Profile for Maxwell Edison > Reviews

Harbour Manoeuvres Step by Step
Harbour Manoeuvres Step by Step
by Lars Bolle

3.0 out of 5 stars A great deal is not relevant to UK waters, 4 Mar. 2013
I should have realised that, being written by a German yachtsman, it would be heavily based on the mooring arrangements found in Europe most of which are not found in the UK. Though I don't think there was anything in the description to suggest this. As such much of the book was, for me at least, irrelevant. Having said that I did pick up a few ideas.
If Amazon did not use the words they do to describe the star ratings I would only give it two stars but in Amazon terminology that equates to "I don't like it" and I don't think that would be appropriate.
It seems I have the chance to add to my review. That being the case can I respond to the comment from NJ on the previous review for this book. I have the Bill Johnson book Manoeuvring Under Power. For my money there is no contest. Bill Johnson has far more to say that is relevant to someone sailing in the UK His diagrams are simpler too.

501 Italian Verbs (501 Verbs)
501 Italian Verbs (501 Verbs)
by John Colaneri

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Aid To Learning Italian Verbs, 23 Nov. 2010
Firstly, can I say that I cannot understand the review that says, as a criticism, that all the book consists of is a list of conjugated verbs when the book tells you on the cover that is exactly what it is. Dealing with the same review, if I wanted a source of great inspiration or understanding I would not expect to find it in a book of verbs. Sorry to pick on one review but I do feel that it skews the overall rating quite unfairly.

In my opinion the book is excellent. I have been learning Italian for many years and it is still the first book I pick up to help me ensure that I am using verbs correctly and unfortunately I need to do this quite often. I had the previous edition and now I have bought this latest version. It is even better as it brings together the various uses of the tenses and the way in which each tense is conjugated. In the previous edition the two aspects were included but in separate sections. It is better presented as use has been made of colour which is more reader friendly. It highlights 55 essential verbs and to my mind the book is worth buying if only for that as it makes me focus on getting these verbs, in particular, correct. Then, in addition to the 501 fully conjugated verbs it lists another 1500, yes 1500, and each one is cross referenced to a fully conjugated verb in the book so that you can then apply that conjugation to the 1500 in the list. So, for not a lot of money you have the capability of ensuring that you are dealing correctly with 2001 Italian verbs. The book also has small sections on miscellaneous grammar.

Some people are gifted when it comes to languages. They will have no need of this book. But for the rest of us who struggle to learn the verbs in the first instance and then, with the passing of time, need to check them the book is invaluable. I have many Italian grammar books and this is the one I consult most frequently.