Profile for Music Lover. > Reviews

The Omega Factor - The Complete Series [DVD]
The Omega Factor - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Hazeldine

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting series., 17 May 2008
I never saw this before until I purchased the dvd recently. Very interesting, even more so for seeing the combination of Louise Jameson AKA Leela from Doctor Who, teamed up with what to me is a Tom Baker lookalike, and the fact that his name in this series is _Tom_, seemed kind of funny. Rather like watching an alternative version of Dr Who and Leela, ok, it was maybe mainly the character Tom Crane's hair that made me think of Tom Baker, but I can't believe I'm the only one to have noticed a similarity, and maybe it's just me, but I think the similarity is more than just his hair, his face too bore a look of Tom Baker to a certain degree. Anyhow, that bit of trivia out of the way, I really enjoyed the series for the story too, very thought provoking with it's tales of mind control and secret organisations and not knowing who to trust. A shame they never made another series. Apparently another one looked likely, but the rumour is that Mary Whitehouse and her listener's association complained, (she did the same with Doctor Who, "The Deadly Assassin" story mainly, maybe she had an aversion to curly haired men! Or Tom Baker and any lookalike! LOL) and the series had loose ends that would maybe have been dealt with in a second series. How Mary Whitehouse came to have so much sway over what got shown on tv, is anyone's guess, but Doctor Who had to be 'toned down' on her say so, cuz the makers got fed up with her complaining about it. Nice to see these much loved series getting dvd releases now, this one, along with the Saphire and Steel series, and the complete set of "Timeslip", and now the Armchair Thrillers being put out on dvd too, have been well worth waiting for and praise be to whoever is responsible for them seeing the light of day now.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2010 9:28 PM BST

Wearing My Rolex [2 Track CD]
Wearing My Rolex [2 Track CD]
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Great track, but you're better off with the CD2 version of it., 13 May 2008
On this CD1 version, you only get two mixes, but on the CD2 version you get the original radio edit plus four other mixes, (which are all good) plus the video of it as well, which is quite 'foxy', (if you've seen it, you'll know why I say that! LOL) so the reason I'm only giving three stars for this is not for the track, but for the CD1 version, the CD2 gets five stars.

The Last Winter [2006] [DVD]
The Last Winter [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ron Perlman
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking!, 13 May 2008
This review is from: The Last Winter [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
Well directed, brilliantly acted and filmed. Basically it seemed to be
about the earth fighting back, maybe trying to shake off the humans
responsible for seemingly devastating it. Very sad in this respect, but
a movie that needs to be seen, hopefully to get people thinking about
their impact as a collective mass that everyone is having on this poor
planet we call home, often to the detriment of all other forms of life
which have suffered terribly in one way or another, and I think this is
what was being shown in the film, and the spirit of the earth and it's misplaced creatures rising up conveyed this message very well, though not in such detail as to spoil the mysterious effect but in ghostly ways that were just right, not too little and not too much, but just enough to get the message home to what it was really all about. Maybe the director had a different vision to what I am interpreting from what I have seen in it, but this is how it came across to me.
Also a very beautiful film to look at in it's pristine whiteness of wilderness.

Cold Prey [DVD]
Cold Prey [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ingrid Bolso Berdal
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior slasher pic., 10 May 2008
This review is from: Cold Prey [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this back to back with "Frostbite", so had a fine old time with the subtitles of both movies! Funny thing is, when remembering the movies afterwards, one tends to forget about the subtitles, in fact I enjoyed this one so much, I have to keep reminding myself that it really did have subs.
It kept me absorbed throughout, rare for any movie, certainly so for one of this type. It may seem like you're going to get the typical format slasher movie, where group of youngish people, (not exactly teens I didn't think) get stranded in abandoned house, even better that in this movie, it's an abandoned ski motel place on a snow covered mountain! Great. And no silly humour to annoy me when it crops up in silly places, (ok, "Frostbite" had humour, but at least it was reasonably clever humour, but I'm not reviewing that one, but I did enjoy it too, but not as much as this one) unusual also, that in "Cold Prey" one could really care about the characters and want them to get away, unlike in some of these movies where you don't care one way or the other and might even sympathise with the killer. In this movie, you don't really get the chance as the motives are not clear, but anyhow I shan't go into details of anything more cuz don't want to risk spoilers. The group of people who are stranded are one reasonably pretty blonde girl and a plainer girl and three guys, one a bit macho and the worst looking one of the lot, not my type at all, one who got injured and was quite cute and then there was the boyfriend of the blonde girl, and he was quite cute too, but sadly none of them exceptionally cute, (it may sound unimportant, but people do like to see pretty people in movies, whether they admit to it or not!) but at least they weren't silly macho stereotypes which spoils things when uninspiring one dimensional characters are trotted out, at least these all seemed to have proper well rounded personalities and as I already mentioned, you could care what happened to them and root for them and be dismayed when they were in danger. Very original for this type of movie and no-one should be put off by the subtitles, if you are, then you're probably better off watching rubbish like the "Scream" movies instead.

Jacintha Is Her Name
Jacintha Is Her Name

5.0 out of 5 stars Very relaxing mood music for lazy nights., 7 May 2008
This review is from: Jacintha Is Her Name (Audio CD)
She has a great voice, lazy and mellow and smoky sultry, just right for this kind of laid-back late-night-listening music. I don't know why she doesn't appear to be wellknown in the UK, I must check out her other albums, if they are anything like as good as this one, then it will be money well spent.

Madame X
Madame X
Offered by trec002

4.0 out of 5 stars Should have had more songs., 7 May 2008
This review is from: Madame X (Audio CD)
I enjoyed this, especially Mad Monster Party and Paris Adult World and Love for Free, but just wish there had been more tracks on the cd. I haven't been able to find anything else by Madame X, apart from some trance and dance tracks put out around 1995, but as this is a completely different type of music to teckno and trance, which the "Move Your Body" track by Madame X is listed as being, then it's probably by different people, though I may well enjoy that too if I heard it, having very eclectic tastes. ;-)
Anyway, I'd love to hear more from this Madame X too, as I very much enjoy sinful sounding torch songs and this has that and more!
Only four stars cuz of not enough tracks.

Scarecrows [DVD] [1988] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Scarecrows [DVD] [1988] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars This is lovely!, 6 May 2008
A real, good, absorbing, creepy horror movie. Just the way I like them!
No silly attempts at injecting humour into it, which ruins so many horror movies today, but loaded with menace and atmosphere, and so what if the story itself is a bit preposterous? (Spirits of three long dead people living on by inhabiting scarecrows) It works! And that is the main thing.
The main premise of the plot is a group of robbers hijack a small plane and force the pilot and his daughter and their dog, to fly them away, but one robber bales out with the money and they go after him, and that's where the real story begins. I like the way that it's not all explained away and resolved with a neat, but boring, ending. The ending is great and most satisfactory. A must-see for all those who like a more in-depth horror movie with no real clear cut distinction between goodies and baddies and not one favoured over the other by the spooky and unnatural forces at work.
When I first watched it years ago, it was on a very dark vhs tape recording, seeing it on dvd for the first time (I have the region one version) was a revelation.
Great to see some of these old much loved movies getting dvd releases now.

And Soon The Darkness [DVD]
And Soon The Darkness [DVD]
Dvd ~ Pamela Franklin

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant movie, misleadingly titled., 6 May 2008
This review is from: And Soon The Darkness [DVD] (DVD)
You don't get to see any darkness. But, a dark atmosphere is conveyed, even in bright sunlight in the middle of the day. Once the story gets off, a real sense of menace is felt. Very absorbing throughout. I knew who the killer was as I'd seen it on tv years ago, but that didn't spoil my enjoyment of this dvd. One that truly has deserved to see the light of day!

May not be 'got' by people who think a movie is rubbish unless it's got over the top special effects from start to finish and loudness and constant action, but this is one of those films that leads you in and keeps you enthralled by the suspense, rather than mesmerised by flashing lights and fast paced but ultimately empty 'action' with all substance and nothing else.

Girl With the Hungry Eyes [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Girl With the Hungry Eyes [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but they should have kept the longer version as the main one., 6 May 2008
There is the 'official' release of this on the dvd, which is the shorter edited version, which has far superior picture quality in that the colours are bright, whereas the longer, unedited version, also on the disc, has dull colours, but the shorter, official, release is spoilt by an annoying voice over, which really wasn't necessary, and seems only to be there to 'explain' more fully the story to what seems to be felt of as a dim American audience on the part of the makers. The longer version, which I saw first, is far, far superior in every way, apart from the dull colours, to the shortened version, so anyone seeing this should make sure to see the longer version first and see it how the director intended. It is based on the short story of the same name by Fritz Lieber, but in that 'the girl' remains nameless and an enigma, whereas in the movie, she is given a background supposedly explaining why she is the way she is, when the story works better without this, as she doesn't need an explanation, quite simply, she just - 'is'. And the written story conveys this very well. Never forget the last paragraph of the story where The Girl reveals her full intent, "I want that broken bike, I want your blood on the cobblestones, baby!" or whatever it was, she said. It said it all in that final paragraph. A brilliant story and one of the best I ever read when very very young indeed. ;-)

Armchair Thriller - Rachel In Danger [1978] [DVD]
Armchair Thriller - Rachel In Danger [1978] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stephen Greif
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting for the Thames testcard sequence., 6 May 2008
I remembered these mainly for the Thames tv trademark picture, made specially into a moonlit view of the Thames scene for this series, whereas the picture of the Thames was shown in bright daylight for all other programmes made by Thames tv. What is interesting especially about this story in the series is that watching now on dvd I find that the Thames picture is only shown in moonlight at the beginning of each episode and that at the end of each episode it reverts back to the usual daylight view. This is strange, as I didn't remember the first story having the daylit view of the Thames at all. And I see in the second story in the series, A Dog's Ransom, that the end view of the Thames tv testcard (or whatever they call it) is in fact in moonlight, so this must have been a decision made at the time to change the end Thames scene, which after all, makes sense, as it is more in keeping with the series anyway, and certainly more so at the end of each story than at the beginning. I only mention this as I always loved the moonlit view of the Thames and thought it was a nice original touch on the part of the makers to think to do this. And nice to see from a historical point of view too, of television from that time period.
That said, the spooky moonlit Thames view gave the impression that the series would have a mystical or haunted storyline, involving ghosts or hauntings or something otherwise supernatural, and this wasn't so, as each story was more along the crime lines of story telling, even the eerier-in-tone, and very effective, Quiet as a Nun, was, as I recall, explained away as being some criminal intent rather than supernatural, but then I guess they _are_ called Thrillers, and a lot of crime related stories are classed as thrillers.
Interesting too, that they are actually called Armchair Thrillers, when for some reason, I always thought they were called _Thames_ Thrillers and have always referred to them as such whenever mentioning them to anyone, but I guess it was because I had focused so much on the moonlight Thames view that I thought of them as being entitled 'Thames Thrillers'! LOL.
Anyway, well worth seeing again and a welcome release. I remember Saphire and Steel replacing them and I have recently acquired the whole series of that too on region one, and I loved seeing that again too, though marginally preferred the Thames Thrillers, mainly for the Thames scene at moonlight, and mainly because I am sad enough to care about things like that, LOL.

I have given four stars instead of five, only because I really would have preferred a supernatural theme to the stories rather than something which was always explained away, but all in all, an extremely good series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12