Profile for Ant > Reviews

Ant

Microsoft Wedge Touch Mouse
Microsoft Wedge Touch Mouse

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid - beautiful but flawed, 30 July 2013
I bought this mouse about two months ago and it's been my primary mouse for work so it's had a lot of use. While small it feels nice in the hand and it didn't take long for me to get used to the slightly unusual feel of it.

The touch gestures are a little tricky to master - I never did - it's hard to be as precise for something as simple as up and down scrolling as with a track wheel but that might just be me.

The two big issues with it, and the reason I won't replace the one I've just hurled into the bin in disgust, are the poor Bluetooth connectivity and the fragile build quality.

When using it it appears to regularly lose connection to the PC (in my case a Surface Pro - so I guess it could be the Surface, goodness knows that devices has its challenges!) and you're left with no mouse for a few seconds. About half the time it seems to just reconnect automatically, the other half I switch it off and on again and it reconnects. This just becomes too aggravating after a while.

Finally, it's just too fragile. I don't think I've been particularly rough with it(!) - it lives in a little pouch in my laptop bag and comes in and out every day... I don't recall dropping it and don't think it could have got knocked around in the bag too much. Either way, the battery door - which is slick when it works - just got locked in place and after 10 minutes of gently trying to tease it open I ended up just ripping it off in frustration and killing it. I can say with certainty that it didn't get 1/10 of the maltreatment my Logitech wireless mouse got in the two years I had it (dropped by children countless times, and they weren't allowed near the Touch Wedge) - and that mouse is still working (and am about to go back to it).

So this is a pretty mouse, which promises much, is lovely and compact, but it's just not reliable or robust enough to be used daily, in and out of a laptop case - which seems to me to be rather the point of such a small mouse.