Profile for Scottigirl > Reviews

Content by Scottigirl

Scottigirl

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
My Sister's Grave (The Tracy Crosswhite Series Book 1)
My Sister's Grave (The Tracy Crosswhite Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 5 Jun. 2017
This is the type of book that you want to know how it ends but don't want it to end! Great characterizing and believable events. Will definitely read this author again.

Dying to Wake Up: A Doctor's Voyage into the Afterlife and the Wisdom He Brought Back

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, 26 Feb. 2017
I am reading this book while in the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford waiting for a triple heart bypass surgery on 28th February (3 days time). I cannot thank Dr. Part I enough for writing this book. I intend to 're-read it and hopefully practice what he has suggested. I am still apprehensive about my operation but not so afraid.

The Revolving Door of Life (The 44 Scotland Street Series Book 10)
The Revolving Door of Life (The 44 Scotland Street Series Book 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting as usual, 14 Oct. 2016
As always the characters are familiar and true to life although it might be difficult for a new reader, picking up this book at random to work out who's who and their relationships.

Four Waifs on our Doorstep
Four Waifs on our Doorstep

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rainbow's End, 28 Sept. 2016
What an inspiring book! The sheer energy, compassion and love shown to 'the four waits' is remarkable given the trials and tribulations these damaged children experienced. I know it's an over-used word but it really did make me feel humble.

I would suggest that this book should be compulsory reading for everyone in Social Services and be required to put into practice what they have learned.

Foul Deeds and Suspicous Deaths in Glasgow
Foul Deeds and Suspicous Deaths in Glasgow

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent well researched book But thoroughly spoiled by the abysmalallin, 14 Mar. 2016
Excellent well researched book but completely spoiled by dreadful spelling and grammar mistakes. Proof reader should be sacked, if one exists.

The Sunday Philosophy Club (Isabel Dalhousie Novels Book 1)
The Sunday Philosophy Club (Isabel Dalhousie Novels Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars What was that all about?, 4 May 2015
Does Alexander McCall Smith have a hang-up about crushedstrawberry coloured trousers and risotto? One of his characters, Bertie in 44 Scotland Street series hated his and characters in the Corduroy Mansion series were forever cooking that dish. SORRY, Isabel Dalhousie will have to go about her further business without me. This book is so pedestrian, long drawn out with two dimensional characters that I won't persevere with this series. Hard to believe this is the same author who wrote the Scotland Street and corduroy series. I might chance reading the Detective Agency books. They can only be an improvement on this.

The Apple: Crimson Petal Stories
The Apple: Crimson Petal Stories

3.0 out of 5 stars What was that about?, 25 April 2015
Well just as I thought these stories were leading somewhere and I thought I knew where - they ended!!! Anyone enlighten me?

A Conspiracy Of Friends (Corduroy Mansions Book 3)
A Conspiracy Of Friends (Corduroy Mansions Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 22 April 2015
I read all of the 44 Scotland Street series and this is the 3rd in the Corduroy Mansions series I have read. The characters are as well drawn as ever but somehow the book did not flow as well as before. The story of Hugh 's abduction in Colombia stretched credibility just too far.
I also became impatient with the author's habit of allowing the characters' private thoughts and ruminations to interrupt the story. For the first time I actually found myself skipping or glancing down the page to get back to the point. I was also surprised at the abrupt ending.

Coming Up Trumps: A Memoir
Coming Up Trumps: A Memoir

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful lady, 17 Feb. 2015
I narrowly missed meeting Baroness Trumpington when she visited Bletchley many years ago - how I wish I had. She is such a modest woman who, despite her protests, has c contributed so much to this country. The book could have been one long litany of name dropping but with her humour it was completely fascinating. I read it in two afternoons. As we Scots say 'Lang may her lum reek'.

Fat Chance
Fat Chance

4.0 out of 5 stars Language, language!, 20 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Fat Chance (Kindle Edition)
Excellent, easy to read, funny book. The characters are likeable & believable. BUT .......... was it really necessary to have just so much filthy swearing, particularly the C word? I'm no prude honestly but enough's enough. Not one for your maiden aunt!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4