Profile for Ms. Vanessa W > Reviews

Content by Ms. Vanessa W

Ms. Vanessa W "Vanessa W" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
ONEPRE Vintage Edison Light Bulb B22 Bayonet 40W Reproduction Filament Light Bulb
Offered by ONEPRE

5.0 out of 5 stars Super heritage feature of period home, 25 Aug. 2016
Looking for ways of emphasising our 1930 period features, after spotting these in a local shop. Here they are a quarter of the price and arrived fine, well packed and fitted all our standard bayonet fittings and work beautifully. They add distinction to rooms where we have hardly, if any lampshades, like the loo, or bathroom, or on a tiny glass drop overhead in a bedroom. Also they look very good on old lampbases and being not bright they look good anywhere. Super things.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Daewoo RC350BK-N Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner Hoover Energy Efficent A+ 3Ltr Capacity
Offered by First4Spares

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little buy, powerful and small, longevity to be seen., 18 July 2016
Just arrived and done one round of hoovering upstairs and down. Amazing little thing. After years of coping with an old Dyson 02 model, which has become temperamental, cutting out, possibly overheating, or filter probs, I decided, I wanted something new and above all --- lightweight. Not prepared to pay enough for a holiday on a hoover, this was never going to be a loss, so took a chance. After being informed the arrival date would be 9 days (25th July), it actually arrived this morning, only 3 days, so that's great. Easy to put on hose and head, the Dyson head fell off, so stuck with the Daewoo head which works fine and stays on. The cord is good, as it only retracts when you press a button and so you are not fighting against the wall plug, perfect. Not quite as long as the Dyson, about 2 foot shorter. But the power is just as powerful, super there. So I shall see how the longevity goes. But it's looking good! I'm very pleased, and no-ones seems to have as much carpet now as 20 years ago. It' packs so easily, it's tiny, and sits discreetly in a corner. Extra bags arrived with it, ordered separately, but it's fitted with a bag and spares, ready to go out of the box. I've just done the second usage, a quick zip round the living room rug, just as marvellous as ever, and so easy...this is great....!

Perfect English
Perfect English
by Ros Byam Shaw

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant, carefully selected visual feast., 1 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Perfect English (Hardcover)
My favourite interiors book and the one I look at most often, a beautiful careful selection of interiors. Bang on.

Crochet Workshop: Learn How to Crochet with 20 Inspiring Projects
Crochet Workshop: Learn How to Crochet with 20 Inspiring Projects
by Erika Knight

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring but could have had clearer step photos., 22 Aug. 2015
An inspiring and beautiful book. However for a beginner crochet, why are many of the projects knitted in double yarn, it makes it visually a great deal harder, and so I was forced to change the pattern to single yarn and hope it works to match the hook size. I'm still struggling to make the coasters look as smart as the picture, there are no diagrams to show where exactly the chain spaces are, or treble spaces are that are instructed in each project, only a general instruction at the beginning, so it's a bit hit and miss and so the results are very variable to me. Some step by step photos of the early rounds which are crucial to the coasters/ each project would have been better. Or a free You tube video link for step instructions for each project....

Alan Turing: The Enigma: The Book That Inspired the Film The Imitation Game
Alan Turing: The Enigma: The Book That Inspired the Film The Imitation Game
by Andrew Hodges

4.0 out of 5 stars Super biography, 17 April 2015
A superbly thorough biography of a complex pioneer that Turing was. Although the advanced theories and maths might seem beyond for many, I simply skim the details as my GCSE maths doesn't run to that level, but it does not hinder my enjoyment of the book. It just read as such a great tragedy that his early death, whether suicide or accident, removed such a great person from the modern age of computers having brought them so far for us. It certainly shows cracking enigma and inventing computers was a good deal more complex than the film was able to show, so worth reading this to get the whole picture. A man greatly ahead of his era which isn't often easy to be.

Mr. Turner (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2014]
Mr. Turner (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Timothy Spall
Offered by M & L UK

3.0 out of 5 stars worth watching, 5 Mar. 2015
I saw this in the cinema and it is visually very beautiful and certainly as an artist myself, very inspiring to keep me on the journey of art. However some of the scenes are slow, yet 'real' in pace, particularly the dinner table scenes, yes, the death scenes take too long. But in spite of those, enjoy the rest. Brilliant costumes, subtle and colourful. I felt it should have a bit more actual dialogue as Turner had plenty to say according to the biographies in spite of his private nature and cockney background. I can see though that the less he says the more we can impose our own imagination. I think if Leigh could have got more money, a trip to Venice would have livened things up. But nevertheless a good film, and worth seeing twice. I think Leigh should make another one, when he can get a bigger budget but he did well with this. I particularly enjoyed the father, old Turner, who showed warmth and could give the film energy. The deleted scenes were very short, and some might well have been fitted in, a lovely one of Turner sitting under some beautiful big old trees with knobbly trunks. Another of the sea rippling with sunset on.

Sissinghurst: An Unfinished History
Sissinghurst: An Unfinished History

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book, must buy., 1 Mar. 2015
I love this book, superbly and lovingly written, mixing history with modern perspective. It's also superb on audiobook which is equally lovely. Must buy.

Sea Room
Sea Room

4.0 out of 5 stars A good worthwhile calming read, 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Sea Room (Paperback)
I'm enjoying this book very much, an engaging journey around this Scottish isles, when one might think there wasn't that much to say. But Nicolson as often is the case, makes it very readable and personable. Helps calm the mind as well.

Perch Hill: A New Life
Perch Hill: A New Life

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, keep it updated publishers., 10 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Perch Hill: A New Life (Paperback)
A lovely read and a fascinating insight into the creation of the beauty of Perch Hill. Some practicalities seem unclear though, how are they surviving to run it all? Was Sarah's flower garden and books supporting them all? If things were tight why take on so many acres, why not something smaller less daunting? Nevertheless, a lovely read, and I hope this book will be regularly updated every ten years as much as happened since now that it has developed into a prominent flower garden business. My paperback copy did not display the nice photo as shown here, which was annoying.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars no good for me...., 12 Dec. 2014
have found this hard to use. Plug charger does not adapt into white travel plug unless you know the type. It appears at first to not work at all and be a foreign fitting, further emails were needed to clarify how it really needed a hard push to connect the two. When I finally found my way around the menu, the images projected go into an auto slideshow, which I don't want. But although I can pause this, the images are so bad after focusing of course, they look like a very very old bad TV quality with severe bitmatting, even though my Olympus tough compact camera took high res (2mg jpegs) good images, it doesn't compare to an old slide projector. So it's no good to me, I really expected more from the sound of the reviews above. The refund was processed well and quickly with all the postage on top so thank you for that.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5