Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (West Midlands, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Don't You Forget About Me
Don't You Forget About Me

5.0 out of 5 stars 80s Rom-com Gold., 6 Jun. 2016
I'm a big fan of 80s' movies. I still remember seeing The Breakfast Club the first time and being blown away by it. I also used to be in my local video shop every Saturday, without fail, renting out armfuls of videos to watch and re-watch until they were due back (the premise of this book reminds me of one brilliant film I rented called Grosse Pointe Blanc). So this book really called to me. The way Liz weaves all these 80s strands into a fun love story is like coming across rom-com gold. I urge you all to give it a go, and at such a cheap asking price, there isn't any reason to say no!

Touch
Touch
by Claire North

5.0 out of 5 stars In my Top Five books of 2015, 17 May 2016
This review is from: Touch (Paperback)
One of my favourite books of last year. Original idea, brilliantly executed. Reminded me a lot of the great Denzal Washington film Fallen.

HTC Premium Dot View Window Protective Case Cover with Auto On/Off Function for HTC One M9 - Grey

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but not robust enough., 23 Jun. 2015
I really like the functions of this case (especially the alarm and customisation of the dot interface), but the styling is a little ugly. It's no fun having to hold the case open when trying to take pictures, either. But most damning of all is that after about 3months' use, the hinge part is halfway split and will soon come unattached entirely, therefore making the case unusable. It doesn't hold up to daily use.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2015 5:10 PM BST

Hang Inn (Inn Trilogy Book 1)
Hang Inn (Inn Trilogy Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Above average self-pub effort., 31 Dec. 2014
Actually not bad for a self-published effort. There are a a few grammar mistakes and misspellings, and the dreaded passive voice is used far too often (as is repetition). It could do with a damn good edit, but I applaud a fellow so young writing and getting himself out there (even if I don't personally think spamming people on Twitter is the way to go about it). Well done.

Bird Box
Bird Box
by Josh Malerman

2.0 out of 5 stars The writing wasn't strong enough for my liking., 13 April 2014
This review is from: Bird Box (Hardcover)
As much as I liked the premise (I'm a big horror fan), and although there were a couple of genuinely tense moments, overall I found the writing weak and the story lacking in originality. I didn't much care for any of the characters, either. It's a shame because I wanted to like it - it strongly reminded me of Day of the Triffids at the beginning with small elements of I Am Legend interwoven in the set-up. I struggled my way through the book and was glad when I'd finished it and could move onto the Stephen King novel I've been wanting to read.

I'm obviously in the minority of people who didn't enjoy this book (we can't all like the same things, I guess) but it does make me wonder how much poor writing people can overlook as long as they feel entertained. 2 stars for the story premise and that's all.

Heart-Shaped Box
Heart-Shaped Box
by Joe Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but most importantly SCARY., 16 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Heart-Shaped Box (Paperback)
I really like Joe Hill's books. He has such a simple style and yet it serves his stories very well. It just goes to show you don't need flowery, 'literary' prose to tell a great story with interesting characters you care about (and antagonists who scare you silly).
Give it a go, you won't be disappointed.

Fractured
Fractured
by Dani Atkins

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously?!, 16 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Fractured (Paperback)
I have to wonder what exactly the reading public want from their fiction these days. If it's badly written, cliched storylines, then they're certainly getting what they want from books like this. Frankly it makes me despair. Why isn't decently written fiction being published when tosh like this is finding a huge audience? Criminal.
It gets one star only because the author has somehow found some wonky formula to make people read her mediocre writing and rate it 5 stars. Kudos for that, at least.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2014 12:39 PM BST

HTC One 32GB UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Silver (discontinued by manufacturer)
HTC One 32GB UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Silver (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Dealco

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely lovely lovely., 16 April 2013
My last phone was a HTC Desire S, and although I loved it when I first had it, the little bugs and inconsistencies with the software and OS soon started to annoy the hell out of me. What started as 4/5 rated phone went down to a 3/5 phone by the end of my 24month contract and I vowed I wouldn't have another HTC again.
Then I started reading the reviews of the current batch of high spec smartphones currently or soon-to-be available. The same handsets were being mentioned time and time again: Sony Xperia Z, the new Galaxy S4, iPhone 5, and the HTC One (M7). And it was the HTC One that was pipping the others to the top spot. Now I had a dilemma - should I chance getting another HTC phone and possibly live to regret it, or should I try one of the others? I loved the design of the One, and was excited about the specs and what the phone could do, so I held my breath and pre-ordered it. Stock shortages and delays couldn't dampen my excitement, and on the 8th April I became the owner of my new phone, and boy am I glad I took the chance. The HTC One is a stunning piece of kit. Lovely to look at, even better to hold (the smooth, cool feel of the aluminium unibody is especially pleasing), and the sophistication and useability of the OS itself is outstanding. In short, I cannot fault this phone at all. Yes, it's early days, but I have used the phone extensively since I received it, and it's never failed to impress. I'm loving it, and I'm proud to be seen using it.
If in doubt, pop into a phone store and just pick the thing up and have a play. As soon as you do, I have no doubt the quality will speak for itself.

I KILLED MY KILLER
I KILLED MY KILLER

1.0 out of 5 stars Self-publishing isn't always a great idea., 20 Feb. 2013
I've read the sample chapters on offer here and have to say I will not be purchasing this e-book. If this is the standard of story telling being allowed on the Kindle store, I have to wonder if it's such a great idea to let every Tom, Dick or Harry self-publish their 'work'. Very poor.

The Elements of Style
The Elements of Style
by William Strunk Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be in your toolkit., 8 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
Any writer should read this book and have it nearby as reference. It's so comprehensive and in such a small book, too. Ignore the fact it's written by Americans, it's still highly useful even if our written language differs.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4