Profile for Alastair D. Bewsher > Reviews

Content by Alastair D. Be...

Alastair D. Bewsher "Alastair Bewsher"

Sacred Ground
Sacred Ground

2.0 out of 5 stars It sounds like any one of their last 4 or 5 albums, 19 July 2016
This review is from: Sacred Ground (Audio CD)
On first listening to this album, I thought 'that sounds very familiar'. It's almost identical to their last 4 or 5 releases.

It's pleasant enough but I'm afraid that all the songs now merge into one for me. There is nothing new here.

There are only so many ways that you can describe storms, water and happy memories. I like Celtic rock but this is very bland. A liberal scattering of Uillean pipes would not have gone amiss.

Rock or Bust
Rock or Bust

1.0 out of 5 stars I thought that 'Black Ice' was ok but I didn't really like the format, 9 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Rock or Bust (MP3 Download)
I've been a fan since 1980. AC/DC have produced some 'classics' but since For Those About To Rock, there have been few cd's to write home about in my opinion.

I thought that 'Black Ice' was ok but I didn't really like the format; lots of very short songs with short or non-existent solos.

This album is a great disappointment to me. It's 'Black Ice part 2' but not as good. I am mystified by the number of 5 star reviews here.

11 songs after a 4 year gap. Album running time is less than 40 minutes. What's going on!! There isn't a memorable track on here. Believe me, I really wanted to like this but there's nothing here that grabs me.

Perils Of The Deep Blue
Perils Of The Deep Blue

2.0 out of 5 stars OK if you like 'grunting' vocals, 4 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Perils Of The Deep Blue (Audio CD)
I received this cd very promptly after ordering.

I don't know anything about this band but thought I'd give it a go as I'm a keen Nightwish fan and guessed that there may well be similarities. The album popped up as a recommendation when I was looking at various cd's.

The girl who sings on this album has a beautiful voice. It fits in well with some really good, well-structured music. Heavy guitar with nice operatic bits and atmospheric sound effects here and there. However, the majority of the songs are, in my humble opinion, ruined by some bloke who adds a ridiculous grunt (is that the correct term?) to the song just as I'm getting into the tune. It sounds like he's being sick or something. Totally unnecessary distraction from some otherwise very strong material.

I will stick with the likes of Nightwish and Delain for this sort of music in future.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2013 8:42 PM BST

Wireless / Cordless Digital Doorbell 100M Range 32 Different Tunes - White
Wireless / Cordless Digital Doorbell 100M Range 32 Different Tunes - White
Offered by Xpress Retail

5.0 out of 5 stars It does the job at a ridiculously low price, 4 Aug. 2013
After about 30 seconds, I had managed to assemble the doorbell!!! It works. What more can I say. Other than the fact that there are dozens of tunes to choose from. Bargain.

3 Seater Wooden Slat Garden Bench Seat Lattice Style Cast Iron Legs
3 Seater Wooden Slat Garden Bench Seat Lattice Style Cast Iron Legs
Offered by KMS Distributions LTD

3.0 out of 5 stars The back of this bench IS plastic ...... not metal, 3 Aug. 2013
The flat pack bench arrived very quickly. I immediately realised that the description is wrong and must surely breach trading standards. The back of the bench is a plastic mesh; not metal as clearly stated in the product description. However, being so reasonably priced I decided to assemble it and see what it looked like. I didn't want to go through all the hassle of sending this back.

It looks ok and is reasonably comfortable.

I will not be buying anything else from this company. I am disappointed that Amazon are marketing this product because up until now, I've been very pleased with everything that I have purchased from them.

Arsenic Periodic Table Mug - Funny Gift Idea - Dishwasher safe and Microwavable
Arsenic Periodic Table Mug - Funny Gift Idea - Dishwasher safe and Microwavable

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong symbol and therefore not particularly funny, 26 Nov. 2012
I was just browsing through the section on novelties, jokes, etc. when I saw this mug.

The chemical symbol for arsenic is As not AS.

The Final Frontier
The Final Frontier

4.0 out of 5 stars good... but with a few more listens, it will be great!, 26 Aug. 2010
This review is from: The Final Frontier (Audio CD)
I ordered this album from Amazon on the day of release. It arrived a a couple of days later with the usual excellent service that they provide.

I have been a fan of maiden since 'Number of The Beast' back in the early eighties and have seen them nearly twenty times in concert.

This album is a tricky one. It has taken me a few plays to get into. I didn't like it to start with. I have listened to the disc half a dozen times and it's really growing on me.

I like Maiden's long, melodic guitar harmonies/solos in Blood Brothers, Nomad, Where Eagles Dare, The Prisoner, etc. and was hoping for something similar with this album. There's a bit of everything here but it's not quite as accessible in my opinion.

Some of the songs are rather lenghthy and not instantly memorable.

The musicianship is there for all to hear but I think it's a complex album to get into.

Iron Maiden are in a league of their own and always deliver the goods. I think that this could be one of their best; but give it a few plays before you decide.

Sting In The Tail
Sting In The Tail
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Sting in the Tail, 14 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Sting In The Tail (Audio CD)
I have been a long-time fan of the Scorps and like most rock bands, they've had their ups and downs.

This album is already my favourite. I've only owned it a few weeks but I keep playing it in the car. There are some really catchy songs here.

Klaus Meine is, in my opinion, the best rock vocalist ever. His voice is stunning on this album, whether it be in one of the superb ballads or one of the hard rockin' tracks.

I won't go through all the tracks individually, but suffice it to say that you won't be disappointed. Until I bought this album, my favourite was 'Blackout'. I rate this as a better album.

I hope that this isn't the last album that the Scorpions record. If it is, they've gone out on a high.

Alastair Bewsher

Talio Solar Rock Fountain -Brown/Green
Talio Solar Rock Fountain -Brown/Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Talio Solar Rock Fountain, 18 May 2008
The solar fountain is excellent value for money; it was less than half the recommended retail price when I bought it through Amazon. It arrived only 2 days after I placed the order.

The fountain works very well and with the recent sunny weather, the water has reached at least the 400mm mentioned in the instructions. This solar fountain is a lot better than the previous one I had because it works even if the sunshine is hazy or partially obscured by clouds.

The floating rock design looks good in the pond even when the fountain is not operating. I am very impressed!

Live In The Shadow Of The Blues (2CD)
Live In The Shadow Of The Blues (2CD)
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Live in the Shadow of the Blues review, 24 Jan. 2007
I've been a fan of hard rock/heavy metal since 1982 when I saw my first gig which was AC/DC on their For Those About To Rock... tour of '82.

Live albums such as AC/DC's 'If You Want Blood...', Motorhead's 'No sleep 'til Hammersmith' and Whitesnake's 'Live In The Heart Of The City' are all classics but in recent times, live albums just haven't been the same...... until this one!!

This is the best live album I've heard in years. The sound quality is superb throughout. If you like a really heavy twin guitar sound, you'll love this. The drums, bass and keyboard are excellent and Coverdale's voice is really on form.

The selection of songs will please everyone. I'm quite a fan of the '1987' album and quite a few of the songs make an appearance here; all of them played brilliantly.

My favourite is 'crying in the rain' with the guitar solos played superbly, note for note!!

Disc two opens with an excellent rendition of 'Burn/Stormbringer' ... awesome!!

The quality of music continues with every track. After all the live tracks, four new studio tracks are included and I must say, they're all good songs. I look forward to the new album.

I would say to anyone who likes good hard rock: buy this album, go home, sit down, pour a beer and enjoy the music!