to operator error so I will have to get better. I really do like the bokeh that this lens produces.
My copy of this lens also jammed which was due to the gears not engaging when focusing. This is due to the lens having been dropped or bumped, although since I did neither of these things I'm left wondering who did. This also suggests that the way in which the front element extends outwards during focussing leaves this lens susceptible to damage. Some reviewers on the web recommend not using a lens hood but then others say you should in order to protect the front of the lens. I personally don't like having a lens hood on this lens but I've been using one to protect the front of the lens. On newer lenses the elements move inside the lens which would be a better design for this piece of kit.
I'm left feeling distinctly underwhelmed by this lens.

Wireless Remote Control for Canon 300D,350D,400D,450D,500D 550D 600D 650D 700D 60D T2i as RC-5 RC5.
Offered by BV-electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 28 Oct. 2011
I've had this remote for a good while now.
It still works even after going through the washine machine. I had to glue the front back on with superglue but it's still going strong.
The lens can seem to get in the way when firing this remote from the side so you have to be careful how you aim.

Canon 100EG Custom Gadget Bag
Canon 100EG Custom Gadget Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the size, 26 Oct. 2011
I use this bag when I only need to carry one lens attached to my EOS 550D. The bag isn't huge but it's not designed to be. The padded strap is comfortable and strong.
There's room enough for accessories in the front pouch and a small zipped area inside the top.
If I need to carry more stuff, I've got a rucksack.
If you need a good quality compact bag for carrying minimal kit, this is the bag for you.

Canon EF 100 mm F 2.8 L Macro IS USM Lens - Black
Canon EF 100 mm F 2.8 L Macro IS USM Lens - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal lens, 1 Sept. 2011
This is my first L-series purchase and I almost can't believe how good this lens is. Why have I been wasting my time with non-L series lenses up to now? As a keen amateur, I thought that decent quality lenses were good enough. Not anymore!

Wide open the depth of field is so thin that subjects can drift in and out of focus when hand held. I've found that this lens needs to be mounted on a tripod to be really accurate with DOF. Bokeh is somewhere between buttery smooth and gorgeous (reason enough to buy this lens).

On a cropped sensor this isn't exactly a walk-around lens (160mm focal length) but you can get some nice shots nevertheless. Given the choice, I'd much rather take shots with this lens just because it's a prime lens. Images are incredibly sharp throughout the aperture range and it really shows when compared to zoom lenses.

I can't stress enough just how impressive this lens is. For just over £700, this lens is fantastic value for money. I love it.

Canon EF - Zoom lens - 28 mm - 135 mm - f/3.5-5.6 IS USM - Canon EF
Canon EF - Zoom lens - 28 mm - 135 mm - f/3.5-5.6 IS USM - Canon EF

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price, 23 Aug. 2011
I own the (lovely) EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens so the focal length of this lens pretty much takes over where the other finishes.
This is fairly well built, although there is some play in the zoom when extended and zoom creep.
I have taken some really nice shots with this lens and like it as a general purpose walkaround.
This lens is not all that heavy for it's size due to its plastic construction and I can happily mooch about with it round my neck for extended periods.
I like the image stabilisation and the full time manual focus. This lens isn't brilliant in low light - the aperture is too small for it to be great.
You can see the 6 aperture blades in the out of focus highlights - look out for hexagons in your bokeh.
Do get yourself the Canon lens hood (Canon EW-78B2) and a good quality UV filter. I have both the Hoya Pro-1D UV and polarising filters which work really well. I've even taken usable shots of fish in rivers using the polarising filter.
Don't expect a pro quality lens at this price.

I've also noticed that my 100mm macro lens gets me closer in to distant subjects than the 135mm zoom on this lens.

Canon EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens
Canon EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality piece of kit, 2 Jun. 2011
I bought this lens in April 2011 and it is now my favourite lens.
10-22 equates to 16-35mm for a full frame camera.
Image quality is sharp, autofocussing is fast and quiet. I also like the way you can over-ride the autofocus with the full time manual control.
The L-series 16-35mm lens has a constant f/2.8 (it's also twice the price), whereas the best you get from this lens is f/3.5. It hasn't bothered me much but I can see how a wider aperture would be useful in low light.
If you want a narrow depth of field and lovely bokeh, then maybe this isn't the lens for you. At this focal length, depth of field tends to be fairly deep - ideal for landscapes.
The lens looks big on my 550D (massive when compared to the 18-55 kit lens) but it has a nice balance and is not too heavy.
There are 3 really impressive Canon EF-S lenses and this is one of them. The others being Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM and Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.
I bought a standard circular polarising filter (77 mm) but now wish I'd spent the extra and bought a thinner Hoya Pro 1 filter. The reason being that I get dark patches in the corners of images (vignetting) at the 10mm end wide open or close to it.
My only slight quibble is that it would be nice to have image stabilisation. If you are taking landscapes you're probably using a tripod anyway so it won't bother you.
Overall this is a brilliant lens for amateur photographers and all but an L-series without the weight.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Mar. 2011
The best thing I can say about this card is that I don't ever have to think about it because I know it can cope.
I own a Canon 550D and filming video at 60 fps with a 1/4000 shutter speed, the card bashes out movie after movie.
There's no problem shooting fast frames rates with still photos either.
I like this card so much that I purchased two (2 of these being cheaper than one 16GB card).

Callous Disregard: Autism and Vaccines: The Truth Behind a Tragedy
Callous Disregard: Autism and Vaccines: The Truth Behind a Tragedy
by Andrew J. Wakefield

5.0 out of 5 stars Negative Eugenics, 10 Sept. 2010
When I did a Google search for Andrew Wakefield, the first thing that popped up is Wackypedia. That should tell you all you need to know about this lop-sided debate.

Andrew Wakefield has been greatly wronged by the BMA and a British government.
The British government assumed all liability for the the MMR vaccine, allowing the vaccine manufacturer to operate risk-free. This means that the British government WILL NEVER admit that there is a problem.

Like the soldiers who were gassed to death by the British army in chemical weapons tests, the growing number of vaccine damaged children will be pushed aside and their parents labelled crazy by Doctors with God-complexes. Most GPs read medical literature unaware of the massive conflict of interests between the drugs companies and the so-called independent researchers doing the trials.

I will not vaccinate my children and I will never again allow myself to be given any vaccination of any kind.
I do not wish my children to be given a mini-labotomy thanks very much.

Australia recently banned the H1N1 flu shots for under-5s because of seizures caused by the vaccine.

This is Eugenics and you are being targeted. Don't believe anyone (especially the mainstream media), research vaccines for yourself.

UPDATE: Since reading this book I have discovered that the Yellow Fever vaccine contains leukemia virus and Polio contains SV40 simian cancer virus. The HPV vaccine contains the naked DNA of genetically modified cancer virus which can actually enter human cells. Vaccines are not tested for the types of viruses that they contain. The inventor of the MMR vaccine, Dr Maurice Hilleman called vaccines "the bargain basement" of medicine.

The Fluoride Deception
The Fluoride Deception
by Christopher Bryson

5.0 out of 5 stars Rat Poison in your toothpaste, 26 Dec. 2008
This review is from: The Fluoride Deception (Hardcover)
Sodium Fluoride is a deadly toxin. It is used in rat poison, pesticides and toothpaste.
This is pretty much the untold story of how an enzyme disrupter came to be in your toothpaste.
Sodium fluoride attacks every major organ in the body, including the thyroid, the petuitary gland in the brain, it weakens your teeth and bones, causes cancer and disrupts enzyme activity meaning that it attacks every living cell in your body.
I haven't used fluoride toothpaste since reading this book.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2017 8:18 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2