Profile for Green Man > Reviews

Unusuals: Complete Series [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Unusuals: Complete Series [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth watching, 8 Mar. 2015
Really loved watching this series. Great lead actors. Enjoyed the team interactions and support. Quirky characters, but you could still root for them all. Shame it wasn't renewed for a second season. There was one storyline in particular that could have done with resolution.

Tower Lord: Book 2 of Raven's Shadow (A Raven's Shadow Novel)
Tower Lord: Book 2 of Raven's Shadow (A Raven's Shadow Novel)

4.0 out of 5 stars Because I enjoyed 4/5 of these view points and really didnt like ..., 6 Sept. 2014
Having been initially put off getting this book by some very negative reviews when I did get round to reading it it was a very plesant surprise. The trouble arises from the introduction of a new POV character who drags the rest of the book down with her. There are four main POV characters plus the chronicler from the first book. Because I enjoyed 4/5 of these view points and really didnt like the 5th I will review them seperately, spoilers ahead:

Reva- 4/5: A new character we meet early in the book that is on a mission to kill Vaelin and recover the Trueblade. She gives up on killing him after one go and follows him for a while as he promises to lead her to the blade. Reva is well written and interesting though somewhat cliched. A small niggle I had with her POV is the sudden introduction of a love interest near the end of the book that seemed somewhat forced, with no foreshadowing and in the middle of a huge seige she suddenly decides that she is in love with her uncle's whore/wife. She was already a very strong character and having her suddenly fall for her dying uncle's regent/courtesan felt rushed into the book. On the flipside this is a character who kicks a lot of ass throughout the book, has been through a lot, so I am happy she gets a happy ending.

Princess Lyrna- 2/5: I only read half of Lyrna's chapters and the book became immediately better when I started skipping her chapters up until the end where she got slightly more interesting. She basically spends half the book on a diplomatic mission up north and half as a newly captured slave, the slave part being much more interesting but still the weakest character. It's hard to put a finger on what made her quite so boring but I will try. She lacks any real personality, is a walking cliche, is stuck with a relatively boring storyline and is honestly a bit bland compared to the other characters.

Brother Frentis- 5/5: An old character given a voice you would expect him to read very similar to Vaelin and at some times he does, but only in a good way. He has the most awesome storyline by a mile, saved from gladiator slave pits where he was physically chained and bound to a seeminly immortal witch where he is bound magically, a painful remenant of his torture under one eye. Forced to travel, kill, and love a woman with no morals and mysterious powers his journe is dark and intriguing.

Vaelin Al Sorna 4/5: Vaelin continues to be badass as ever in this book, relying more and more on his blood song so much that the finale leaves you full of questions as to what will happen next. Whilst a pleasure to read the familiar character his storyline was lacking in the action that defined him in the first book, though this didn't make him any less interesting. His mentor like bond with Reva near the begginging was fun as he wondered why he was training someone who was seeking his death. I only give his storyline 4 stars because his whole story felt like it was building up to a finale which was a little bit of a let down, compared with some of the battles of the first book it was not very fleshed out, in fact more of the action actually happened in Reva's chapters.

The chronicler- 4/5: A newly captured slave at the beggning of the book his chapters are always written like a tease of what is to come. The mix of rebelious coward in his POV are interesting but it is quite obvious that he is a plot device to provide exposition for other characters. Despite this he is a distinctive character and I enjoyed his chapters. Chronologically his chapters happen near the very end of the book but are spread evenly throughout, at times making me want to read ahead (especially whilst reading Lyrna's chapter), and at times feeling like flat out exposition.

Dickies 83440B Redhawk Cargo Shorts 40-inch Waist - Black
Dickies 83440B Redhawk Cargo Shorts 40-inch Waist - Black
Offered by wholesale workwear

5.0 out of 5 stars Good material - good buy, 11 Oct. 2013
These shorts are made from a good quality/weight of material and not nearly as shiny in real life as the picture lead me to expect. They are a stylish shape on the body and fit well.

Lord Scoundrel Dies - A Regency Murder Mystery
Lord Scoundrel Dies - A Regency Murder Mystery

5.0 out of 5 stars Deft touch, 28 Aug. 2013
Kate Harper writes with a deft, light touch that makes her books so easy to read. This murder mystery, apparently the first in a series, is amusing throughout. The three main characters are likeable and the plot proceeds at a good pace. The transmutation from irritation to love between the hero and heroine was a little fast, but was otherwise believable and fun. The identity of the murderer was fairly guessable early on but that didn't spoil the enjoyment. I am looking forward to the next book.

Bleeding Out (OSI)
Bleeding Out (OSI)
by Jes Battis
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Change of style weakens this final book in series, 18 Sept. 2012
The writing in this series has become stronger as it has developed and I have certainly enjoyed the last three books in particular.
However, this concluding volume has a number of problems for me:
Firstly it is written in two different styles, with the heroine Tess having a considerable amount of internalised dialogue and a number of dream sequences out of the blue that just didn't fit with the usually matter of fact tone of the rest of the book/series. These sections of prose would have worked better if they had seemed more enlightening (to the character at least) and were more obviously flagged in the text. A few times it was not clear whether things were actually happening or just being imagined, until the reader could look back on the story moving on in the 'real' world.
Then there is a lot of emphasis on family in the book, but a startling lack of any relationship development or character progression. This made the whole thing feel flat.
The other thing that bothered me was the rather out-of-the-blue transformation of Tess during the final confrontation and the strange transaction/outcome arrived at. Sorry, that sounds rather cryptic, but I am trying not to give too much away.

Anyhow, I still quite enjoyed the book. I knew enough about the characters from the previous books to enjoy the action and understand where they were coming from. Shame it wasn't stronger though.

Keeping Secret (Secret McQueen Book 4)
Keeping Secret (Secret McQueen Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow ... didn't expect that, 14 July 2012
I am feeling conflicted. I love this series more with each book: great action and humour, plus a spunky heroine. Secret is maturing nicely. The ultimate destination is still wide open and there are plenty of interesting turns along the way. However, I hated one of the twists in this plot and I am now on the edge of my seat waiting for the next installment. I've definitely gone off one of the love interests in Secret's life! I have my fingers crossed that it will be OK eventually. In fact, Sierra Dean seems to be setting up another situation that I am going to hate, so I hope there is wriggle room in that one too.

It's a shame I devoured this on the day it was released. Roll on the next book.

Blood Royal: Blood Destiny, Book 5
Blood Royal: Blood Destiny, Book 5

5.0 out of 5 stars An addictive series, 12 Dec. 2011
I've zipped my way through this entertaining series and am now looking forward to Blood Queen coming out on 15th Dec. A great Christmas present from the author! The heroine, Lissa, is very likeable and her development is always interesting. I think the host of supporting characters works amazingly well and each is fleshed out with enough background and plotline. The character I find that I like least is Kifirin (slightly too all powerful but maybe with more face time he will be more interesting) and I hope that Gavin moves slightly off the fence to support Lissa more (or that she has a more equal relationship with someone else).

The Revenge Date
The Revenge Date

2.0 out of 5 stars Light confectionery but full of spelling mistakes, 12 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Revenge Date (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't decide whether to read this or not and then it came down in price to under a pound and I thought that I would give a go. I made the wrong choice. It sounded like a fun plot line, but in practice the story was so shallow that it was infuriating. The twist was obvious early on and since there was no character development the final HEA was unfortunately completely unbelievable. The poor spelling was an added irritant (some possibly a result of spellcheck guessing the wrong version).

Lucy in the Sky
Lucy in the Sky

2.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable chick-lit, 27 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Lucy in the Sky (Kindle Edition)
I've been enjoying myself trawling through various chick-lit authors recently (Janet Evanovich, Gemma Burgess etc), but found that this one was written in a very immature style. I wasn't convinced by the behaviour of the characters in any of the situations taking place. The main female character was pretty unlikable and selfish throughout. I certainly didn't empathise with her dilemma, particularly since she seemed to have made up her mind from the outset that she didn't/had never trusted her boyfriend. Why was she with him at all? I also hated the elephant/cracker joke theme as a means of adding dialogue/lightness/comedy. It just added to the general trivial feeling to the whole book. I made it to the end, but I won't be running to read anything else by this author.

Blood Ties - Complete Season 1 [DVD][2006]
Blood Ties - Complete Season 1 [DVD][2006]
Dvd ~ Christina Cox
Offered by marxwax

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, compared to the books, 18 Feb. 2011
I watch and read a reasonable amount of supernatural stuff, including the original Tanya Huff books that this TV series is based on. I ordered this DVD after reading the generally positive reviews, taking a gamble on the portrayal of Henry. Unfortunately, so far I am finding it a bit cringeworthy (3 episodes in). It is not subtle, the dialogue is clunky, the effects basic. I am not finding the fun in the dynamics between Vicky/Mike or Vicky/Henry that was such a great part of the books. Interestingly, I do like Henry in the series. Now I can't decide whether it is worth continuing, the rest of the family have drifted away bored. May be one more episode, since someone did say it gets better.....

Page: 1 | 2