Profile for lkh > Reviews

lkh

If Someone Says "You Complete Me," RUN!: Whoopi's Big Book of Relationships
If Someone Says "You Complete Me," RUN!: Whoopi's Big Book of Relationships

5.0 out of 5 stars It felt like my mom, 18 Dec. 2015
This book was helpful to me. I am going though a break up and a job loss. The first few chapters I was sceptical taking it more as an entertainment and a point of view I do not have to agree with. I listened to Whoopi as a comedian, not an advice-giver. Later into the book I found her advice practical and making sense to me. It felt wise, right to the point, and awakening. It felt like my mom, or my aunt or an older friend who I trust slapped me and told me to pick myself up, stop whining and figure it out myself. I felt better and I still do. Like she says - the advice and point of view might not be good for everyone, but it was good for me. And I am very grateful for this book.

Sarah's Key
Sarah's Key
by Tatiana De Rosnay

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 26 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Sarah's Key (Paperback)
I got hooked up to this book quickly and the beginning was so promising. I really like two unfolding stories going in parallel, especially that each story bit was very short. I am Russian and I do not remember being taught in school what happened in France in 1942. I found the book very useful in the way that it made me learn, feel for and remember those who had gone through such terror. However, by the time I got to the middle of the book and Sarah's story merged into Julia's it became a little boring to read about Julia and Bertrand's relationship, the story started to resemble a cheap romance book. It felt like another person had picked up writing. Rather dull descriptions of Julia's feelings, her decisions to move to New York are so detailed it made me wonder why they were put in the same book and given the same amount of attention as the terrible events of July 1942? I have found the ending very disappointing, predictable and it has spoiled my impression of the book.