Profile for nickyb > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
I Let You Go
I Let You Go

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing I, 30 Jun. 2015
This review is from: I Let You Go (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book from beginning to end. Plenty of reviews here praising this novel so need to wax lyrical for too long. But really a very good piece of writing. Ms Mackintosh uses brevity wisely in telling a tale that will test your emotions. She is able to convey fear, violence, tension and even love in an economic style that forces you to keep reading. No doubt this is a thriller of a very high standard. There was a danger of it getting sloppy at one stage, I thought, but she pulled it back from the edge of it turning into a romantic thriller. Back on track it made you feel uncomfortable and fearful for the protagonist. You really did not know at almost any stage where this was story going. I feel the only reason that it doesn't get 5 stars is that the police detective's storyline is weak and unnecessary and at times distracting.

Fear the Worst
Fear the Worst

3.0 out of 5 stars Fearful Fear, 30 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Fear the Worst (Kindle Edition)
It's been some time since I read Linwood Barclay's debut novel which I was thought was very good at the time. I saw this book in our secondhand library and so I thought I'd revisit the writer. But what a poor decision. This is a book for a beach, a poolside or a winter's night in, out of the cold. At times it does grip you and there appears to be a really interesting plot brewing away. Hence the three stars. But at other times the whole story seems to be outrageous. The protagonist just would do the things he does. The police just would not conduct the inquiry in the way the author wants us to think they would. The violence which takes place which appears to attract no attention at all. Are they living in some sort of ghost town. Nevertheless, as you read past these anomalies, you remain sort of gripped by what could happen next. The coincidences, crimes commited and conclusions are crazy. Entertaining and intriguing at times but really a lot of nonsense. Three stars for effort.

Pig Island
Pig Island
by Mo Hayder

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Pig, 20 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Pig Island (Paperback)
I am a huge Mo Hayder fan and have read all her books except this one. Somehow I just missed it. And I am not convinced it was worth finding. Like many other reviewers I felt rather let down by this excellent author, I was never really too sure where this book was going, what the author was aiming for. It seemed to lack direction. Two thirds of the way through I didn't really care very much about the story or the characters. I stuck with it and by the end I felt that yes it was a smart tale but not, strangely enough, very well told. Unusual for the great Mo Hayder. And like other reviwers have stressed, please don't choose this as the first book of your Hayder reading experience.

Carol: A Virago Modern Classic (VMC)
Carol: A Virago Modern Classic (VMC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Celebrate Carol, 16 Jun. 2015
I decided to read this novel after reading the glowing reviews for the film which has just been released. Also I've always meant to read the Ripley series but after seeing the films I always thought they would take the thrill out of the books. So I'm a newcomer to Ms Highsmith. I enjoyed the prose, the settings and the high emotion expressed in this tale of lesbian love. It's very much written in it's time, the Fifties and so is very atmospheric. It is not a novel in which a lot happens so you have to be patient. Basically it's a beautifully written love story. I recommend it but take your time with Carol.

When The Devil Holds The Candle (Inspector Sejer Book 4)
When The Devil Holds The Candle (Inspector Sejer Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful When, 16 Jun. 2015
My second Karin Fossum book lived and surpassed my first. I found this author in a second hand library and so, of course, am now reading the series out of order. Never mind - it's a great series by a writer who really knows how to tell a psychological thrilling tale. There are plenty of psychological thriller writers out there but few can hold a candle to Ruth Rendell - but Fossum comes pretty close. This is right out of Rendell's repetoire:disturbed woman, carefree youths, uncertain sexuality and unlikely death. In addition you have a deep, affectionate and unsure police detective. For psycho thriller lovers this is a series not to be missed. Wish I'd started from the beginning.

The Faithful Couple
The Faithful Couple

5.0 out of 5 stars Faithful Friends, 4 Jun. 2015
I thought Snowdrops was very good but The Unfaithful Couple is simply excellent. A marvellous story that you start uncomfortably and worried for Neil but soon ease into his friendship with Adam. You always know something dreaful is going to happen, and once it does the rest of the novel deals with it - or does it. This is a tremendous book about friendship, bonding and love. Unequal friendship but true love between mates. Written in that David Nicholls style but far, far better ( although Nicholls did deliver the goods in a very readable manner). This book makes you think but in a way that you want to keep returning to it just to find out how these two friends are going to navigate the misdeed that hangs over them. Can't wait for his next offering.

Killer: An Alex Delaware Novel (Alex Delaware Novels)
Killer: An Alex Delaware Novel (Alex Delaware Novels)
by Jonathan Kellerman

4.0 out of 5 stars Killer Killer, 31 May 2015
Kellerman's Killer maintains the very high standard of this series. Dr Delaware is directly threatened by a client and his nervous reaction and subsequent discovery that the threat was serious launches the reader into mother tremendous cat and mouse storyline. I thought this book was actually better than the previous one. So somehow Kellerman manages to stick to the well worked formula and yet delivers a high standard of dialogue, intrigue and continued back story delight.

Black Seconds
Black Seconds
by Karin Fossum
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright Black, 31 May 2015
My first Karin Fossum book and certainly not my last. A really well written crime thriller with those usual Nordic insights. But Fossum is a really talented writer. She is economical but at the same time fleshes out the characters and situations with rich narrative. A simple missing girl mystery is turned into insightful family dramas. A compelling book.

The Demon of Dakar (Ann Lindell Mysteries)
The Demon of Dakar (Ann Lindell Mysteries)
by Kjell Eriksson

4.0 out of 5 stars Determined Demon, 27 May 2015
AA lot of Nordic crime writing is an acquired taste. I would not recommend this book as an introduction to the genre although saying that I am not too sure where to start. I enjoy this sort of writing but you have to know what you're getting yourself in to. Slow paced, all sorts of aside observations about life, family and relationships. No dramatic crimes but interesting police procedural. Although one reviewer said sympathies lay with the Mexicans, in a way they also laid with Slobodan. I entered this series halfway through as I found the book in our secondhand library - I am sure, given time, I would start from the beginning.

Mr Mercedes
Mr Mercedes

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre Mercedes, 17 May 2015
This review is from: Mr Mercedes (Kindle Edition)
I admire Stephen King but have never read any of his books apart from his part autobiography and writing craft book. Chose this one as it won a best thriller award and looked intriguing from the Amazon free sample. And although it begins brilliantly I felt it rather tapered off in the last third of the book. Reading it in reasonable chunks I found you always wanted to return to the writing but the storyline became predictable. It really needed more suspense and twists and turns. Well constructed but lacked punch.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2015 3:01 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20