Profile for S.Palmer > Reviews

Land Between The HB
Land Between The HB
by Manion Jeff

3.0 out of 5 stars Keeping your faith in tough times, 5 May 2011
This review is from: Land Between The HB (Hardcover)
I have been reading this book in response to watching a video that the author produced that came out as part of "The Global Leadership Summit" material from Willow Creek in 2010. The book explains why we need to hang on tight during tough times which can either shape our character into something more godly or which can produce a rich fruit of bitterness and resentment in us. The book is an easy read and focuses on the story of the Israelites in the wilderness. It draws out some good points and reminds us that direct personal experience of the goodness of God is important to document and hang on to during times when we are stressed and unsure of what is happening around us. It is a good antidote to some of the wrong theology that is taught that somehow God owes us and that once we follow him all our problems disappear. It is a strong reminder that whilst we cannot choose our circumstances we can always choose our response to them and our attitude can make a big difference. In particular it reminds us not to curse God, no matter what is happening in our lives.

Merlyn the Magician and the Pacific Coast Highway
Merlyn the Magician and the Pacific Coast Highway
by Tom Davies

4.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual Travelogue - stil relevant today, 5 May 2011
I had wanted to read this book for a long time after hearing it recommended by a friend. It is a very strange book to read as it jumps between genres - part travel book and part spiritual journey. I am a Christian and I was interested in how Tom arrived at describing the modern media as the whore of Babylon in Revelation. His vast experience in the media world is used by the author to expose what he feels lies at its heart. I found this analysis to be quite compelling. What was harder to cope with, for me at least, was the travel writing which didn't capture my imagination in the way that his spiritual asides did. I was expecting the situation to be reversed as I normally enjoy travel writing. It is not a hard read, a chapter at night at bed time slips down nicely. However, if you are not a fan of cycling you may find Tom's fixation with his various bicycles and his sometimes laboured linking of this to a transcendent spiritual experience somewhat hard to swallow. Reading it for the first time some 30 years after it was first published, much of the deeper observations of society and the fragmentation and loss of community that Tom rues, particularly on the California section of his journey, resonate strongly even now. I feel I want to know the author more (if he is still alive) and see where he went next on his spiritual journey in particular. Always a good sign to finish a book feeling you want more.

Café Theology: Exploring Love, the Universe and Everything
Café Theology: Exploring Love, the Universe and Everything
by Michael Lloyd

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty as a cheesecake, 17 Mar. 2008
This is a thick, dense book but full of flavour. You cannot consume it all at one sitting, but it is, like a good desert, moreish. What I enjoyed about it was the thorough referencing and the additional reading lists so that if you get stuck on a point or want to go deeper into something you can. The style is best described as an eclectic mix of flowing prose and witty observations about the absurdities of life. For me it was a good mix of the serious and amusing, with anecdotes always marshalled well to illustrate points raised. I particularly appreciated the very obvious pastoral heart that lies behind the theology that Michael shares. It betrays a great love for people and a deep understanding of the human condition. I heartily recommend it.

Simply Christian
Simply Christian
by Tom Wright

4.0 out of 5 stars Dry but straight forward, 23 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Simply Christian (Paperback)
The book is a straight forward, step by step no frills guide to what it means to be a Christian today. Tom sets out three world views and tries to relate back to these at different points in the text, sometimes more successfully than others. A dry book devoid of humour and anecdote, but logically constructed and largely free of jargon.

Aimed at the lay person the book is totally un-referenced which is a shame as it covers some big themes and questions. It would be helpful if a referenced study guide was produced to accompany the book. It could then be productively used in small group discussion. I found the sections on worship and prayer very helpful. Short chapters make bed time reading and future dipping back into the book very easy. Overall, the content echoes the simple black and white cover of the hardback version depicting a road and a lighthouse. It delivers what the title promises.

Page: 1 | 2