Profile for E. Mcgee > Reviews

Content by E. Mcgee

E. Mcgee (UK)

All Woman Anti Chafing Short Legged Knickers Guaranteed No Riding Up Natural UK18/22
Offered by THE BIG BLOOMERS COMPANY

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous!, 26 Aug. 2016
I bought these for a holiday I was taking in North America in July, where it was going to be bloody hot. In these circumstances there is nothing nicer than a long floaty dress, and nothing worse than chub rub resulting from high temperatures. I bought these in the hope that they would alleviate the problem.

My word, they are marvellous.

You can slip them on over your normal underwear and they prevent any sort of rubbing or irritation at all. There are no seams on the product, and they are very comfortable to wear - no pinching with the waistband or anywhere else. The fit was spot on, and in fact I can even wear them under trousers if I feel it's necessary. The fabric is quite thin and soft, but entirely up to the job. I would also say that they are not too hot to wear, even in temperatures of over 30 degrees C.

Buying a pair in the 'natural' colour it was possible to wear them under light coloured dresses without them being visible.

Washing them is very easy, as they stand up to machine washing very well and can be line dried. As the fabric is thin, they dry very quickly.

If you find yourself hesitating to wear dress because of discomfort from thigh rub, I would unhesitatingly recommend these to you.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Wheeeeeeee!, 21 Sept. 2015
This little gadget is great fun, and amazingly easy for a complete beginner to get the hang of, trust me - you'll be merrily doing flips in no time.

The only downsides are the battery life, which clocked it at around 15 minutes for me, and a somewhat opaque manual. There are some good tutorials on Youtube, so the latter isn't a deal breaker.

Once I'm fully up to speed with this little guy I'm going to use him in meetings to menace people who drone on too long. (Note: children this is a terrible and dangerous fun thing that you should never do.)

Who Moved My Cheese: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life

1.0 out of 5 stars Patronising and obvious, 31 July 2015
So the message of this overrated pamphlet (at under a hundred pages it doesn't qualify as a book) is that businesses should avoid becoming complacent and stay prepared for change, because otherwise their markets may change and they won't make money anymore.

I have now saved you £2 and half an hour of tedium. That is pretty much it, stuff changes and you can benefit from engaging with it or be left behind.

I suppose that might qualify as a brilliant insight if you have recently suffered a traumatic head injury, or are simply rather dim.

The good news is that in the latter case you mostly likely have a glittering career ahead of you as a writer of motivational tosh.

The Killing of Georgie Moore: A True-Life Victorian Mystery
The Killing of Georgie Moore: A True-Life Victorian Mystery

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book, let down by the finale, 20 Nov. 2013
Overall I quite enjoyed this book, the author did a good job with scene setting and the pace jogs along nicely, although it slows down a little in the final third.

Where I feel the author lets himself down is in ascribing the motive for Georgie's abduction to the main suspect's desire for a child of her own. The problem is that he doesn't present any evidence that she *had* this manic desire for a child. The reasoning seems to be along the lines of "She is a woman, therefore she must want a child" - which is simply an assumption of his part.

For me this lazy sterotyping left a rather bad taste in the mouth, which was unfortunate because up to this point I thought the crime had been soundly explained by the available evidence.

City of God
City of God
by Paulo Lins

1.0 out of 5 stars Violence and misery unlifted by human warmth, 26 Mar. 2007
This review is from: City of God (Paperback)
I was obliged to read this as a result of being picked by my book club. I deeply regret having spent money on it.

It is not simply that this is a depressing book (it is) or a grotesquely violent book (it is), the problem is that every single character in this book is systematically degraded by the author. It is impossible to find in this book, any spark of redeeming humanity in any of the characters. One is forced to the conclusion that the writer has no feelings of fondness for any of the people he describes, in the odd and farflung locations where you feel he starts to experience a sneaking affection for one of these characters they are killed off, swiftly and horribly.

Perhaps I have unrealistic expectations, but when I read a book I expect that at the end of it I will feel that I have been raised above what I was before, emotionally or intellectually, after reading this I felt cheapened.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2009 10:35 PM GMT