Profile for Wales > Reviews

Wales "552" (Wales)

Back to Steel
Back to Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Recommended., 25 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Back to Steel (Audio CD)
Another superb CD from Martin Barre. Plenty of barnstorming tracks but also enough variety for the listener to get their breath back. Highlights include the opening track, Back to Steel and also Moment of Madness, which, a few years ago could have been a 'hit single'. It certainly should get some radio play. For Tull fans there are two tracks but to be honest I thought Skating Away was the weakest track on the CD. It didn't seem to me to add anything. In contrast Slow Marching Band works really well, closing the CD. My preference is for instrumentals and I would urge Martin to be careful of the balance between songs and instrumentals. For me Eleanor Rigby works better on this CD than it did live. For Martin Barre fans this is a 'must' and it's just great that he is happy past-Tull. Indeed it may be seen that the end of Tull was something for which we should be thankful if the result are CDs such as this. Stage Left is still my favourite but this is a worthy companion.

Benefit (Collector's Edition)
Benefit (Collector's Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Jan. 2014
One of JT's best LPs, the real treat here is to hear a great balance between IA and the brilliant Martin Barre whose guitar-work is sublime. Recommended for newcomers and hardened JT fans alike.

Away With Words
Away With Words

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Away With Words (Audio CD)
This is without doubt an excellent CD. I think it would have been improved by mixing in a few heavier pieces. The light and heavy contrasts were a hallmark of early Tull and for that reason I think Stage Left better. The reinterpretation of Tull classics are good, but it is more exciting to look forward to a collection of new compositions. Martin is a superb and I look forward to his next CD.

Pictures of an Exhibitionist
Pictures of an Exhibitionist
by Keith Emerson

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy read, 6 Aug. 2012
I enjoyed ths book. It's an easy read and an interesting story. There's a lot missed out but then I guess in such an eventful life it would have been difficult to know what to include and what to leave out. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as critical of Greg Lake as I had feared. My only complaint, and I'm showing my age here, is that he doesn't take the opportunity to express sufficient regret for the drug-taking and womanising. I would have liked to think that his athletic playing was down to talent, not drugs. If he were an athlete, he would have rightly been banned.

Fail Better!: Stumbling to Success in Sales & Marketing - 25 Remarkable Renegades Show How
by Stephen Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 14 Mar. 2008
This entertaining book is written in, how shall I put it, a contemporary style? The opening chapters make some interesting points but then he labours the point with copious examples. The author doth protest too much, methinks. The concluding synthesis seems hurried in comparison. So what is the conclusion? The new marketing rule is that there are no rules? To be successful you must be arrogant, often born with a silver spoon in your mouth, have dogged determination and power mad? Is this book about leadership rather than marketing? Not the touchy-feely leadership of Investors in People but the ball-breaking leadership of those who get things done, come what may. At the end of it all, you have to come back to the conclusion that what this group have in common is that they had something people wanted to buy. When they failed it was because people didn't want the product. What an insight.

Stage Left
Stage Left
Offered by Smaller World Future

5.0 out of 5 stars The sublime and under-rated Martin Barre, 24 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Stage Left (Audio CD)
I suppose that many might say "if you like Jethro Tull then this CD is for you" and whilst that is entirely true this CD deserves attention in its own right. It's fascinating to hear how the different makes of guitar vary, and the sleeve helpfully tells you which guitar was used on each track. For me the highlights are a couple of acoustic tracks. I have never heard better. When Martine Barre and his band played as a 'support' for Jethro Tull in Cardiff, the highlight of the evening was the Martin Barre Band (with Willy Porter). It was a virtuoso performance playing the tracks on this CD with precision and yet with the excitement of a live perfomance. I cannot praise this CD too much.