Profile for Kim Hatton > Reviews

Content by Kim Hatton

Kim Hatton "Kim Hatton" (Nottingham)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Shop Girl
Shop Girl
by Mary Portas

2.0 out of 5 stars Mary Portas Queen of Slop., 27 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Shop Girl (Hardcover)
A terribly suburban tale which Portas tries to give significance to with a series of stock working class Catholic stories about her mother, her father and her siblings - all featured in the most boring vignettes which don't really move the story forward but just centre on Mary as the mature commentator of a singularly unexceptional childhood. Written, after an appearance on Desert Island Discs led her to enter therapy, this doesn't show whether it worked or just led her to try and make her dour family life more interesting. Along with her other media work on television the book is just one more example of an overweening self importance and narcissism.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2015 1:36 PM GMT

Maxell UR-90 Blank Audio Cassette Tape, 7 Pack
Maxell UR-90 Blank Audio Cassette Tape, 7 Pack
Offered by Synergy Data

5.0 out of 5 stars Good to see these are still available for the lovers ..., 18 Nov. 2014
Good to see these are still available for the lovers of compilation tapes - something which will become a lost art if these tapes stop production.

The Sixties (Big Ideas)
The Sixties (Big Ideas)
by Jenny Diski

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply it is a short but great overview of the decade and summons it up perfectly ..., 15 Nov. 2014
A short review of a book about a decade I lived through with Ms Diski. Quite simply it is a short but great overview of the decade and summons it up perfectly with its opening chapter on the birth of youth consumerism which was the mummy and daddy of Consumerist Culture for all ages through drugs and sex to radical politics and the question 'what now?' More of everything for the lucky few less and less of everything for the present majority. And 'Yes' she does see the cult and practise of Thatcherism as birthed in the sixties and considering how narcissistic the seventies and eighties were it follows we should find ourselves suffering the shock waves today.

The Complete Album Collection Vol. One
The Complete Album Collection Vol. One

3.0 out of 5 stars I might give it 3.5 if it were cheaper., 15 Nov. 2014
I would really like to give this collection 3.5 or 4 but I feel this is just a collection for newer fans and completists who will pay anything for the magical words 'Bob Dylan' endorsing a way to part them from their money. But in all honesty this complete collection - complete apart from the music on the bootleg series - is shabbily put together. Each CD is sqeeeeeezed into a miniscule 'Album Cover' a sleeve to you and me and nothing more to protect it and all 47 cds are then placed in a reinforced, cloth covered box bearing the 'iconic' [sic] picture of Bobby gazing out to the horizon. A closely bound book is used to make the albums fit the box and this is quite interesting though SO tightly bound that reading it will ruin it.

What about the remasters? You may well ask. Why do do we need any of them? I have to answer. Dylan's library has come in for its fair share of remastering and the results are negligible or make something worse half the time. [Self Portrait - squeezed onto one album - is way too bright. And why remaster when we have already long been given the best Dylan could offer of his early work in The Original Mono Collection - presented here back in stereo. Why don't CBS/Sony offer something approaching the care and concern with detail that EMI lavish upon The Beatles? The punter need not even be charged that much more - the real money is made - well on every bit of Dylan merchandise but especially on his Collector's Editions of The Bootleg Series.

So. If I feel all this why did I buy it? Primarily because I had whittled down my collection of Dylan first in selling my original collection of vinyl and then in whittling down my Dylan collection to the 'really good' albums on CD, which ruled out everything in the eighties and hung a question mark over his post TOOM releases. It was easier to buy duplicates of items and fill the gaps simultaneously than buy each ex album afresh.

I wanted to solve a basic problem. I bought a basic collection.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2015 8:38 PM GMT

Carlos Serres Rioja Wine Twin Gift Set
Carlos Serres Rioja Wine Twin Gift Set
Offered by Le Bon Vin Wines

5.0 out of 5 stars 00 per bottle they tasted more like some bottles she has paid £20+ for and she ..., 4 Nov. 2014
I bought this as a Christmas gift for my partner and so had a chance to share it with her. Both red wines came out as 5*. for £13.00 per bottle they tasted more like some bottles we have paid £20+ for and she said that the chocolates were delicious. All in all a good purchase for someone who asked for 'no more stuff'. I think a lot of people will agree with her sentiments in this season of over-indulgence.

Iliad, Odyssey, and Aeneid Box Set
Iliad, Odyssey, and Aeneid Box Set
by Virgil

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best edition of the Homer and Virgil on the market ..., 24 Sept. 2014
This is the best edition of the Homer and Virgil on the market and the verse rendered by Fagles with and introduction by Knox full of details about who Homer was [or might have been]and Virgil as well as how the books were composed are a worthwhile edition. The editions themselves are beautifully bound and very durable and the pages are deckle cut which harks back to old leather bound editions. A must for readers and students and the price works out at less than £9.33 a book.

Omron HJ-112 Premium Digital Pedometer
Omron HJ-112 Premium Digital Pedometer
Offered by Wholesale UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice to have a pedometer that records your steps in miles, 10 Sept. 2013
First of all I'd say that Omron are the only choice in pedometers for accuracy. I bought this model, like so many people when the one I had fell of my belt running for a bus. The only way I could replace the same model was to buy from a third party seller with bad feedback so I opted for this model because, while it doesn't look so cool, records steps in miles. It also records calories and fat burnt off. I keep it in my pocket and it is every bit as accurate as the model it replaced. One negative comment. This model, unlike the former, does not go into sleep mode so battery life is shortened.

Bridgedale Coolfusion Light Hiker Men's Sock
Bridgedale Coolfusion Light Hiker Men's Sock
Price: £11.19 - £15.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Walking On Air, 8 Sept. 2013
I recently bought a pair of Karimor Bodmin Hiking shoes which were a good fit, apart from allowing my heel to slip slightly on steep gradients. I'd already bought two pairs of Bridgedale Coolfusion for the coming winter when shoes will be exchanged for boots as the weather worsens. However it seemed a good reason to try them out in my hikers to see if they would deal with the heel fit. They did more than that. The extra padding on heel and sole not only made my shoes feel snug and stopped the slipping but gave so much extra support to my feet that I turned a four mile hike into a seven mile hike. Although I already have two pairs I've ordered two more and at Amazon prices I really can't go wrong as my local hiking outfitters sell these for £15.99 a pair.

Karrimor Mens Bodmin Low lll Weathertite Trekking and Hiking Shoes K606-BLC-151 Black Sea 7 UK, 41 EU, 8 US

5.0 out of 5 stars Better sizing than New Balance. A Great hiking shoe., 8 Sept. 2013
I have always depended on New Balance for trainers and walking shoes but the last NB hiking shoes I bought here were too narrow - something that I didn't become aware of until I was half way through a six mile hilly walk. Too late to return they are currently in my wardrobe with shoe stretchers in. I bought Karrimor Bodmin Weathertite as an alternative and am completely satisfied. I've completed a 4 mile hike in them and they are roomy with a good grip. So roomy in fact that they are best with a pair of hiking socks. I shall definitely buy the same shoe again when these begin to show signs of wear. They are waterproof too as I proved by trekking through some deep puddles. No penetration at all though the water came up over the toes. While I shall continue to buy New Balance trainers for Summer use Karrimor have my vote for hiking shoes.

New Balance Men's Brown/Orange Hiking Shoe MO1521GT 7 UK, 40.5 EU, 7.5 US
New Balance Men's Brown/Orange Hiking Shoe MO1521GT 7 UK, 40.5 EU, 7.5 US
Offered by Runmarkt

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Narrow, 5 Sept. 2013
I've always bought New Balance trainers and found them a perfect fit but these hiking shoes are too narrow and pinch at the toes. Unfortunately this is something that is felt in the middle of a 5 mile walk and not trying them out indoors for a couple of hours so by the time you discover the fault it's too late to return them. I'm currently trying to 'break them in' something I've never had to do with a trainer, hiking shoe or boot. I've also bought a pair of Karimor Watertite hiking shoes which are spot on in size and truly comfortable for miles of any type of walking.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10