Profile for Penfold > Reviews

Content by Penfold

Penfold (B'ham UK)

Enjoy Spanish Intermediate to Upper Intermediate Course: Improve your fluency and communicate with ease (Teach Yourself)
by Juan Kattán-Ibarra

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice text book to use, 2 Dec. 2015
A nice text book to use, we have an informal class of 4 so don't use it for self study, but I reckon it would be good for that too. The CD (MP3 files) contains speech as you would hear it in a Spanish speaking country so it's very useful for the practice of listening.

Dyson Tool Kit For Dyson Cordless Vacuum Cleaners
Dyson Tool Kit For Dyson Cordless Vacuum Cleaners

4.0 out of 5 stars The other brushes provided are useful too and it is far more economic to buy ..., 2 Dec. 2015
I bought this kit in the hope that the extension hose etc fitted the DC 50 Animal - IT DOES!!! Makes life a lot easier dusting etc because it extends the existing hose so that it is manageable. That is to say, it's possible to vacuum mantles etc without having to lift the DC50 or pull it over by trying to over extend the hose. The other brushes provided are useful too and it is far more economic to buy the complete kit rather than the extension hose alone. Prior to buying this kit, we were looking to buy a cordless portable for those hard to reach areas, this is a much cheaper option and actually less hassle because there's no constant recharging. Some cordless only have a life of about 6 minutes before recharging is required. Very happy with purchase, Amazon was by far the best price i found too.

Renegade
Renegade

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album from a a great 'live' band headed up ..., 27 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Renegade (Audio CD)
Great album from a a great 'live' band headed up by former World Superbike Champion (twice) James Toseland who is brilliant on keyboards and vocals. He's got a lot of talented musicians with him, worth a listen if you like Rock.

The Faith & Patience
The Faith & Patience
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album - Brilliant Rock band, 27 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Faith & Patience (Audio CD)
I saw these guys as 'support' for another band 'Toseland'. They were only halfway through their stint when I turned to my two friends and said "I don't know about you guys but I've had my money's worth already". They virtually played through the entire album, sadly I hadn't got the cash on the night to buy one (as they would have signed it) but I bought two off Amazon the next day, one for me one for my pal. I've bought further copies since to give away - I know I could 'rip and burn' a copy but that doesn't do the band any good! This album is great, I can't compare it to anyone because these fellas have their own sound - and it's soooo good. This music will appeal to all ages, sadly I was the oldest 'rocker' in town at the gig but I loved it as did everyone else; I do a few rock gigs and this band got the best response from an audience for a support band that I've seen in many a long year. I'd happily pay again to watch them as support, but take it from me, they should be headlining in bigger venues before too long, they're that good.
Penfold

Oxford Oximiser 900 12V UK Motorcycle Battery Charger Optimiser
Oxford Oximiser 900 12V UK Motorcycle Battery Charger Optimiser
Offered by Motorcycle Parts Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars I had a previous version of this which lasted about ..., 27 Jan. 2015
I had a previous version of this which lasted about 5 years with constant use. Does exactly what you want it to do, I have two bikes and I just switch between them weekly.

ES-62 Lens Hood fits CANON EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens
ES-62 Lens Hood fits CANON EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens
Offered by BV-electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, 5 Oct. 2013
It works fine, the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because it screws onto the lens/filter, rather than the normal bayonet type snap-on. So it's just a bit cumbersome to take on and off. I just keep mine on all the while now.

Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens
Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens
Offered by Koester retail

5.0 out of 5 stars The way to go for low light portraits, 5 Oct. 2013
For the money, this is an amazing piece of kit. At f 1.8, the depth of field is so shallow, that if your subject is facing you slightly at an angle, one eye can be pin sharp and the other slightly blurred. Distracting items in the background disappear into the blur.
You can take shots indoors with light from a window with ease, it gives lovely soft shadows and adds so much depth to your photos. Of course it can be used at f2 and f2.8 much to the same degree. Beware of the old trap though, I got carried away and got caught by it! I mean,watch that shutter speed; if you use a shutter speed of less than the focal length, as with any lens, while the image looks sharp on your LCD, it can still be blurred when viewed on your PC. For hand held shots,aim for a 1/60th minimum with a full frame camera 1D, 5D etc and at least an 80th for an APS C.

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera
by Bryan Peterson

4.0 out of 5 stars No more grey snow!!!, 13 July 2009
I wasn't sure about getting this book but it was worth it. It puts exposure into perspective and gives an understanding of how shutter speed, aperture and ISO are inter related and how to adjust that combination to provide numerous 'correct' exposures. I thought that this book might be a little basic for me (I was obviously a bit thicker than I thought!) but I'm now on my second reading. I will be shoting 'Manual' from now on most of the time - especially now I know where to take my meter readings from to get that correct exposure - no more grey snow! I never understood why it never looked white before. Great value at the price I paid.

Nokia 1200 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black
Nokia 1200 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars If you're not fussy......................, 13 July 2009
about looks or gimmicks, this phone does the biz. I had a sophistocated phone with camera and video but the battery performance was appalling - needed to charge it each day. This one does texts and calls and the battery goes for 10 days easily (but I don't use it much!)