Profile for Mr. T. A. Hall > Reviews

Content by Mr. T. A. Hall

Mr. T. A. Hall "tomhall_uk"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Back To Bedlam
Back To Bedlam

4.0 out of 5 stars You Love Him or Hate Him, 25 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Back To Bedlam (Audio CD)
Its true, you do either love him or hate him.
I discovered the album in about November 2004, when it was first released. The cover was black and grey, and did nothing for the imagination. I was drawn to the album by the first three tracks : You're beautiful, Wisemen and High. However, the album was then re released, with the flashy new cover and a single to boot. Great I thought, he's finally getting the credit he deserves, however now I am of a different opinion.
It is true that I was drawn to the album by the first three traks, although I'm not sure that somone buying the album now would appreciate them as much as I did due to the severe overexposure they have suffered. Sure the first three tracks are good, but as with any album the tracks you bought it for soon get boring and eventually it pushes you into delving deeper into the album. This is where the real hits of the album lie. Songs such as Tears and Rain, and the haunting No Bravery are fantastic, and, unlike the first three have some staying power.
Before writing this album off as 'You're beautiful' re-incarnated 10 times, take a look at the later tracks - you may be pleasantly surprised.

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge
Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't Believe The Hype, 20 Feb. 2006
After hearing for ages and ages about how good this album is, I finally succumbed to peer pressure and got it. After listening to it once, I wondered what the fuss was about. Having listened to it a few times since in order to try and get 'into it', I am massivly dissapointed. It's basically a pop - punk album, not to far from Green Day. To be honest it bored me stiff, as most of the songs sound the same/have the same themes/have similar lyrics.
Buy only if you're seriously into this kind of thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, But needs perseverence., 5 Feb. 2006
To begin with, I was the opposite of the critics - 'Is This it?' was hailed as a masterpiece, and the follow up 'Room On Fire'was accused of being too 'samey'. I got room on fire first, and loved it, but when I got is this it, I was majorly dissapointed. When I heard this was being released, I was apprehensive. I had heard 'Juicebox' and was still undecided. However, I bought it nonetheless on the day it came out, and was instantly blown away by You Only Live Once. After this however, The album petered out, and again I was dissapointed.
I managed to get tickets to see the Strokes live in Manchester, and so before I went I routed out the two older albums and familiarised myself with the songs on them. Is This It grew on me, and I absolutly love it - the same for room on fire. First Impressions has done the same. It has a noticable, if yet difficult to place, difference to the other two albums, and that is why I was so unsure to begin with. However, after my second full listen, I loved it. You Only Live Once and Heart In A Cage particularly stand out.
It is a fantastic album, but has to be listened to more than once to be fully appreciated.

Inside In/Inside Out
Inside In/Inside Out

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant Surprise, 5 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Inside In/Inside Out (Audio CD)
I was pleasantly surprised by this album - I bought it cautiously, wondering if it was the same as 99% of things these days, and yet its not.
Seaside is an amazing track, starting the album off perfectly.

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

3.0 out of 5 stars Demos - 5, This - 3, 5 Feb. 2006
This album is massivly dissapointing. After reading how good they were in NME every single week for what seems like most of 2005, I thought they would be amazing and probably the biggest band of my lifetime. I was given the demo songs by a friend, and to be fair, the demo songs are good - 'Scummy' and 'Fake Tales' in particular. However, for the album, these have been changed - be it in name or lyrics (the band weren't very good../the band were f##king w##k) - and not for the better. The album is clearly aimed at my brothers generation: 12-14 year olds who are getting into their first music and who were probably transfixed be American Idiot by Green Day, or Busted, or McFly - the usual pop-rock stuff thats been hyped up beyond belief by the media, especially magazines like NME. The lyrics were changed simplay to make the band look cooler, and it has totally the opposite effect making them look silly.
Overall, its an alright album, but if they are still the next big thing in 12 months I'll be massively surprised. To be honest, I'd get hold of the demo tracks instead of this, the grating vocals and slightly grainy sounds make the band sound excellent, and at the end of the day you would only be missong one or two songs off here, but gaining better ones (Knock a Door Run, On The Run From MI5).

A Certain Trigger
A Certain Trigger

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - and I've met them!, 5 Feb. 2006
This review is from: A Certain Trigger (Audio CD)
I've had this album since it came out, and I love it. 'Apply some pressure' is great, as are 'Acrobat' and 'Kiss You Better' provides a really upbeat feel to the end of the album.
They're aslo nice in person, as I met them yesterday in Manchester at a signing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 4 Jan. 2006
The Strokes have done it again! From the Very first song (in my opinion, the best) 'You Only Live Once' this album doesn't fail to dissapoint. I never review anything, but this is just faantastic.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3