Profile for David Ilkley > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
100 Greatest American TV Themes
100 Greatest American TV Themes

3.0 out of 5 stars Greatest?, 4 May 2012
I don't know why with these albums they always throw in some corny keyboard versions of themes. There are some good renditions here but in amongst them there are these diabolical cheesy tunes. There are also poor versions of 'Who' songs for the CSI themes. On the whole I would say that half of this album is good and the other half is bad.

Jazz Guitar Dinner Party Music, Jazz Instrumental Relaxing Background Music - Best Instrumental Background Music Dinner Party Music

3.0 out of 5 stars A long title, 4 May 2012
A mixed bag. Some of the tracks seem quite improvised as you will hear notes being missed and some delay in deciding which notes to play. I know Jazz has a degree of improvisation in it, but you can tell when its being played well and when not. I also think that having Jazz Guitar in it main title would suggest guitar music when some tracks don't feature the instrument.

Smooth
Smooth

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth & Smoochy, 4 May 2012
This review is from: Smooth (MP3 Download)
A splendid album. The sound quality is great and the tunes are performed very well indeed. This is one of the longest albums that Sam Levine has done, which is a deciding factor in my purchases. I will be using it to accompany camcorder footage.

Smooth Jazz Chill Out Lounge (2)
Smooth Jazz Chill Out Lounge (2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Jazzy Chill, 4 May 2012
The tunes are contemporary if a bit repetitive to my ears. I would prefer them to have a beginning, middle and an end. I should have realized when there was 'chill out' in the title. I suppose it shows my age really.

Smooth Jazz Chill Out Lounge
Smooth Jazz Chill Out Lounge

3.0 out of 5 stars Chilly Jazz, 4 May 2012

Symphonic Rock 3 CD Set
Symphonic Rock 3 CD Set

3.0 out of 5 stars RPO Rock, 4 May 2012
This review is from: Symphonic Rock 3 CD Set (Audio CD)
The slow tunes sound best performed by an orchestra. The rockier songs can sound a little bit corny. There are plenty of slow songs to make it a good purchase. I will be using it to go with camcorder footage.

The Best Of
The Best Of

4.0 out of 5 stars Best of RPO, 4 May 2012
This review is from: The Best Of (MP3 Download)
This a mix of classical, film & show tunes and old pop music which is representative of the orchestras repertoire over the years. The sound quality is good. Most of the tracks are performed well, with some exceptions, notably 'Take My Breath Away' which is awful. There is also a click on one classical track. Some lend them selves better than others to the orchestral treatment. 90 tracks for £5, for the money this is outstanding value.

The Very Best Of...
The Very Best Of...
Offered by marvelio-uk

2.0 out of 5 stars ELP, 4 May 2012
This review is from: The Very Best Of... (Audio CD)
The music sounds a little bit out of date and over indulgent. I bought it for 'Fanfare for the Common Man', which is still a good track. The others are so so. A true fan, which I am not, would get the 'Essential ELP Collection' rather than this. What you can say is that at this price, I haven't lost much.

Moon Over Maui
Moon Over Maui

3.0 out of 5 stars Hawaii 3/5, 26 April 2012
This review is from: Moon Over Maui (MP3 Download)
The quality isn't the best. There are only so many Hawaian slide guitar songs that I can listen to, without getting bored. I bought it to go with holiday film, so it won't be played much.

Romancing The 70's: Instrumental Hits Of The 1970s
Romancing The 70's: Instrumental Hits Of The 1970s

5.0 out of 5 stars Snuggly, 26 April 2012
What a pleasing record this is. The instruments all sound very clear. The standard of muscianship is really good. It sets a lovely ambient background mood. I will use it to accompany camcorder footage. I wish it could have been longer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6