Profile for Rangerdave > Reviews

Content by Rangerdave

Rangerdave (UK)

ATN X-Sight HD 3-12x (Smart HD Optics Day/Night Riflescope)
ATN X-Sight HD 3-12x (Smart HD Optics Day/Night Riflescope)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, wish I had something like this years ago!, 16 Dec. 2015
I've been in the shooting game all my life, and night vision optics have always been a high end product out of reach of most, but over the last few years the tech and prices have become more available and I've even made a few DIY NV units myself.
When I first heard about the X-Sight I became very intrigued (just as you are if your reading this!) but nothing compares with actual hands on experience, and I hope I can dispel a few myths surrounding this product in this honest review!
First things first, this is not a scope in the normal sense, think of it more as a digital camera, that works in both day and night, with an operating system and menu, just like your average camera.
As with any new system there is a learning curve, but it is very intuitive and easy to navigate, and works like a charm with the latest firmware update (343) with others on the way I'm told.
There are 2 focus adjusters, the front does the picture and is a little stiff, so something like a Breakaway Coasters pack of two really helps, the rear (nearest the eyepiece) does the reticle (which once set should not need moving again)
It needs power to work, good quality rechargable AA's internally or an external powerpack like the [Most Compact 20000mAh Portable Charger] Anker PowerCore 20100 - Ultra High Capacity Power Bank with Most Powerful 4.8A Output, PowerIQ Technology for iPhone,iPad and Samsung Galaxy and More (Black) which is what I prefer to use, as I can keep it on without fear of it running out, especially as I like to record the action.
You will also need a decent Class 10 micro SD card, that will make sure there are no hiccups during recording in full HD, and have to say I am impressed with the quality, especially in night mode, so long as you don't overdo the zoom, as this is digital after all!
I would also recommend checking out the X-Sight Owners page on FB, there is a wealth of info, videos and workarounds to any problems, by lots of guys who have been using these since their introduction, plus the customer care is great also!
I have several videos there of some rat shooting I've been doing with mine, and it's been great fun, especially reviewing the nights action when we get home!
Your probably thinking, would I buy another one?............well...........I have, a 5-18 for my .223.

Genuine Vintage German Military Flecktarn Shirt / Lightweight Jacket (L)
Genuine Vintage German Military Flecktarn Shirt / Lightweight Jacket (L)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice shirt, 28 April 2015
I'm a long medium so ordered the large after reading other reviews on sizes coming up short, and it is a good fit but would probably go one bigger if ordering again. It's a good quality shirt which should last a fair while, and is a simple job to remove the German flag and velcro arm patches if not needed. There is a half zip up the front under the pop stud flap which isn't shown in the description, unsure if it's necessary, but thought I'd mention it for other possible buyers!
I did ask the seller if they would combine postage if I included the peak cap in the order, but they wouldn't budge saying it goes on weight (????) even so, at this price you can't grumble.
Overall, satisfied customer and would probably buy again! :)

Fujifilm FinePix F550 Digital Camera - Black (16MP, 15x Optical Zoom) 3-inch LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but getting close!, 16 July 2011
Have had my F550exr now just over 3 months and loving it!
After hearing all the problems people were having with GPS and batteries soon after release, I have to say I was a little concerned and disappointed, but then a few firmware updates were issued which sorted most of them out and some people started to make it shine!

I was looking for a back-up cam to my HS10 for travelling, the 15x lens, multitude of modes (both manual and auto) Raw if needed, macro and with GPS in a very compact form seemed the ideal partner, especially when carrying the larger bridge (or dSLR) for evenings out, would be out of the question for safety/practical reasons!

I have used the F550 in many types of situations, days out in London and Bristol, the Chelsea Flower Show, a Paul Simon concert, nature walks and a short holiday to Portugal, and it proved up to the task in most cases (long distant animals and birds really needs the extra reach of the HS10)
Some of the results can be seen on my blog; [...] and dpreview's Fujifilm forum.

There is a slight learning curve to master and a few settings that I found helped a lot, first, this is not really a 16mp camera, much better results can be had when in the M mode (8mp) as some here have already mentioned.
Secondly, try and get out of the Auto modes, they are fine for the odd quick shot, but the manual modes really start to make the images stand out from the crowd. I like the Vivid Film Simulation and Auto iso800 in P mode for most of my shots, and use the quickly adjusted -+EV to suit each scene when needed.
The digital zoom is more handy than could be expected, I was quite surprised at how good it is, even with hand help shots, on screen it says it goes to 62x equivalent, and although IQ suffers as would be expected, when used sensibly, it's a very handy tool to have!

GPS is another great tool, and I know some found that it will not often get a fix or work at all, having had similar problems with my Smartphone, I knew only too well that I might have trouble too.
To start with, it took quite a while to get a fix, even with a clear sky above, but once it did, subsequent fixes were faster and more accurate. Leaving all 3 GPS modes turned on, drains the battery quicker than you can say "Fuji Finepix", so I set them to "on" only when needed.
In Portugal, fixes were delivered after a minute or so, and with destination info of place, area, country etc., but if you switch the camera off, drive 10-20 miles, switch back on and take a quick snap before the following fix is made, it will embed the same info from the last point!
In other words, a certain amount of patients is needed!

As with every camera ever made, there are some compromises to be made, and given the currant crop of superzoom compact travel cams there are at the moment, I think this little Fuji makes the top 2, the Sony HX9V being the other, it does not have Raw, but the HD video is better by all accounts (Sony are renowned for that) so it's down to personal preference which one you go for!

The recent price drop makes this a super bargain, and I am constantly amazed at how much is crammed inside such a small and fun package. I have added a brilliant little accessory too, the Flipbac 3" Angle Viewfinder and LCD Screen Protector, great for macro's and those arty compositions!
As you can probably tell, I'm very happy with my purchase, so much so, I even left my trusty HS10 at home for the Portugal trip.......enough said! :-)

Velbon Ultra Stick L50 Aluminium Monopod
Velbon Ultra Stick L50 Aluminium Monopod
Offered by Picsio

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultra slick stick!, 8 May 2010
I have been looking for a lightweight and compact monopod for some time now, well, ever since I got my new Fuji HS10 that is! I needed some sort of support at the longer end of the cameras zoom lens (30x), that was easy to carry on trips, and could store in my backpack, I was contemplating a tripod, but when I came across the Velbon Slick L 50LX, with it's very sleek design and twist locking mechanism, it looked like the perfect one for me!
When it arrived, I was not disappointed, well made with comfortable grip, and a quick single twist of the rubber foot, extend to the length needed, and another twist to lock, simple! (I say single twist, which it is, but there are 4 moments of resistance, one for each section of the leg, same for tightening up!)
My main concern was usable height with the Manfrotto Monopod Head Quick Release attached, as I'm 6'1", but fully extended it places the camera at a perfect height to my eye for using the EVF (viewfinder).
The twist locking action is the killer feature for me, with no multiple levers sticking out that sometimes slip when locked, the clever cross section works very well and keeps the package looking sleek and slender!
I am looking forward to trying it out in anger next week on the wildlife of the Outer Hebrides, and will update here with my findings!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Treat your feet!, 25 Jun. 2009
As others have said here, "comfort straight from the box", and they stay that way for as long as they last!
Have been wearing these almost every day for about 6 years now, and have the Merrell Kahuna Sandals when it gets really hot or for the beach.
They have been around the world with me, up and down mountains, through jungles, deserts, and many hundreds of miles of hiking, and not a single blister!
In my top ten list of must have travel kit!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Sandals for the adventurous!, 25 Jun. 2009
I have been wearing these for over 5 years now, the first pair for 3, as I broke one of the plastic buckles whacking them together to knock wet sand off of them, and Merrell replaced them for a new pair free of charge!
They are extremely comfortable, and quite at home on the beach or on the trail, even climbed a few mountains when its just to hot for boots!
Highly recommended!

Targus TCB001EU Atmosphere XL Laptop Computer Backpack fits 17 - 18 inch laptops, Black/Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars My search is over!, 31 Mar. 2009
I had been searching far & wide for a padded backpack for my huge HP HDX18, which is roughly 44cm x 29cm x 5cm, & was a bit dubious whether this would be big enough! I needn't have worried, there is plenty of room, although the top edge of the laptop protrudes about 3cm above the inside padding, the zipped part covers it with ease, so I am more than happy!
There are plenty of other pockets for all the added extras etc., & it feels comfortable on the shoulder, even with a heavy beast like the HP.
I only have one problem, now I have a perfectly good, but redundant TecAir 15" backpack collecting dust!!

SONY DR-BT22 BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES
SONY DR-BT22 BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice product, shame about the sound!!, 9 Jan. 2009
Bought these after a long search to go wireless!, having had to replace my laptop over Xmas (old one died!), I came to the conclusion that bluetooth was the way to go, giving me a hands free unit for listening to my tunes from my PC & taking incoming calls from my mobile! I've been a long time fan on Sennheisers PXC 250's, but the wires & noise cancelling/battery unit was driving me mad! On paper, the Sony DR-BT22's look ideal, lightweight & compact (great for travelling), but after a few teething problems & re-installing a few times before my new HP Vista laptop connected to them, the sound produced was "to put it mildly" awful!! Maybe I'm doing something wrong, (please let me know if you think I am?), I've checked the A2DP settings, but to no avail, & to top it off, my Sony Ericsson 750i wont connect either! pity really, as they are well made & very comfortable, I'm sure not everyone will have the same problems as I, or I've just been spoilt with the Sennheisers, plus I've just heard there is a new Bluetooth standard on the horizon, one which transfers like for like, with no degradation, now put that in these headphones, & I will be a happy man!!
Update!
A techi friend tried to get them to work with my mobile recently, still no joy, but they did work great with his nokia, even the sound was great, so there must be some compatibility issues here somewhere!! Will keep trying!! :-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2010 5:15 PM GMT