Profile for Sarah > Reviews

Content by Sarah

Sarah (Brentwood, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
SimCity - Limited Edition (PC DVD)
SimCity - Limited Edition (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than ever, 9 Mar. 2013
I pre-ordered SimCity 2013 before all the Hoo-Ha about 'always online' and DRM had reached me, and then when I read all the press and fan bitching about that side of things, I wondered if I would regret it... I have to say, I dont regret it one bit.

The Game itself is fantastic. To ease my impatience last week I got out my ten year old copy of Simcity 4, and played for a while, and I have to say.... playing this new rebooted Simcity is a whole different experience, it is AWESOME.

And yes.... I have been playing it, and able to play it... It was delivered at 9 am (as promised by amazon) on the 8th March, but I was at work until mid afternoon, so I dashed home, broke a nail ripping off the shrink wrap, fed the disk with trembling fingers into my drive, and began to load through Origin as instructed. That took about ten minutes... then the loading screen came for EA and Maxis.... and a few updates and patches.

That didnt surprise me as I had read the press, and knew they had done a few tweaks to get things running more smoothly for the Americans, Australians and all the rest of the lucky world that got the game before we Johnny-come-lately lot in the UK got our hands on it. This turns out to have been a Good Thing, because after the ten minutes of patching I got into the game at first try.

A few times a little message came in on the top left saying the servers were down, but they always reconnected within about 3 -5 minutes, with no loss of function (you just keep playing) and then you get a message to say the server is reconnected.... no big deal, no effect on play. My first session lasted 5 hours...

Either I have been extremely lucky (which I doubt) or they have mostly fixed the problem. As I was playing on a friday afternoon, I wondered if, with americans mainly being asleep, or at work/school, perhaps my evening play would be disrupted.... well, No.... perhaps the message about servers offline came a little more frequently, but at no time was I disconnected, and at no time did I lose content or saved game. The servers synch through Origin when you quit the game, and my games were there and automatically accessible when I opened the game again.

So... Apart from being always online (which is of course a pain when you want to play in an aeroplane, my heart bleeds for all you frequent flyers out there who find this a major reason to tell us all not to buy this product), and the thought that EA will dump the cash cow when we still want to play it by closing the servers (like they are going to do that any time soon). I would of course like to have the option to play offline for another ten years.... like I did with SimCity 4... but I have to say, my copy of that was covered in dust and i had forgotten just how dated it was...

This game is superb... Dont be put off by all the folks who are throwing their toys out of the pram... Enjoy.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2013 5:45 PM GMT

Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000
Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000
Offered by Fuzion

4.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000, 1 Dec. 2012
A neat little camera which seems to be of good quality and reasonable price. Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive. Typically Microsoft.

Very easy to start up. No CD or drivers required, the camera does all its own set-up as soon as you plug it in to your USB.

One star deducted because the bendy clip behind the camera isnt too clever at adapting to all situations. Fortunately I have a printer on a shelf above my monitor, which is ideal to slide the rear bendy clip under, but if you are hoping it will sit on top of your flat screen monitor, it doesnt do this very well, you will need a lump of blu-tak or some sticky tape.

Overall I am content with this purchase.

I would give 5 stars to the delivery process, however. I received an email in the early morning saying the package would be delivered between 10.58 and 11.58 am. The driver arrived at around 11.30. Really helpful useful addition to the service. Well done. Wish all suppliers did this.

Kenwood Stand Mixer KMC010 Chef Titanium, Silver
Kenwood Stand Mixer KMC010 Chef Titanium, Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Kenwood KMC010 Chef Titanium, Brushed Metal, 27 Oct. 2012
Edit 24 January 2013
Since Writing this review,the item description has been updated, and now tells what is in the box, and mentions the food processor and blender. However, at the time of my purchase it did not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to clarify which machine I purchased before going on to write my review, because I was confused, and the differences are misleading and not well documented here on Amazon. If you are thinking about buying this machine, there are things you need to look at... Bear with me on this.

This is the machine I purchased...

Kenwood KMC010 Chef Titanium, Brushed Metal

The prices was £379.99. Date 26 October 2012. (I know Amazon will delete this and put three little dots but at the time of writing it is £50 LESS than the other one I was contemplating...)

Kenwood Chef Titanium KM010 4.6 Litre Kitchen Machine

KM010 came complete with Food Processor attachment, and liquidiser and was £50 more...
KMC010 - £50 less, says it is a newer version of the above, but same power and appearance but just said that Blender and food processor were available as new attachments. AND it listed those attachments with totally wrong part numbers, that dont exist on the Kenwood Website : [...]

Even the Kenwood website doesn't list them in their "what's in the box" tab for the KMC010 and

This is what the Kenwood FAQ said about the Chef and Major:
"Q: Can I get a Food Processor for my Chef / Major so I don't need two separate machines?
A: Yes, but it's only available for the KM010, KM020 and KM023 models. For all other models the liquidiser, mincer and slicer and shredder will carry out some of the functions of a food processor."

Imagine my surprise therefore.... and DELIGHT when my KMC010 arrived with both food processor attachment and liquidizer!! I am very pleased, since after ordering I had grave concerns that I had made a mistake I would regret.

OK, that out of the way..

This is a really solid machine, its heavy so you won't want to be moving it in and out of a cupboard, really you won't. Make space on your worktop. Its very beautiful and sleek and I can't bring myself to cover it up with one of those square covers, so at the moment it's just draped in the plastic bag that wrapped it in the box. Oh, and while we are talking about the box... my goodness, its a big box. The delivery man said "I'm glad you were in, I was not looking forward to putting it back in the van if you weren't!" I am going to keep the box to store my Super Kingsize Duvet in over the summer... It will fit nicely, and maybe even the pillows as well!

The liquidizer jug comes in a separate box, inside the main box, as does the food processor. They are every bit as sturdily made as the main machine. The plastic of the food processor is NOT flimsy (as one of the reviewers said) and the glass liquidiser jug is heavy and thick and solid and will be quite happy crunching ice, I am not a bit worried it will break.

The K beater, Balloon whisk and Dough Hook are all very strong and heavy, and smooth shiny and well made. This is a MIGHTY solid machine.

Each part has a well illustrated little manual and there is quite a thick book in the box too, with 180 recipes using all parts of the machine (and some that dont come included, like the pasta maker) and lots of other information like the available attachments, and how they work and a glossary of cookery terminology.

Also included, two CDs.. One which I think is the recipe book on CD (which I couldn't get to run on my computer - I think it needs Windows XP Service Pack 2, which I am not prepared to install). The other CD is the video which is available on Youtube, which you have probably seen if you have researched the brand.

The power cord is about an arm length of cable, and will push into a recess in the bottom of the machine to take up the cable when not in use. There is no storage hole to put the plug (unless perhaps there is something underneath... I havent checked and anyway its too heavy to heave about).

I am really happy with this machine, and I know I am going to get a lot of satisfaction from using it. I have already made pastry, sliced onions and ground coffee beans, and the power is awesome... Probably more than I will need most of the time, but when I come to try making bread that will put it to the test, and I am sure it will not even get out of breath! I will update when I have had some experience with using it, but for now, there is no regret.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 27 November 2012

Been using my KMC010 for a couple of weeks now, and have made pasta dough, meringues, soup, smoothies, cakes and biscuits, using all parts of the machine.

On my first attempt at bread I found that the dough hook seemed to gather the lump onto itself and then just spin it around without actually kneading, but on the second try a wetter dough worked better and kneaded well. This may have been my error since I am not experienced with bread at all. The machine worked well second time, and is quiet enough not to disturb the neighbours. Certainly it took bread in its stride.

I also made pastry using the food processor attachment which also worked fine, with no overheating, which was the death of my previous food processor.

No complaints at all about the working of the machine.

I applied for my free attachment, asking for first choice of the Ice cream maker, but I received the Pasta Maker (yesterday). Not complaining though, as its is a free gift, so it looks like I will be learning to make pasta soon. I have since found a fantastic ice cream recipe from Mary Berry that doesnt need a frozen bowl or any periodic stirring while it freezes, so I am not sad - just letting you know that you might not get your first choice from the offer.

Happy Christmas to all who read and contributed to what has become a little comment club here. I hope you are all as happy as I am with the Kenwood.

Sarah
Comment Comments (62) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2015 12:11 AM GMT

Prym Thimbles steel silver col 16,0 mm
Prym Thimbles steel silver col 16,0 mm
Offered by Scanlansarts

1.0 out of 5 stars Thimble delivery charges, 7 Oct. 2012
I cant believe that this item that weighs so little and takes so little room and is made of steel so requires no protective packaging, and costs 66 pence... can cost £3.95 to deliver!!

Premier Housewares Rubberwood Cone Table Lamp with Square Cream Lamp Shade
Premier Housewares Rubberwood Cone Table Lamp with Square Cream Lamp Shade
Offered by BarGain GooDS

4.0 out of 5 stars Rubberwood Cone Table Lamp, 10 May 2012
I was looking for a small footprint table lamp to sit on my bedside table not taking up too much room. This lamp is just right for that purpose. The cream shade is neat and bright when the lamp is on.

The wooden base isnt very heavy, so if you are looking for something very steady, this wouldnt do.

Be aware, this lamp requires a small screw fitting bulb, not the standard bayonet or large screw bulb.

Cool Kaftans Big Bang Space Planet Kaftan Dress Night Soft Gown Sexy - Free Size Cool Kaftans

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Kaftans Big Bang Space Planet Kaftan Dress, 9 May 2012
I was so happy with my first Kaftan from this company that I ordered this second one, and again I am very pleased with both service and quality.

Lovely soft fabric, very light and comfortable. Though the company recommend hand washing they do say that gentle machine washing is ok and I have found machine washing is fine.

This is a lovely garment.. I wear them all the time around the house - strongly recommended.

Cool Kaftans New Amazing Black ORCHID Flower Kaftan Dress Floral Soft 14 16 18 20 2 2 24 + Cool Kaftans
Offered by Cool Kaftan

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Kaftans New Amazing Black ORCHID Flower Kaftan, 11 April 2012
Lovely quality kaftan.

I bought this to replace a very similar item given to me as a gift about ten years ago which I wore absolutely to DEATH.. my old one practically fell apart and I searched for the company online in vain... finally found Cool Kaftans here at Amazon and I received this today.

I am SO happy! It is very similar to my old one, if not more beautiful. Soft viscose fabric which drapes nicely, lovely colours and pattern, fits me well, not too long. I love it and am very happy and will be going back to this company to look for another. Would recommend unreservedly.

Finally happy to let the old one go to the bin.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2012 4:06 PM BST

Vangoddy 10-Inch Message Bag Perfect Made for Saumsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1 Inch / Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Inch / Apple iPad 2 / New Apple iPad 3rd generation / Apple iPad 4 Wifi with Retina Display / Goolge Nexus 10 Tablet / Asus Transformer 10.1 INch / Acer Iconia 10.1 Inch / Archos 10 Inch and other 10" 10.1" 10.2" up to 10.5 inch Tablet (Blue)
Offered by BestpricecenterUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits my Asus Eee Transformer Prime and Dock nicely., 22 Mar. 2012
Arrived boxed and within 24 hours, thank you Amazon Prime.

I chose the blue version - black is too 'usual', brown is too ... well.. brown, and Pink was a teensy bit too 'barbie' for me. The blue is accurate on the photographs.

My Asus Transformer Prime and Dock fit smoothly into the pocket inside, with a little room to spare but not enough to allow it to slip around. The inside pocket for the tablet/netbook is thickly padded and fastened with a large overlapping tab and velcro, so my shiny new kit is completely contained and doesnt have to touch or rub against any metal and get scratched.

Opposite the main inner pocket for the tablet is a mesh pocket, large enough to hold cables and a charger, but I probably wont keep my charger there because its quite bulky and anyway my Asus holds 10 hours charge and I rarely take the charger out of the house.

The front zipped pocket has pockets for a pen, mobile and possibly a wallet or purse, zips close with sturdy metal tabs.

Nice sturdy carry handles, well stitched, and a long adjustable shoulder strap with sliding pad for the shoulder bone. Strap attaches to the bag with carrabine type metal clips on the strap and metal D rings on the bag.

Very pleased with the quality of this bag and the price. No fault found yet, will be using it regularly I am sure, (no need to take another handbag with me as this will function well as a handbag when I want my tablet with me).

Glad to award 5 stars at this point and will report later on durablity.

Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 Headset
Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 Headset
Offered by Sharp Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 Headset (Black), 19 Mar. 2012
An excellent headset for the price. I have used these for a few years now and am very happy with the quality of sound and mic performance, using them for skype calls, and gaming.

Earpieces are all-enclosing which minimises the background sounds well. Mic stem is flexible and sturdy. Only drawback is that they can be a little hot in hot weather. Firm head band fits well and stays in place on the head.

In-line switch turns mic off and on and controls volume of sound.

Cable could be a little longer but it's adequate for the average desk setup with pc tower on the desk next to you.

Comes complete with cd to install drivers.

Cable is thicker than cheaper version and therefore lasts well. My average durability for a set of headphones is about 8 months, these tend to last longer, and since they come with a 12 month guarantee, I will, (and have in the past) claim a replacement if they go down within that time.

Happy to award 5 stars. Have recommended to friends, who are also happy with the product.

Garden Planner Organiser from the KTWO Range
Garden Planner Organiser from the KTWO Range

5.0 out of 5 stars Garden Planner Organiser, 6 Feb. 2012
Lovely book for planning and recording a garden's progress. A3 sheet of squared paper for the garden design, plant tag stickers, plastic pockets for seeds, magazine clippings etc, and a zipped pocket.

Most impressed by the packing protection inside the film cover which prevents any damage to the surfaces in transit and storage before purchase, so the book arrived in pristine condition.

My son was very pleased with his birthday present.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3