Profile for withwill > Reviews

Underneath the Lemon Tree: A Memoir of Depression and Recovery
Underneath the Lemon Tree: A Memoir of Depression and Recovery
by Mark Rice-Oxley

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, moving and reasurring, 27 April 2012
This is a fantastic book and incredibly helpful. It's funny,moving and brave; full of honest insight.

I would imagine anyone with depression would benefit from reading this book (I read it in conjunction with Tim Cantopher's excellent 'Depressive illness:curse of the strong'. Both have helped me to have some hope, reassure me that I am not alone with my illness and that what I am experiencing is felt by many many others.

This book helps to challenge stereotypes and stigma, reminding us that telling others is the best way to help ourselves and help others.

It describes the true horror of depression, the sinking loneliness, the dark moments of despair, the relentless feelings of loss. Any yet it also tells us that people can and do recover from depression, and for that I am deeply thankful to Mark Rice Oxley.

Depressive illness-curse of the strong
Depressive illness-curse of the strong
by Dr. Tim Cantopher

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 19 April 2012
There is more wisdom in the first few pages in this book than I have had in the last six months working with crisis services, psychiatric hospitals, GP's, therapists and psychiatrists.

It is readable, accessible and concise enough that even I could read it (and I havent read a book in six months)

It contains advice and explanation to help, be easy on yourself, dont blame yourself but make changes and better choices.

I find a lot of self help books wordy and sprawling but this does the job.

If only it was a sent text for everyone in the mental health field.

The Mermaid Chair
The Mermaid Chair
by Sue Monk Kidd

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical and memorable, 29 Oct. 2006
This review is from: The Mermaid Chair (Paperback)
This is a wonderful novel, spellbinding with characters that you can wholly visualise and want to know. The writing is very strong and not for a long time have I remembered the style, flavour and feeling of a novelist's writing long after I have finished it.