Profile for DC > Reviews

Content by DC

DC "DC"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Aftershokz Sportz Titanium Bone Conduction Headphones with Microphone (Ocean Blue/Black)
Offered by Planet Gizmo

5.0 out of 5 stars They do work, 23 Jun. 2017
Firstly, I bought these as a present but I have tried them out a several times. The star rating will depend on the purpose you intend the for. Put simply, as a straight replacement for normal in, on or over ear headphones of a similar price.. forget it. For using when you should be aware of your surroundings.. fabulous.The result is you can listen to music and still here traffic etc. Initially they will feel a bit odd, but you get used to the sensation quite quickly.

Pros
- Comfortable
- Work remarkably well (if you understand their intended purpose)
- Battery life is acceptable
- You can hear your surroundings, whilst listening to music

Cons
- Quite expensive in comparison to traditional headphones of similar quality
- Sound does leak in quiet surroundings

As you will have gathered these bone conducting headphones sit on your cheeks just in front of the ears. Sound is conducted through the bone. This means your ears are free from being blocked and you can hear your surroundings.

These were bought for someone who insists on cycling with one earphone in. I was not terribly happy about this and would rather that no headphones were used. However, these are a compromise and as such do a good job. Oh! And the person I bought them for thinks they are amazing.

Not recommended as a headphone replacement (about 2 star level). highly recommended if you must listen to music, whilst cycling or jogging on the streets (5 stars).

Etekcity Digital Kitchen Food Scale, Electronic Stainless Steel Weighing Cooking Scales with 30% Larger Platform & Backlight Display, 11lb/5kg, Ultra Slim Design, Silver
Offered by Etekcity Corporation

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Jun. 2017
Very decent scales. I have had them for a few months and they get regular usage.

Pros
- Large platter
- Quite slim and easy to store
- Good sized display
- Can measure in increments (for adding ingredients)
- Can measure negative weight should you need to remove something
- Can switch measurement scales mid-session
- Takes standard AAA batteries, which most people have lying around
- Inexpensive

Cons
- Nothing I can think of

Lodge Grill Pan Scrapers, Set of 2
Lodge Grill Pan Scrapers, Set of 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine but quite expensive, 14 Jun. 2017
Bought primarily to clean my lodge cast iron grill. This they do quite well. I also use them on other cast iron pans and also a George Foreman grill.

The notched sides have different tooth sizes so there is a chance you will find one which works for you. The smooth sides work well for pans and to be fair anything than needs a bit of a scrape. Normally I use them to scrape off the worst of the residue and the use a stiff brush to to the rest. Since they are plastic don't use them when the pan is too hot,

At the end of the day they are two (because you get two) small-ish bits of fairly expensive plastic. They do the job well enough but I think moulded plastic should be a bit cheaper.

Italian Espresso Stove Top Coffee Maker Pot 6 Cup purple
Italian Espresso Stove Top Coffee Maker Pot 6 Cup purple
Offered by Innova Brands Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Reaches expections, 12 Jun. 2017
I bought this, really just as an experiment. I have a filter machine, which whilrl it sort of works, I have become somewhat disillusioned by. Also I needed something that would make lattes and cappuccinos, which a filter machine is not good at. For the princely sum of £7, I thought, I'd give this a go, perhaps with a view of buying a better model, if it worked. In short my expectations were not great.

Pros
- It's cheap
- It's purple (my other half likes purple)
- It is simple to use
- It makes coffee that is a bit more robust than the filter machine I have
- Sits reasonably well on out small gas ring. A bit more stable than I had feared

Cons
- Lightweight
- Leaks a bit round the join. It could be me being incompetent but...
- I know about the cup measurement for espresso type coffee but it is still small
- Coffee is not espresso (it's percolated, rather than pumped)

To be fair, I knew I needed a proper machine with a pump for proper espresso, so I haven't marked it down for this reason. I pretty much get the coffee, I expected. It is relatively simple to use and quite quick to brew a reasonable cup, so at the end of the day, I am happy with what I got. I don't feel ripped off and I will continue to use the device. However, I will be looking for a better device to stick on my Xmas list. If you want to try this style of coffee maker, then this does offer a cheap way in. Recommended for that reason.

GorillaPi Heatsink For Raspberry Pi 3 & Pi 2 Model B. 3Pc Set (x1 copper x2 aluminium) With Pre Installed Heatsink Adhesive Offering a Significant Cooling Advantage.
Offered by The Phoenix Project

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, 26 May 2017
Arrived very quickly and fitted them in no time at all. I have no figures for before and after temperatures but my impressions is they have made a worthwhile difference. In any case I would be unhappy running a Pi3 without some form of cooling. I don't plan to overclock so passive cooling works for me.

I would buy again.

Lodge 26.67 cm / 10.5 inch Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Round Griddle / Pancake Pan
Lodge 26.67 cm / 10.5 inch Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Round Griddle / Pancake Pan

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and useful pan, 19 May 2017
I have had one of these for a few years now and it is fantastic. I use it mainly for pancakes and frying duties that require minimal oil or sauce. The weight is good for general use and it is easy to store being fairly flat. Because it is designed for things such as pancakes it is not so good for recipes which require liquid. I have used mine for chops, sausages, burgers and eggs. It is great for drop scones.

Maintenance
Cast iron needs some TLC, but it is really not overly laborious. If you season properly then it will easily out live you and many generations of teflon coated pans. This is the bit the nay-sayers ignore. Failing to follow the care guidelines will cause the pan to rust or food to stick.

Lodge have clear instructions (also printed in the description here) as to how cast iron should be looked after. If you follow them, then you will have no problems with rust or food sticking.

When new, the pan may stick because you have not yet had time to build up the seasoning. Patience will be rewarded.

Queens Caravan Trail Penzance Crush Mug Fine China
Queens Caravan Trail Penzance Crush Mug Fine China

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy present choice for me, 18 May 2017
My partner loves these mugs (different styles). She likes the design and the fact that they can hold a "big" cup of tea. They are not exactly fine china but they do look good and are appreciated when I buy her one.

They are not ideal for dishwashers and we did have one crack. Besides I find putting team mugs in the dishwasher does not always get all the tea stains off the surface. Best thing for that are the white magic sponges, which work a treat.

Sonline AC 160-250V 1W B22 Socket White LED Bulb Energy Saving Lamp
Sonline AC 160-250V 1W B22 Socket White LED Bulb Energy Saving Lamp
Offered by Sonline-HK

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok but a bit blue, 26 April 2017
The brief I was given was to find a very low wattage bulb for a small bedside light. 3 watt led bulbs were apparently too bright. I hadn't realised that these came directly from China, given the very low price, which included postage. They, I ordered 2, turned up a couple of weeks later, which isn't too bad.

The bulb is indeed very dim with a distinct bluish tinge. (The packaging shows a red bulb, which caused a moment of panic on my part). Other than a comment about their blueness, they seem to have gone down well enough, so job done! One of these has been in use for a few weeks, so I cannot comment on durability.

+1.50 Bifocal Reading Sunglasses Tinted Sun Readers Gun Black Glasses Large Gradient Smoked Black Curved Lens Spring Temples Classic Retro Mens
Offered by I-SENTIAL

4.0 out of 5 stars Why did I not think of something like these before?, 26 April 2017
Having struggled for many years to read in bright sunlight, I discovered these. In a head slap moment I thought, why on earth did I not think of looking for something like this yonks ago!!

Since I only wear glasses to read and I have many pairs of varied styles, the clip on type never appealed to me. Dedicated reading sunglasses would mean I would have to carry ordinary ones for e.g. walking around.

For the purposes of reading in sunlight, these glasses work really well. Basically, they are a pair of sunglasses with stick on lenses for the reading strength, so they are not true bi-focal lenses. I have seen similar stick on lenses available separately, should you wish to customise a favoured pair of your own.

Pros
- Allows me to read in bright sunlight
- Comfortable to wear
- I adjusted to the bifocal view quite quickly after a very brief period of visual confusion
- The lenses are quite big which gives a good area of normal, distance view

Minor cons
- Since the lower part of the lenses are of reading strength, walking around is a tad awkward, since the ground is a bit fuzzy. This is not a design fault, however. It just means I need normal sunglasses, as well
- The supplied case is quite naff

If you like to read outside then these work well enough.

Mini DP to VGA, Splaks Gold Plated Thunderbolt Mini DisplayPort Display Port DP to VGA Male to Female Cable Adapter Converter For Macbook Air/Pro, Microsoft Surface Pro & Pro 2 3
Offered by Splaks-Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 26 April 2017
Bought to connect a laptop with a mini display port to a projector. Worked well and produced a stable picture. The item was inexpensive. Can't ask for much more.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12