Profile for A Customer > Reviews

Content by A Customer

A Customer (Yorkshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Kenwood AT340 Slicer/Shredder Attachment for Kenwood Chef
Kenwood AT340 Slicer/Shredder Attachment for Kenwood Chef

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to Kenwood Chef/Major, 24 Jan. 2016
Great attachment.
Biggest bonus over a food processor (which usually has similar facility) is that you can grate/chop/shred you food directly into whatever container you have to hand - making it particularly useful for large -or small - quantities.
A bit fiddly to assemble when you first start using it but you get used to it pretty quickly.
Dishwasher-safe too.

Kenwood DL229 Cooking Chef, 6.7 L
Kenwood DL229 Cooking Chef, 6.7 L

5.0 out of 5 stars Get one if you can afford it (or even if you can't!), 24 Jan. 2016
I thought I would write a quick review of this as there seem to be very few reviews of this machine - despite it being made by a reputable company with a great (deserved) reputation for quality and engineering.
This is the latest model of the Cooking Chef - but without the food processor & blender.
I also didn't get the Cookbook with mine - though Kenwood kindly sent me one through the post.
Because I already have a good food processor (also a Kenwood) and blender jug from my old Kenwood Chef (which conveniently also fits this machine) , I saved £300 by buying this particular model (from a different, cheaper, supplier online) and used some of the savings to buy more useful attachments (at least for me) - like the mincer and the grating/slicing/shredding attachment (which conveniently dumps the cut up/grated food into any large or small bowl rather than being restricted to a small processor bowl).
Yes - this is an expensive machine - but not much more so than a Kenwood Major - and, with Kenwood's engineering expertise and reputation for product longevity (I still have my parent's Kenwood Chef from 1963 & it is still going strong) , I would say it is a good investment for anyone who likes cooking.
It's cheaper than the only comparable product around (the Thermomix) and is more useful when you take into account it's about the most robust mixer on the market for home use - even without the cooking facility.
Added to which it caramelises onions brilliantly (just thought I'd mention that as it was a revelation to me) saving you nearly an hour of stirring a pan over a gentle heat - something which the TM cannot do (I tried a couple of times but it just didn't get hot enough & the onions kept tangling themselves round the blade) - though it is slightly easier to make things like custard, bechamel sauce and soup in the TM because of the nature of the constantly spinning blades - even though the KCC also performs these tasks well.
I have both machines and use & love them both.
I think, generally speaking, the TM is more geared towards the busy housewife and it isn't necessary to know much about cooking as the machine holds your hand all the way through the process telling you what to do at every juncture (on the current model). Obviously you can adapt all the built-in recipes to your own and can use all the functions independently too.
The KCC on the other hand seems more suited to someone who knows something about cooking - and even for professional chefs.
Once you get the hang of all of its functions, you realise just how versatile and useful a machine this is.
Makes you proud to be British!

Salt Sugar Smoke: How to preserve fruit, vegetables, meat and fish
Salt Sugar Smoke: How to preserve fruit, vegetables, meat and fish
by Diana Henry

5.0 out of 5 stars No time to write a full & proper review but......., 29 April 2014
You really must try the maple & bourbon glazed smoked chicken.............some of the nicest chicken we've EVER had (we've had a lot of chicken).
Also the smoked chicken & mango salad.............
[NB - we have had an Anuka electric Smoker for years & it's been worth every penny (it was about £100)].

Beautiful looking & feeling book & everything we've tried has scored top marks.

Electric Hot Smoker
Electric Hot Smoker
Offered by Mac's BBQ Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 12 Nov. 2012
As there only seems to be one other review of this smoker, I just thought I'd write a few quick lines saying what a fantastic bit of kit this is.
I've had mine for about 5 years and have smoked quite a few things, but none more than whole roast chickens - of which I must have smoked dozens.
Unimaginatively, I have to say that I've used nearly all of them in a delectable smoked chicken, mango & herb salad (utterly addictive)!
Anyway - it's well made, reliable, not too big, so easy to store & easy to use and easy to clean.
You can't ask for more than that.
Highly recommended.

Jump!
Jump!
by Jilly Cooper OBE

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as the reviews have made out., 29 July 2012
This review is from: Jump! (Paperback)
I - along with most other reviewers here - have always been a massive Jilly fan and have read all of her novels - big & small.
The only 2 that didn't really grab me (though I still enjoyed reading them) were The Man Who made husbands Jealous and Wicked.
I've just read a lot of very negative reviews about this book and had to add my voice to those who did actually enjoy the book.
I really enjoyed Jump and didn't have any trouble keeping up with the characters - human or animal.

Fast, Fresh, Simple
Fast, Fresh, Simple
by Donna Hay

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my most used cook books, 29 July 2012
This review is from: Fast, Fresh, Simple (Paperback)
I must say - this is one of my favourite & most used cookery books.
No mean feat as I have hundreds.
But this one never leaves my kitchen as everything in it is - as it says - fast, fresh & Simple to make.
And everything tastes great - no compromises at all.
Everything I have made has been fantastic & I can't recommend it highly enough.
Wish I'd seen the TV series......................

The English Garden
The English Garden
by Ursula Buchan

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful & inspirational book, 29 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The English Garden (Hardcover)
Beautiful pictures & informative writing - a nice balance between the 2.
There's something for anyone with an interest in English gardens & horticulture whatever your sphere of interest - be it landscape, water & even kitchen gardens.
I enjoyed every minute of reading it & even tried to spread out the experience by just reading a few pages every morning - which I found started my days on a serene & positive note!

A Taste of My Life
A Taste of My Life
by Raymond Blanc

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a book to read, 24 Feb. 2011
This review is from: A Taste of My Life (Paperback)
I have many many books - especially cook books - & have to rate this as one of the nicest & most inspirational I have read recently.
Apart from the quality of writing that other reviewers have described along with the general gist of the book, I would like to add that I have tried many of the given recipes interspersed within the text & found nearly all of them to be delicious & well explained.
The most useful being the marvelous method for cooking any veg quickly, healthily & tastily (with a knob of butter, hardly any water & a high heat) - not really a recipe I know, but it's great when you can take away a really useful tip from a book that you can use on a regular basis without further reference.
Highly recommended.

The Flavour Thesaurus
The Flavour Thesaurus
by Niki Segnit

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but......., 30 July 2010
This review is from: The Flavour Thesaurus (Hardcover)
Great idea for a book & obviously well reasearched.
Although I haven't read the book from cover to cover yet, I happened to dip into the section not recommending chocolate & beetroot cake (apparantly it tastes "like a cheap chocolate cake that's been dropped in a flowerbed") whilst actually eating a delicious slice of the offending combination (well-each to their own I suppose), it does seem the kind of book designed to consulted time & time again.
I was therefore amazed to see such an otherwise beautifully presented "reference" book produced in the cheapest possible manner. It is the only cookery book (really!) that I possess that has all the pages cheaply glued together rather than properly bound. Well-used pages will almost certainly fall out. I hope I'm wrong - time will tell.
Apart from the above (not-so little) gripe, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the book.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2011 12:09 PM GMT

Long Nights and Log Fires: Warming Comfort Food for Family and Friends
Long Nights and Log Fires: Warming Comfort Food for Family and Friends
by Various

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book but would benefit from some "triple testing"., 9 Feb. 2010
I have a lot of cookery books & have to say that this one had me drooling throughout my first read through.
Descriptions, pictures & presentation are all great.
I marked at least 75% to try!
Results however have been mixed. I have only tried about 8 so far & some have worked superbly well whilst others don't seem to have been tested properly, giving only mediocre (& therefore disappointing) results.
I noticed at the back that many people had contributed recipes - so maybe that is the reason.
I know that some recipe books are thoroughly tested many times before they are published & I think that this book would benefit massively from that - as I'm sure it would become a classic.
Because of this I have given it only 4 stars - though I would still highly recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2